Mumble

Tetanus Jabs

Does anyone know how long a tetanus booster jab lasts - I had mine 6 years ago and on the internet some places say it lasts 5 years and some 10 years - which is true? And how bad does a cut have to be for this to be an issue? I've been pulling up brambles today and have (accidentally) given myself some cuts across my arms (how ironic when this was supposed to stop me harming myself :wacko::lol:) from the old, dirty thorns on the brambles. :oops: I've cleaned them and put some antiseptic cream on them - I might need to dress one of them if it doesn't stop bleeding (where's the 'ouch' emoticon? :unsure:) - this will be OK won't it? By the way, what is tetanus or what does it protect against?

Hiya >:D<<'>

Ouch!! to the brambles!!

My docs told me 10 years when i out my foot through some rotten floorboards a couple of years ago. If you have cleaned yr arm and put some antiseptic cream of some desc on it it should be fine.

Tetanus is a bacterial infection usually caught from germs that live in soil/dirt (or dirty) conditions.

Yr last jab should provide adequate protection but if your arm starts to hurt more at the wound site in the next few days I'd double check with yr doc just to make sure.

>:D<<'>

I was also told 10 years, but I wouldn't worry too much about brambles as they should be quite clean! I thought tetnus could be caused by rusty things too ( I stood on very long rusty nail when I was about 12 and had to have a jab ( I guess my parents forgot to renew my tetnus before that!)

But that reminds me that I can't remember when I last had one - probably when I was 12! and that was 25 years ago!

Edited by MichelleW

Oh oh I know the answer to this one!

Llisa's right, of course.

B had a jab pre-school, and because it lasts 10 years, he had to have another one at Easter. You know all the archaeological digs that he goes on? they won't let you dig without an up-to-date jab. And it lasts 10 years.

Bramble scratches are very painful, but usually tetanus lurks in the soil and it's deep wounds that cause problems.

Use a machete next time!

>:D<<'>

10 years I believe AND I was also told by a nurse that if you have 3 boosters you are immune for life...unfortunately I am old enough to have the 3 boosters :rolleyes:

Mumble I've been told I don't need to have another as I had the full series at school. Now days they seem to think that as long as you had the series of jabs while at school you are protected for life. Hence when I have been out to Kenya they won't give me a booster even though it is longer than the period they used to say they last for. I was told they might give me one if I got a really serious cut but even then I shouldn't really need it, they'd just do it as a precaution. I guess they read my file and noticed how many times I needed stitches, etc... as a child. I cut my chin open riding a trike into the rock garden, forehead doing a summersault off a seesaw and my knee open falling over in a river pulling a kayak. Not that I used to be a disaster area or anything. Hence why my mum thinks I have an entire flock of guardian angels. Plus managed to survive prising a plug out of a socket with a knife. I can't remember doing it but the knife is still around and has a rather large hole burnt in it. Apparently I didn't hurt myself at all. Seem on the whole to have grown out of it at least. Only recent adventure was the plunge down a mountain side.