Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

First consultants meeting

Hiya, we are seeing the Consultant for the first time tomorrow, we were referred by CHAMs who is sure she will diagnose Aspergers and ADHD.

I was just wondering what will happen, they have done lots of observations at school. Myself and school have filled in the Conners scale forms, the ADOS thing is done (although very short), I filled in the Long Sensory form - not sure what thats called and his teacher has answered questions about how he is at school. They also have a diary that I kept for over a year about he daily behaviour - quite sad reading.

We she diagnose there and then or will we do more form filling, answer questions etc and will they do more obs on DS?

I also wondered whether it would be a good idea to type out what he was like from birth to take in.

Sorry if I sound a bit think but I just want to be prepared really. Its also all my children's sports day all day tomorrow and DS is extremely stressed and so will be even worse tomorrow!! eek

Thanks a lot

CAHMS diagnosed my boy, so not sure why you are being sent to consultant, consultant what by the way? Enid

This is still CHAMs but this time we are seeing the consultant. Perhaps the other person doe sthe initial assessment and then passes it on. Maybe?

This is still CHAMs but this time we are seeing the consultant. Perhaps the other person doe sthe initial assessment and then passes it on. Maybe?

We had an initial assesment for my son, done by a Speach and Language therapist and then she referred us to the consultant - we had to answer lots of questions that we'd already done on the forms, and she asked when we noticed various things, like a lack of language, and when he started walking. It might be an idea to write these sorts of things down, because we found it difficult to think straight when we were in the meeting!

Another person took my son to one side and did some games to asses his language and understanding while the consultant asked us the questions. He then gave a verbal report to the consultant and the diagnosis was made there and then.

It's difficult to know exactly what will happen as things are done differently depending where you are, but I hope that's of some use!

Good luck and let us know how it goes >:D<<'>

When my sons were assessed at CAMHS they were under the care of a child and adolescent psychiatrist; the main assessments were carried out by a clinical psychologist and SALT (they'd both already been seen by Ed Psych at school); the final diagnosis once all the results were in was made by the psychiatrist (he also assessed them). Not sure if this is the way it is everywhere, just the way they did it when we lived up North. They were brilliant. I moved down south a few years back and I'm thankful all the time that my boys were already dx when we moved, because the CAMHS down where we live now is pants.

Sorry didn't mean to digress! Basically what I'm saying is everywhere is different. It sounds to me like your son has been through the assessment process already and hopefully the consultant tomorrow will be ready to give you the result of those assessments.

Good luck for tomorrow >:D<<'>

Flora

Flora, thats sounds like what has happened here with DS. We are seeing the Consultant Child Psychiatrist tomorrow.

We are in Devon and I must admit that since we have been in the system things have progressed very quickly, I started really fighting hard in September. My Doctor has never been interested so I gave up and went through the school Parent in Partnership in the end. She is great but I think she got so fed up with me that she would do anything to shut me up to be honest! :wacko:

Thanks lovelies