Karen A

Discrimination due to AS diagnosis

Hi All.I was wondering if any adults with AS or adults with older teenagers could help me out with some information although I ask the question with some trepidation. :wacko:

Have you or has the individual you have a relationship [DS/DD/partner] been treated differently in employment or other areas in a negative way because of an AS Dx or do you think that might be the case ?

We are anticipating obtaining a clear decision regarding a Dx of AS for Ben in September as we now have a date for the 3DI.

[For those who don't know us so well it has been a long process and Ben may not end up having AS but professionals have not been able to agree.]

Ben is very bright.I have been wondering in the last couple of days whether obtaining an AS Dx could be a negative thing in some cases.

We are keen to make an informed decision before going ahead with the 3DI.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone who has experience of being treated negatively at work or has not been selected for a job and it is related to AS Dx would help me out.

I am also interested in any other areas of life such as driving,obtaining life insurance etc.

It does appear that the only area where discriminatory practice is permitted is within the armed forces.However I am keen to find out how things are in practice.Thanks Karen.

If Ben chooses not to reveal his diagnosis at interview, his employer will have no way of finding out what is on his medical records. Many undiagnosed aspies apply for jobs without revealing their condition and are simply seen as a bit odd, shy, obsessive, lacking in social skills or many other things. Not revealing the diagnosis would mean he could not later request special adjustments, so he would have to be fairly sure he would not need them if he chose this option.

I was already in my current job when I got my diagnosis. My employer seemed to take it very well when I told them about it. I said that I did not think I would need any special adjustments because I felt that I was coping OK with the job, and I hoped they would tell me if there were any problems. They said that they were very happy with my work, so I think there are no problems.

I have to say that the requests that I apply for supervisory vacancies have dried up. But I don't think I could cope with a supervisory role anyway, and I already felt that way before I had even heard of AS. In one way I feel disappointed that they think this diagnosis means I would not be capable of it, but in another sense, maybe they just understand now why I have always said no. Or maybe I just said no so many times that they finally got the message and it's just a coincidence.

I've been quite lucky really, but I know that it is not the same for everyone. I think that, because I already had a proven record with this employer, they were more willing to recognise that it was not a bad thing.

I have had nothing but positive experiences after my dx, especially at work :thumbs:

BUT, I work in a residential special school, so the level of understanding about ASD is great, plus I had worked there for over 2 years when I got my dx.

Having said that, I was asked to apply for the role of team leader after my line manager knew I'd been referred for assessment, and I got the promotion.

Also, none of the staff where I work are what I would call 'mainstream' people, so as a whole everyone is very accepting of difference and individuality :D

I'm guessing things would be very different if I worked in a commercial setting...

I am proud of who I am and happy to talk about my AS although only as it arises naturally. I haven't needed to ask for any real adjustments, other than my colleagues understanding when I have trouble word finding or formulating what I want to say (oh, and not having the fan on when it's hot because I can't cope with the noise!)...but then my job is very routine-led, with few variables, etc, so it's easy for me to do it well (I found working as day staff much harder and would never have gone for a team leader job then as the role is very different). Colleagues have said how different I am since I swapped to nights, that I've 'come out of my shell'...I think that's because when I worked as day staff so much of my emotional and intellectual energy was taken up with 'coping' and worrying about getting it wrong socially that I was very quiet :lol:

Bid :)

Also, none of the staff where I work are what I would call 'mainstream' people, so as a whole everyone is very accepting of difference and individuality :D

I work with a bunch of weirdos too :lol:

Thanks. :)

Although I do not have a Dx of anything I have also decided in the past to not apply for more senior nursing posts because I did not wish to deal with the stress of management.I also wanted to be a nurse and not a manager.So I think that deciding where individual strengths are and thinking about whether some jobs may not be for you for whatever reason is fine.I was wondering whether there are cases where individuals could do a particular job very well but are not given the oppurtunity because of missconceptions.....if everyone has positive experiences like both of you it will be good news. :thumbs::thumbs: Karen

At the place I was working when I was dx'd (office environment), people gave me the cold shoulder as soon as they found out. Admittedly they gave me the cold shoulder before I was dx'd so, having thought back and analysed it, I've come to the conclusion that they were just a bunch of complete [insert VERY rude word here]s.

Since then some places are good (like where am I now) and some places are bad. How much this is down to AS and how much is down to just people in general though is a question for another day.

Hope things go well

The engineering industry is not know for its support of diversity in any shape or form. Most senior engineers are WASPs in origin and hold a highly conservative outlook. The level of understanding of Asperger syndrome is very low. There's also been a trend in recent years away from employing quirky technically minded people more interested in restoring an old Jeep at weekends rather than partying, towards people who are more commercially aware and possess highly refined NT people skills.

It does appear that the only area where discriminatory practice is permitted is within the armed forces.However I am keen to find out how things are in practice.

I really really wish I could say that people see the person and their assets rather than the DX. And before I say anything else the DX has been beneficial to me. BUT, and it's a big but, I have experienced severe discrimination to the point it has led me to self-destruction. The armed forces may be the only ones who are legally allowed to use the DX against you, but others have many many backdoor ways. It's one of those rock/hard place situations. Not enough people know about ASDs to be willing to see the individual in employment decisions, but unless we get a chance, those changes are not going to happen. :(

I was looking for my post on a similar thread the other day but can't find it, but to summarise: As far as I can tell, JP's dx hasn't held him back so far. He works in the public sector which I think makes a huge difference. We thought it better to disclose than otherwise & so far that was a wise decision. They made adjustments for him at the recruitment stage, & he must be doing ok as back in Feb they asked him to be a positive role model for their "Valued in Public" day, about getting disabled peeps into the public sector.

Thats not to deny your experience at all Mumble >:D<<'> I know it has been very different for you. There are bound to be positive & negative experiences on here.