Sign in to follow this  
Jannih

Women & ASD Diagnosis

At this moment in time I am querying that I might have an ASD. In true aspie fashion I have been diligently researching the subject on the internet.

I am thinking of going for an assessment and from what I have read it seems that not only would I be disadvantaged with the help I receive because I am an adult but there is also a problem with diagnosing women with the condition if they do not fit the standard AS quotient test of being into numbers or obesessively fascintated by an inaminate object of some kind.

Tony Attwood , an expert in this field, believes that it affects women differently as they might be more inclined to suffer in silence rather than act out aggressively. He also discovered that some women were obsessed with classical literature eg. Shakespeare & potery etc. In my case it was classical mythology. The other obession being animals. That brings back memories of my younger autistic sister looking for and collecting earwigs that she subsequently hid in my dad's jacket with disastrous consequences i.e they multiplied in vast numbers !

What I m trying to say here is that , is there someone who can recommend a practitioner / clinic who does not squeeze women into a rigid male dominated criteria and do you think that this could be another feminist issue.

Jannih

On behalf of the moderating team, can I just ask that any recommendations are made by PM please

Edited by Tally

Blimey Tally you trying to blind me. Please not the red text :unsure:

Ouch. Ditto.

Jannih, I hope this doesn't stop discussion as it's an important issue. I am a female dx'ed as an adult (by the NHS). However, and I think unlike most of the female ASD adults here, I do fit the more 'male' criteria - I scored 'full marks' on the AQ :unsure: and as for folk physics tests - well let's just say I enjoyed them :unsure:

Hopefully some of the 'lipstick aspies' (that's what they call themselves, not me being insulting! :) ) will be along to answer your question as to issues surrounding how AS can manifest in females. As to dx, I think you will be limited, I assume you've already checked with the NAS for a list (if going private). Maybe you could write to them briefly and outline your concerns and start to get a feel for their positions based on any response you get?

Hiya Dinah,

Actually the tests for male and female are the same. The criteria is the same. The presentation of the criteria is what is different and most assessers will recognise that. However, the presentation is not only different between male and female, it is different between every individual.

My son has AS, and he is not obsessed with numbers and never has been (unless he is counting his savings!!!). However, like most teenage boys he is obsessed with computers and video games, a far more stereotypical thing to be obsessed with!

Lipstick aspie was coined by a female AS member, who recognised that the streotypical view of aspie women not being interested in their appearance, was not true to all.... I think medical term is 'clinically well dressed' :lol:

Going back to your question Dinah, I think as mumble suggested it would be a good idea to start with the NAS and see what they recommend.

Speaking from my own POV, I was dx at the beginning of this year. I chose to seek this out. I think there are lots of reasons why I wasn't dx younger, not least because the AS dx wasn't applied in those days! However, even now I think I would have slipped through the net IYKWIM. I did negotiate my way through life, sometimes very painfully with distressing results, but I did, and still do. Possibly because I was able to watch and learn, and ACT. NT reactions were never, and still aren't, automatic for me. However, I have found that if I take time to process things, the reaction is more my 'own' and true to me, rather than a knee jerk, or copied response (which in both cases can bring catastrophic results!!! ).

Hope this makes sense.

Flora :D

I did negotiate my way through life, sometimes very painfully with distressing results, but I did, and still do. Possibly because I was able to watch and learn, and ACT. NT reactions were never, and still aren't, automatic for me. However, I have found that if I take time to process things, the reaction is more my 'own' and true to me, rather than a knee jerk, or copied response (which in both cases can bring catastrophic results!!! ).

Hope this makes sense.

Flora :D

Hi Flora

Yes, that does make sense .thanks.

Jannih

Hi, I am a female that has been diagnosed and can give you the name of a couple of people who are aware that the constellation of symptoms can be different in females, if you pm me this does not mean milder in my book. My audiotry processing is that of a 5 year old but to others observing me I appear able to understand but I've just developed a sophisticated advanced form of echolalia. Ihave loads of anxiety and can't answer phones the door or cope with uncertainties