Sign in to follow this  
Stella63

Just back from Italy!!

Hi

we have just spent 2 weeks in Sorrento - what a lovely place!!! Feel slightly guilty as we didn't really explore the area but it was really hot and we ended up in a private villa with our own pool so just chilled out big time!!

AJ was happy to sleep all day, eat lots in the evening and had only 2 angry outbursts (that is a record on holiday!!).

OJ found a ceremics shop and adopted a lovely Italian lady as his grandmother (and vice versa) infact she adores him so much she is coming to visit us in the winter. He dropped all his rituals and apart from continual verbal diahroreah (no, still can't spell that word!) he was quite relaxed in a different environment.

I have to confess I read 5 books, got a sun tan and really chilled out, apart from getting a cold, getting bitten to death by mosquitos and eating and drinking too much. DH much the same!

I think it was the best holiday we have managed for many years!! Plus I still have 5 weeks before I go back to work - can't be bad!!!

Stella x

HI

ive been to italy quite a few times with my son in the past ....over there they call him "spirito libero" and my son is quite happy, more than anywhere else ive seen him ....i think the way they interact and perceive children is so different. They want them to be vocal and encourage them to be themselves ....its a wonderful place for non conformist children.

I went to Italy when my brother was very small. We were in a cafe and a group of young men ordered pizzas, folded them in half, picked them up and ate them with their hands. My brother's mouth fell open and he thought it was amazing! They were also in awe of his very blonde hair.

Glad you had a nice holiday!

Hi there, welcome back and your holiday sounded great!

I am envious because I have had no holiday this summer (did go to Snowdonia for a weekend in May though if that counts)

Been to Italy twice - Lake Maggiore (when in pushchair apparently) and le Marche region last year (centre-east). Not been to the Sorrento area but always wanted to see (and hopefully stay in!) the Amalfi Coast.

Even more of a bonus OJ found it a relaxing experience!

Edited by CEJesson

oooh, I went to Sorrento quite a few years back. We only went for 3 days but I thought it was absolutely beautiful, and the sea around there was the cleanest I've ever seen! Did you vist Capri? The island of Capri is also gorgeous. The food delectable.... I think I'd love to go back!

Very envious of you having two weeks there. Totally understand why you didn't explore the area if you were having a relaxing time at the villa... but it really is well worth exploring it is trully lovely and fascinating.

(funny aside about when I went... on the coach from the airport to Sorrento I was struck by how romantic it all was... just how you'd imagine Italy to be.... with families sitting on their roof terraces eating big meals, and fields and fields of flowers and olives groves... then we drove past a guy in the middle of a field of flowers... he had his pants down and was doing a dump!!! :o It was like the needle scratching on a record of my musings!!! :lol:

Flo' :D

Hi, Allsetuk, you are absolutely right. The ladies OJ was spending time with were talking to and understanding him on a completely different level - he was telling them about his AS and Tourettes but they didn't need to understand what it was because they just saw his heart and soul and saw him for who he is - something that is very rare here!!

Flora, that really made me laugh as I can just picture it!!! We only managed Pompeii, which was totally amazing but just too hot!! We had to bribe AJ to come out with us and that worked but we couldn't trust him by himself so had to minimise trips accordingly! Would have liked to go to Capri but it was expensive and we have decided that we will go again, out of season, when the kids are older...... maybe????!!!!!

It was just so nice being in a town with sooooo many lovely restauarants able to accomodate OJ's dietary requirements eg pizza with no tomato - well thats just a white pizza - no problem! spaghetti with butter and cheese - no problem.... lovely......

Stella xx

Wow Stella, I'm envious - my parents in law go to Italy every year and bring back amazing photos.

Glad you had a good time. :)

K x