pookie170

Evacuate!! Evacuate!!

No, this is not a post about the fact that I live in a house with3 males, all of whom feel comfortable with letting the wind blow free and mighty through their underwear!!...

The estate I live on is simply saturated with the boys in blue :police: and there're more firefighters than you could shake a stick at round here tonight! (and not a one of them worthy of a page on a calendar, either, sadly!)

There was a fire in a shed in the back garden of a house roughly 300 yards down our street- and the plonker who owns it had stashed two large gas tanks in it! Most naughty and illegal, I'm given to understand, and as a result, everyone within a 250 yard radius has been evacuated for 24 hours to a local municipal building! We've only just avoided joining them, thank crunchie!

I soooooo wouldn't fancy being the owner of the gas tanks- imagine when all the displaced folks traipse back home!! He may well be lynched!

What a night!

:lol: Esther, you've a wonderful turn of phrase. You need to get yourself back in the batcave you do :clap:

Flo' :dance:

Ooooh, men in uniform ... :hypno:

I had a garden full of firefighters one hot night a couple of years ago when JP spotted a fire in the woods, my garden was the only access :thumbs: Amazing how many female neighbours wandered round (just passing) & installed themselves on my garden bench for the duration.

Reminds me of the time when I rented a room in a a big old farmhouse and one night the farmer was told about a cow of his standing in a river. Couldn't get it out so called out the fire brigade. They came in their hoards (all part timers locally) and came back to the farmhouse after they had got the cow out and were all standing around the kitchen having their cups of (fortified) cocoa when I breeze through in my nightie - totally oblivious. :wub:

When I was 14, I got my finger stuck in a desk at school, & the fire brigade were called. Must have been quiet down at the station as THREE burly firefighters turned up to rescue a convent girl in distress.

A very formative experience :whistle:

When I was a student nurse there a fire in the middle of the night and someone called the fire brigade and we had to evacuate the building... It was highly amusing for the firefighters who responded to the alarm to find most of their colleagues on the opposite shift 'resident' in the nurses accomodation :lol:

When I worked on the checkouts in a supermarket, some fireman came in and bought so much beer that it was too heavy and the belt broke!

Weeeeellll - i once got my dainty tootsie stuck in the tap whilst having a bubbly / rose petal strewn bath. A thousand candles filled the room, gently music playing, glass of wine in hand.... I needed the assistance of a very fine fireman.........

And then i woke up :rolleyes: Ho hum. :D

Hey pooks, has the bloke been mobbed yet?? Covered in custard and bubble wrap???

Not so far as I know!! Will have to look on the local papers' website and see if I can do a link!

However.....custard?? bubble wrap?? Is that how they do it down your way? :P He'd probably then be surrounded by local kids, trying to pop the bubbles and die a horrible, slow death that way!

The only other time I've had involvement with firefighters was when Cal locked himself in our bathroom, aged 3. Much panic ensued from me, as the door opened outwards, and so could not be shouldered open as the jamb was very sturdy. I pelted round our neighbours, blubbering a request for a long ladder (we lived in an upper, 4-in-a-block flat!) only to discern that no-one had a ladder anything like long enough. So I pelted back to the house, ensured Cal was still okay (though I could hear what sounded suspiciously like the depression of his Dad's can of shaving foam!) then phoned the fire brigade. I assured them Cal was okay, that it wasn't an emergency as such, but would they mind helping out all the same?

No problem, madam.....

Three minutes later, sirens blaring, tyres squealing, the fire engine was hurtling down the road and screeching to a rather impressive halt outside our house. The doors flew open, and a complete crew came spilling out the rig in what seemed like huge numbers to a terribly red-faced me...standing in my baffies, now I think of it....oh, the SHAME!! :wub:

I showed them the wretched door, and they did try a few times to shoulder it open, then decided, en masse, that they'd have to resort to ladders. Happily, the window was the old sash kind, and even more fortuitous, the catch was broken! So they picked the skinniest member of their crew and instructed him to get up there pronto.....

Two minutes later, we heard the window go up.

'Stay right back, okay young man?'

Screech, howl, yowl, said Cal.

I reddened further.

'Clatter! Scrape! Thump! Arrrgh!'

The lock was opened, Cal pelted into my arms, saucer eyed. I looked up to see a young, eye-wateringly handsome young fireman looking at me, most bemused.

'You might want to remind your lad about flushing and washing!' he grinned at me.

He had slithered through the window face first, and, our bathroom being very compact and bijoux, this meant he landed dang near face first in the toilet bowl.

So he got an extreme and most unfortunate close up of its' contents also, which Cal had deposited most fragrantly not half an hour before, and neglected to flush away......

I was MORTIFIED!!!!

Adding to that, once I had thanked the crew profusely and they had left, I realised two things....

1) My hair needed brushed bady, and was sticking out all roads- mostly due to my efforts to open the door and find a ladder, I suspect....

2) Not only was I wearing my sloppiest, slouch-around-the-house, who's-going-to-see-you clothes (ah, retrospect!) but I had a healthy smear of green finger paint down the side of my face too!

Dearie me, what MUST they have thought? :lol:

Ooh, your tales of brushes with firefighters didn't half make me laugh! Cheers!!

Edited by pookie170

Oh pookie you tell some wonderful stories! :thumbs::lol:

Dont worry, the trackie bottom & facepaint look is very now, its called retro boho hobo chic or something ;)

Dont worry, the trackie bottom & facepaint look is very now, its called retro boho hobo chic or something ;)

Pearl I'm not sure if that's much comfort to Pookie as her story took place several years ago... so it may be now now, but was it now then??? :lol:

Floz :lol:

but was it now then??? :lol:

No no no, you're getting confused. "Now then, Now then" is the call sign of the police, not the scrumy firemen. :wub::lol: Anyway, you're all missing a trick here - if you really want firemen to stare at day and night, you should apply to live in my student hall. We have the auspicious accolade of being the student hall with the highest number of fire brigade call outs every month. Result = no return of deposit but lots of yummy ogling :lol: :lol:

Now about this custard and bubble wrap - did someone have a bit too much Smiley Juice last night? :wine::drunk:

No no no, you're getting confused. "Now then, Now then" is the call sign of the police, not the scrumy firemen.

Oh, I thought it was Jimmy Saville? I suppose it's easy to get a geriatric insane cigar-chowmping lunatic confused with the police :wacko:

Now about this custard and bubble wrap - did someone have a bit too much Smiley Juice last night? :wine::drunk:

Clearly not enough, head crystal clear this morning, as opposed to the expected headache and feeling of impending death! :lol:

Can i add smoke alarms going off for no good reason - my neighbours smoke alarm has been going off for the last 10 minutes, and no, she's not about to go crispy in an inferno........... just cooking sausages.........

Can i add smoke alarms going off for no good reason - my neighbours smoke alarm has been going off for the last 10 minutes, and no, she's not about to go crispy in an inferno........... just cooking sausages.........

You could - but maybe they should be in the Room 101 thread, not the ogling firemen thread? :whistle: Maybe someone did have a bit too much smiley juice after all, huh? :lol::P

You getting your threads mixed up Smiley??? :lol: I have that problem too, that's why I'm no good at knitting or sewing (amongst other things).

Flozza :dance:

I was msn'ing, and watching The Princess Bride on telly ( :dance: ), all at the same time, i cannot multi-task!! :rolleyes:

Now..............back to firemen.................... :wub::pray::D

Hmm...was more like boohoo hobo that day, I'll tell you!! Not sure that my particular 'look' could be described as such at all.....more of a tired glance, most days! ;)

Oo, the Princess Bride....I loved that when I were a lass! Tried to get my lads to watch it with me, and was happily lost in the tale when I realised all of them had drifted off without my noticing. I was told (again, by all three, full grown boy included!), and with appropriate revolted lip curling, and much disgruntled snorting, that my film

'was for GIRLS!!!' :sick:

Well, thank you very much for that confidence booster, and I don't think!! :blink:

Heheh!!

Esther x