Sign in to follow this  
biff

Got DX

On monday, been spending most of the week allowing it to sink in. They said he doesn't have AS but it is high functioning autism that he has. It is still sinking in really, Dad has taken it harder than me because he blocked it all out through the diagnosis period which was difficult for me because he didn't want to talk about it. He hasn't spoken much about it since Monday but he is coming to terms with it now.

We are just going to enjoy the summer hols now, the school have the report so no doubt we will have a meeting with them as he starts year 1.

Glad you have some answers now. Give yourselves some time for it to sink in.

The autism diagnosis might be better in terms of seeking support, as some services are not available for people with Asperger's, only for autism. It doesn't necessarily mean your son will have additional difficulties. The differences between AS and HFA are to do with early development, and don't reflect adult outcome.

On monday, been spending most of the week allowing it to sink in. They said he doesn't have AS but it is high functioning autism that he has. It is still sinking in really, Dad has taken it harder than me because he blocked it all out through the diagnosis period which was difficult for me because he didn't want to talk about it. He hasn't spoken much about it since Monday but he is coming to terms with it now.

We are just going to enjoy the summer hols now, the school have the report so no doubt we will have a meeting with them as he starts year 1.

our DS has a dx of high-functioning autism, too. His dad took it quite hard, because although he knew it was likely to happen, he hadn't really come to terms with it.

We've found the support we've had from the school and other agencies to be fantastic :thumbs: I do hope it's the same for you.

As you say, enjoy the hols and make sure you talk to the school in September. We're about a year down the line from where you are, so I'll be very glad to help if I can.

>:D<<'> Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi,

My ds got high functioning autism dx in December rather than AS which at first had been suggested prior to the assesments at cdc.

I have found that I have been able to get lots of support for ds and a statement he is 4 and due to start reception.

Be kind to yourself, it's a strange time. Even though I knew he was on the spectrum and the dx was no real suprise I found it hit me very hard.

take care

well done on the diagnosis, it takes a bit of time to sink in.

Enjoy the summer.

Nic x

Edited by Nic m

Thanks for your kind replies. No doubt I will take you up on your offers of advice Nicky! Have had our first tantrum of the school hols today, thankfully it was a short lived one, he mainly gets them when he is tired. It was because I said one thing and did another. You have to be on the ball constantly! I am knackered! Looking forward to a beer now and just about to watch Celebrity Masterchef! I want Mark to win but I doubt he will after yesterday!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for your kind replies. No doubt I will take you up on your offers of advice Nicky! Have had our first tantrum of the school hols today, thankfully it was a short lived one, he mainly gets them when he is tired. It was because I said one thing and did another. You have to be on the ball constantly! I am knackered! Looking forward to a beer now and just about to watch Celebrity Masterchef! I want Mark to win but I doubt he will after yesterday!

Thanks everyone!

That's the thing we found hardest of all at first :wallbash: - constantly having to be one step (at least) ahead. It does become second nature after a while :D

I just spent the last 2 hours catching up on the soaps ( I REALLY need to get a life :lol: )

>:D<<'>

Its a" biggie " however you look at it and however hard you have fought for it, when you get it, it hits home, hard. We all know on this forum, thats whats so brill about it :thumbs:� sending you� >:D<<'>� >:D<<'>� >:D<<'> , you`ll need them. :lol: Enid

Thanks everyone. This forum has been invaluable this past few months. Even though I am new to this, just reading the posts helps even though I don't feel confident enough yet to give advice incase it's wrong, it is good to have all the info on here to hand.

One thing I would like to ask if I may, what is the best way to discuss it with your child. I have only discussed it very briefly with him as he is only 5, he got upset and asked me why he gets things muddled up sometimes. So I explained it to him in a way he could understand, I just said his brain gets a but muddled sometimes, but so does everybodies! And I said that even though sometimes he gets muddled, that he is super clever at reading and computers and tried to focus on the positives. I have explained to him that he will get a lovely helper when he starts year 1 and he will get loads of hugs from Mum and Dad every day when he tries his best.

He seemed to accept this and now when he gets muddled up or forgets what he is meant to be doing, he seems to understand why and he calls it his magic brain which I thought was really sweet. :D

He seemed to accept this and now when he gets muddled up or forgets what he is meant to be doing, he seems to understand why and he calls it his magic brain which I thought was really sweet. :D

That's lovely >:D<<'>

I haven't really managed to talk to DS about his dx yet - he doesn't say much and it's difficult to hold a proper conversation with him. I don't think we give him enough credit for what he does understand, though. I'll have to try and talk to him about it again :)

I know what you mean! Thats why I chose a time where he was upset because he is more likely to listen to you if he is sulking and is less likely to talk about cars or computer games!

When he does his finger flapping in front of his eye, he calls that 'busy hands' he says he is trying to tidy up all the things and sounds out of his brain that he doesn't want to look at. He says Mum I need to do busy hands so stop talking!

I know what you mean! Thats why I chose a time where he was upset because he is more likely to listen to you if he is sulking and is less likely to talk about cars or computer games!

I hadn't really thought of it like that - I'm usually just relieved that he's calmed down !

I might give that a try :thumbs:

Its mixed emotions isn't it? Every test that our son had came back "normal" and we were pleased, yet we knew there was something wrong. When the doctor said It's autism, i never heard another word. My hubby got very upset and said it wasn't. it took him a long time and several other experts opinions for him to admit it was. Enjoy the summer. Now you have the dx you can get the help you need to give your child the best help.

Most of us on here have been at the stage you are at. We are all in this together, i wish this web site had been around 12 years ago.