Sign in to follow this  
Julieanne

fascination with spray bottles

I was cleaning up ( as i always do as jay constantly trashes my house! lol) and then i hear my eldest son screaming... :o

jay had sprayed suncream in his eyes.. :( .so i get him cleaned up and thankfully no damage was done...then i get jay cleaned up as he was covered...told jay off but he just laughs as he thinks its all a game, he hasnt got the capacity to understand that things like that are potentially very dangerous... :wallbash:

then i turned around.....

looked into my bedroom and my bed, over bed unit, walls, quilt, pillows, all bedroom furniture, carpet, windows were covered in this damn suncream...so i have spent the last 2 hours shampooing the carpet, cleaning off the suncream which isnt easy as it is waterbased and :wallbash:

now im going to have to redecorate my room as it has eaten through the paint to the plaster...makes you wonder what is in suncream!! :unsure:

then walking past stairs to go down to check jay i notice that in spare room he has done the same!!!! :o

im so damn exhausted....3 days in....and i cant make him understand what he has done is wrong...

we have to lock all doors as it is, and i literally went to get some washing to take upstairs got sidetracked forgot my door and spare room wasnt locked and jay got in and caused havoc! i understand it is my fault as i should have been more aware, but im so tired :(

just makes me feel like crying...i feel so alone! :tearful:

does anyone elses child with ASD and a mental age of younger years, do this type thing? ( jay is mentally 3...but 8 in years)

my house feels like a prison :crying:

just wondered if i was alone?

hugs Julie xx

Oooh yes!!!!! but it was me who did the suncream!! I always have the roll on ones from A*** but they dont do them this year so brought a spray, we go on the beach a lot as we live right by it, and I always cover them b4 we go, never burnt them yet, and DD is a redhead. So they line up and make a game of it, when full covered in suncream they do the "suncream dance" till its dry enough to put their costumes on! So I sprayed the stuff and it came out really fast and went up the walls on the landing, I thought I`ll do that when I get back, couldnt believe it had taken the paint off!!! like you say what is in it!!! and we are putting it on our kids bodies!! chin up, only 5 and a half weeks to go :whistle: . Mine is downstairs kicking the doors as we speak/type >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

Edited by Enid

Our fascination wasn't spray bottles but putting things down the bathroom sink and blocking it up with tissue. No matter how many times we told him, we couldn't get him to stop!

He put tissue down the sink and left the tap on last year and the entire bathroom was flooded and destroyed!

It is so frustrating and you have to have eyes in the back of your head!

He just gradually stopped doing it, it was frustrating because when we got cross he would just laugh. We ignored it and distracted him with other things and over time he did stop thankfully. (But then went onto peeling wallpaper and chewing it) :wallbash:

Sorry if I haven't been a good deal of help but at least I know how you feel! >:D<<'>

Ooh, poor you! We had a water fascination for the longest time, and my little darling managed to flood our downstairs neighbours flat 3 times in one year!! Oh, the shame!! :blink: Like biff's littlun, my lad just couldn't stop filling the sinks with water...it was nightmarish! Every school he's attended has had bathroom floods, courtesy of my son!! He DID stop eventually, if that's any help?

Would he understand it if you said he cannot touch spray bottles, but then get him a range of his own to use at bathtime? You could put a few drops of different food colourings or essences in each one and let him spray to his hearts delight, but if he touches any others, they could be banned for a night? Would that work? More difficult as he's younger mentally, but it might be worth a try? If nothing else, its great fun, something my two lads both enjoyed enormously. Or even put some colouring in the bathwater itself, they enjoy that too- when we add green here, Lijey says he's in alien goo- yuk!

A word to the wise though- be sparing with the colouring! I once added just a teensy bit too much to the water tray at a nursery placement and all the kids went home red-handed-literally!!

:lol:

Thank god the parents were understanding!!