Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

L's Headteacher called me!

L broke up for summer hols last wednesday. On Friday, I had a phonecall from his headteacher.

He apparently wanted to apologise for the way that the annual review was held in February(!), and wanted to 'assure us' that they are going to start helping L improve academically... Hence why they have decided last week(!) to put him in a class of mainly year 6's (he will be in year 5 in september). HT said that there are 'at least 4 serious pacemakers who will help push L to work harder in the class'.

HT said that there are 'at least 4 serious pacemakers who will help push L to work harder in the class'.

I do not understand what help this means, what are pacemakers and what does it mean by the word HELP PUCH, L to work harder.

Im sorry but when J is struggling to learn/write/read he is already working as hard he is capable of doing, puching will cause adverse effects, its not pushing he needs, but encouragement, support and understanding.

JsMum

Hi JsMum,

I understand what you mean, and to be honest, I am a little concerned about how much they will 'push' him.

At the moment though, I am reading into it slightly differently.

In his current class, he is the oldest boy (by nearly a year). He is seen as the 'boy to look up to'. He does the work that is asked of him, but no more. He is seen as funny and clever. There is nobody in his class that is there for HIM to look up to. There is nobody in the class that he can look at and think 'I want to be like him'.

I am taking it to mean that this change in class is going to adress this in some way. He will no longer be the oldest boy in the class (He won't be the youngest either as there is another boy going up who is younger). He will no longer be the biggest. He will no longer be the 'best', and as such there should be something he can aspire to. The other boys doing slightly harder work should also mean that he has to try harder. Yes, this will create some problems. But to me, this seems just a little better than the, constantly saying to him 'yes L, that's ok. If you've tried your best' for the last 2 years, there has seemingly been no negatives for him. And to me, you need to know the negatives in order to be able to work on them to make them positives.

In fairness, this probably isn't the way that the headteacher thought that I would take it. He probably doesn't think that anything will go wrong. I have a feeling that he thinks he is going to prove us, his parents, wrong, and that there is nothing the matter with L academically - or behaviourally. (As this is the headteacher that told me "I don't know why he is in this school, he's a perfect pupil!"

Smiley - guilty consience? I'm not sure he knows what one of those is! (I too am hoping it's going to be better in Sept)