thebuzzer

Calm Area/Room?

Hi, 2 posts in one evening I am on a roll!

DS is at his end of Year 1 at a village primary of about 380 pupils. It has been recommended by the LA Inclusion Team and other agencies that DS has a calm room or area he can go to when he is upset, overloaded etc..... I am sure you all know what I mean!!

The school cannot provide anywhere and I wonder if any of your schools have somewhere that your ASD children go?

DS goes off to his room, he hates to be held or touched when he is in his 'rage' stage, but unfortunately they have to hold him for his and others safety at school, but it does lengthen and increase the meltdown. I really feel it he had a room he could get too and be left to lay down in there (this calms him) things would improve. They also speak to him when they are doing the hold saying 'we are keeping you safe' ' we will let do when you are calm' but reading books etc on ASD meltdowns it says talking can send them even more over the edge. With DS it is definitely as if he cannot hear you or process what is being said.

I feel so useless, I just want to help him and feel foiled at every move!!!! :wallbash:

DS takes himself to the loo, he does this at home too and I send him to his room to cool off as nothing else works. At school he wanders around playing with cars or lego men when in the loo. I think they sometimes sit him in the cloak room outside the classroom to calm down. They have 2 rowing machines in the class room and I know he uses those fairly often which is probably to releive tense situations.

If I restrained DS during a meltdown I think he would cause me some damage to be honest so I wouldn't want the teacher doing it either. He often sits on the floor and kicks out at me.

Edited by Sooze2

Our school hasnt got a safe/calm room but they have let my son use a small classroom or the medical room, I think that schools should build and provide a calming room, a bit like a sensory room for children with a statement/special needs because mainstream setting bring on triggers like noise, crowds ect,,, At home we have a home made sensory room, its brilliant, loads of lights, bean bags, music, we did it together, decorating it, J decided on what went in it and what colours that are soo relaxing and its that effective I fall to sleep in it, but having it at home means that the aggression, rages, distroying the house no longer occurs, we can bring him back down before it rises, having this sensory room is respite for the pair of us, it gives us both a small break, giving instant reprieve, its safe and its a nice place to be, I worried about the room been destroyed but he doesnt get that far because the room is a preventative measure, in the room is lego, kenex, tactile toys, balls, and even music equiptment.

Its a great intervention for us at home I think they should be everywhere, schools, hospitals,gp surgeries and even supermarkets.

As for communication in a rage, it should be direct and clear, no waffle or lengthy explanations, I do say, Im keeping you safe, I will let go when you will not hit me, until then I remain holding him, but again since the room has been done, I dont have to restrian him at home, this is in other venues where he has lashed out and become distressed and only until we have found a safe place then when I know he wont hit out I let him go instantly.

The reason for not too much communication is because the brain cant obsorb it.

I was told by a childrens service to explain what is happening, decribe in detail what he is doing, why it is unaceptable and go on and on to J, looking back I just wound him up, the specailised developmental service that I now use said not to go on long winded stories and keep it clear and almost robotic, it feels a bit cold and no emotion but its what he needs and its working.

Its sometimes trial and error, what may work for one child wont for another but I think the calm areas do work for all, they certainly relax me.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

J's school doesn't have a room at the moment but will be making one in the summer holidays for him and another lad to use, and anyone else who they feel will want to/need to use it. Which I think is a fab idea

My sons school have a small corner in the library where he goes to if he needs to. It has bean bags and is quite enclosed. The other children are fantastic - and know if he's there, to leave him alone and get an adult.

There are other solutions to holding him. I'm assuming there are two adults with him when he's held? A quiet hallway, corner of a room, or something similar - where the adults can be very near if needed (and also to keep him in one area for the others safety) would be better. I only restrain my son if he's self-harming or trying to run & will put himself in danger.

Here's a link to the OASIS site - it has stacks of great information you can print out and give to the teachers to explain that the strategy (constant talking etc..) they use wont help him.

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>