warrenpenalver

Lost for words again!!!!

Ok now this is a awkward one especially for me.

I see my new GP for the first time tomorrow and im lost for words on what to say to explain things. Bear in mind that i pre-plan almost all important "conversations" / speeches or go through the different avenues a conversation could take and pre-plan the responses because to do otherwise means my spontaneous replies are slow or awkward or just jibberish!!! :wallbash: Ive even said age wrong before and said random postcodes or even completely random answers to yes/no interrorgations to the point i dont recollect what i said!!! :wacko: I need to be 100% comfortable with environment and people to be able to freely do spontaneous conversation that isnt too deep.

Predictably they dont have my navy medical records so have no pre-history other than my ramblings to the nurse today to which she replied "i think we better get you to see the doctor" :unsure:

so how do i explain my social difficulties, tendancys for order/routine, lego, wierd habits etc without seeming like a nutcase???? Bearing in mind i was medically discharged on grounds of mental health, yet i want to keep driving and want to come off my antidepressants as i hate the way they make me feel.

Its confusing as i still have conflicting rules in my head one side sayingi should keep my mouth shut to avoid trouble (look how talking helped my navy career! :unsure: ) and the other side says i should just do what i would normally do and say everything inlcluding the self harm thoughts i have (well he'll see arms so i cant hide the past rally) and risk things going to far with the doctor being in control not me. Also if i say too much it may limit some of the jobs i can do as i want to help people but in that industry id need to pass the occupational health assessment.

any ideas??

hi warren,

I would write down the important things you want to say to give yourself a checklist.

I think when registering with a new practise then most surgeries would want you to see the doctor, so don't worry.

It may not be possible to discuss everything with the doctor on your first visit, and a lot of people get nervous seeing the doctor so he will be used to nerves.

Nicola

... the other side says i should just do what i would normally do and say everything inlcluding the self harm thoughts i have (well he'll see arms so i cant hide the past rally)

Don't bet on it - my GP never picked up self-harming despite my arms almost looking like an insane spider's web in places (and me giving subtle hints such as saying 'I've started self-harming again') :shame:

I'd echo what Nic M says - write it down, come up with a couple of good examples of each point that you want to get across (just a couple though - if you reel off a list then people soon lose interest and switch off) and don't be afraid to refer to your piece of paper. And be resolute - don't let him steamroller you into anything, and if you want to come off ADs then you have to say so (they screwed me up too so I refused to take them).

Free-flowing conversation is never going to be easy as this is a stranger so you almost have to go in expecting it to be awkward (that way you won't feel bad if it turns out like that - if it doesn't then it was automatically better than you thought it was going to be :dance:). It'll get easier though as time goes by and you both get to know each other

It's perfectly acceptable to take some notes to your doctor.

It's also perfectly acceptable to book a double appointment, or go back another time to tell him more.

It might be helpful to print off and give to your doctor this bit, so that he can understand if you later go back and correct something you said today.:

i pre-plan almost all important "conversations" / speeches or go through the different avenues a conversation could take and pre-plan the responses because to do otherwise means my spontaneous replies are slow or awkward or just jibberish!!! Ive even said age wrong before and said random postcodes or even completely random answers to yes/no interrorgations to the point i dont recollect what i said!!! I need to be 100% comfortable with environment and people to be able to freely do spontaneous conversation that isnt too deep.

You're unlikely to have your driving license withdrawn on mental health grounds unless you are having a severe manic or psychotic episode.

They should support you in coming off your antidepressants, even if they feel you need them. It may be that another antidepressant could help you better. However, it's quite common for people on the autistic spectrum to have a paradoxical response to antidepressants, but respond well to very low doses. Many psychiatrists do not know this, so I wouldn't expect your GP to do so. If you want to keep trying with antidepressants, I would recommend asking for a referral to a psychiatrist, because it simply isn't a GP's area of expertise.

I think you should be honest about your self-harm thoughts. They can't help you if they don't know what is happening. Your GP may have some useful strategies for you.

Unless you are in crisis, you don't need to say more than you feel comfortable with today. You can think about it and go back another time. If you feel that you may self-harm, you do need to get help ASAP.

There are very few careers that require medical assessment. If you are currently having mental health difficulties, you really do need to seek treatment. This way, you stand the greatest chance of recovery. If you sought treatment and are recovered, your history is not likely to count against you anyway. In fact, it could be a useful experience in certain professions.

Good luck!

Edited by Tally

after all that my appointment was resheduled until friday due to to urgent "fresh cases"!!!! Typical after id prepared myself mentally!!!! At least i got some time to write some ramblings down!!!

still just thinking of a simple list and handing it to him.

social communication difficulties face to face.

problems with phones

fluent conversation without pre-planning/re-hearsing

making and keeping friends

understanding own emotions

emotional reciprocity

cooking

common sense

lack of foresight

innapropriate conversation

the list goes on for quite a while but you get the idea!!!

still just thinking of a simple list and handing it to him.

social communication difficulties face to face.

problems with phones

fluent conversation without pre-planning/re-hearsing

making and keeping friends

understanding own emotions

emotional reciprocity

cooking

common sense

lack of foresight

innapropriate conversation

the list goes on for quite a while but you get the idea!!!

If it's a long list then it might be a good idea to just pick out the points that your GP can't try to 'dismiss' (you know - "Oh everybody is like that", "You're probably just..."). Try to prioritise them and give preference to the things that you find hardest

I shall have to try and prioritise!!!

What really annoys me is the fact the Navy lied to me by saying there would be transfer of care to the same level within the NHS, but the reality is quite simply all care has stopped suddenly and now with a new GP i have to get re-referred and go through all the rubbish and delays that go with that!!! Annoys me because if i had cancer or some physical condition the transfer of care wouldnt be a problem but it seems to be because its mental then its just not important enough.

The navy social worker has been trying to get them to listen a bit more but without success. Also the NHS cant get hold of my FULL notes, only computerised summary. I have full paper copies of all physical health and psychiatric notes including copies of the case file but the doctors dont want them. Apparently adult mental health in the NHS is basically crisis only.

Just annoys me that i seemingly have to allow myself to get to a crisis level before they will automatically do something.

Problem is, the NHS just doesn't see us as being 'priority', instead preferring to to assume that if we're not trying to kill ourselves or going to the absolute depths of despair, we're perfectly fine, can 'cope' without any help whatsoever and everything is just fine and dandy - as adults we've 'coped so far' so why do we, in their eyes, all of a sudden need 'help'? It's just a complete joke :(