LicklePaulie

G'Day, Bonjour, Hi, Buenos Dias, etc.

Greetings and salutations.

I thought I'd take a brief moment to introduce myself.

The name's Paul, aged 43, living in the Easy Midlands, working in the West Midlands and diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome in September of 2007.

I have been subject to all the usual problems with relationships, work, finances, authorities, etc, etc and look forward to gleaning and offering advice and experience frequently in the future.

I should also point out that this may often be on the behalf of others who might wish to remain anonymous - on discovering the paucity of services available to adults on the spectrum (clearly, having briefly perused this Forum, not a situation isolated to this area of the country) my wife and I started a peer support group for adults with ASD and their families/significant others. I'm hoping this shouldn't be an issue but am sure the Moderators will inform me if it is!

Anyway, that's me and why I'm here. I hope to find and offer much help through these pages in the future.

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

I am 26 and I was diagnosed with AS last year as well. I am also having difficulty accessing any kind of support in my area :wallbash:

It's perfectly fine to ask for advice to pass on to other people. It would probably be a good idea to mention when you are talking about another person, since other forum members might get confused if they don't realise. Confusion can lead to mistrust, which is not good for anybody.

Thanks all for the welcome :thumbs:

It's perfectly fine to ask for advice to pass on to other people. It would probably be a good idea to mention when you are talking about another person, since other forum members might get confused if they don't realise. Confusion can lead to mistrust, which is not good for anybody.

I shall of course do this, Tally, because I might otherwise seem even more mixed up than I actually am :whistle:

Hi there fellow Aspergian!

I too have Aspergers (am female) and wish somebody had told me before. I was previously diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, split personality and finally Aspergers and it made such sense reading the books .... it was me as a child and me now!

For those of you that don't know, in the UK you are able to claim DWP (disability living allowance) and it is not means tested. The number to ring is 0845 7123456 and if you earn less than �95 per week (if your partner earns more, the second parent can claim) you are able to claim Carer's Allowance (don't know the number off the top of my head but you can get it off the DWP.

Anyway, the forms are a pain in the ######, most people I know got refused first time but always usually get it when they reapply straight away and it is backdated 3 months!

Always put down the "worst scenario" for any question. Don't hold back!

And to those of you that have just had a child diagnosed, they have not changed just because they got a label. They are still the same wonderful gift they were but some people go through a grieving process (I know I did) but come out the other end seeing what a wonderful gift Aspergers can sometimes be.

Alright, I am the first to admit our Son can drive me mad (espeically now he is currently with me 24/7 - see my posting emigrating to New Zealand .... DON'T EVER DO IT YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN SANE LOL).

Anyway just thought I would mention the DWP and Carer's allowance cause I never knew until another parent told me!

Cheers!

Queenfan .... my life long obsession .... RIP Freddie.