Sign in to follow this  
Rachelp2

Ante-depressants for kids?

Hi,

Does anyone's children take ante-depressants?

My Dan's 10 now (Asperger's) and really having problems with depression and huge outbursts of crying, it's killing me, as i feel helpless.

We were offered ante-dep's last year but i said we'll see how he goes, spose i said that due to all the stigma! But now i'm seriously considdering putting him on something.

He tells me he does not have a particular reason for these outbursts, he feels low and needs to let the tears out but cannot explain what he's feeling, he say's he gets thoughts in his head and his head is very busy but that's all he can tell me.

When you think what he has to cope with it's no wonder he's depressed, but it's school hols too and now is usually a happy-ish time for him, with no demanding school!

Would like to know your thoughts and hear how your kids on ante-depressants are doing.

Rach

One of my son's was put on imipramine, a low dose, and it seemed to take the edge off his depression/anxiety adn help him sleep. He now refuses to take them, however.

We are using Rescue Remedy when necessary at the moment.

Children with AS, often need lower doses of anti-d's than there NT counterparts, as they react differently to the drugs.

Karen

Hi Rach

My 10 year old son has been on Fluxotine (Prozac) since June last year. He was diagnosed the previous December with clinical depression due to his Aspergers by our GP but we had to have a visit to a psychologist and a psychiatrist before he was given his medication (and that, as you can see from the dates, took nearly 7 months!).

It has worked wonders for him. He is still very happy to take it. Our experience is that it has been a godsend for him and the whole family. He is less anxious, less aggressive and has made real friends at school now.

I know you said the school holidays should be less demanding for him but, if he is indeed suffering from depression, no day will be a good day. My son's condition came to a head at the Christmas holidays - he refused to even leave the house, had no interest in anyone or anything. There were no tears as such from him, just a lot of serious self-harming which we had never encountered before. The only person he would have a visit from was his favorite auntie - no cousins, no friends.

We knew there was something horribly wrong and we were lucky, so did our GP. We have not looked back since he started taking it.

Hi and thanks for your replies,

I've had to ring and get an appointment at the Child Development Centre to see his paediatrician, they have given us a cancellation next Tuesday so i'll see what help/advice he can give on Dan's situation.

It was his 1st day back at school today after the easter hols but he didn't go! He's going tomorrow though, fingers crossed!

He's still so down and worries so much so, OCD is definately noticeable!

Think a mild ante-dep may help but am cautious about side effects, this may relax him and hopefully at least take the edge off, i really feel for him as i suffered depression from the early age of 7! I know how he feels and i feel helpless.

Thanks again, it's nice to know there is help on the other end of this computer!

Rach x