Sign in to follow this  
jordansmum

explaining to family

hi as you all know jordan was recently diagnosed at 8 with a autistic spectrum disorder and has just recently , being monitered, in all different situations over the last 4 weeks as prior to this they where all seing him in the centres school etc, and in these situations he had behaving realy well, so over the last 4 weeks the asd social worker and educational psychologist have been visiting him at home to see his behavior etc in the home, and they have discussed things further saying he has autism , the thing i was wondering , we have no family support and find it realy hard to explain his behavior to the famly , as they all think deep down he is just delibrately being annoying and naughty , can some one give me some help how to explain his naughty behavior and rudness to others , i have tried saying he does not mean it and is not being naughty delibratley and not trying delibratley to annoy anyone ,its just his way of coping and undestanding of the situations , but they all look at me and think no hes just taking the mickey, the thing is jordan can speak and i think this is why they think hes taking the mickey and annoying everyone on purpose i , realy dont fully understand my sons condition although we new there was something wrong since 2, we just never pushed for anything until the school pushed us. and this is were we are at now ,any help would be great thanks

Hi, jordansmum

Trying to explain autism can be really difficult, as it affects everyone differently. The best way I've found to explain it is that my DS sees the world differently from most people, and finds it a very confusing place. Most of his behavioural problems stem from sensory issues, such as too much noise or people getting too close to him. It will probably help once you have more specific information about jordan's condition, and you can start to understand what his particular issues are.

The NAS have lots of useful information, as well as leaflets available on how to explain things to family and friends - here's a link

I've also found lots of books on the subject via my local library - it really helps to get as much knowledge about the condition, so you can explain it better to other people.

I hope that helps :D

Nicky

Edited by NickyB

My family on my side were all of the attitude of ds is just naughty n fussy etc n to be honest id had enough of trying to explain to them so I bought a handbook on aspergers n one on adhd n gave them both to each member one by one n said read it before you comment on ds again....worked with a few of them. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi jordansmum

We have only recently had a diagnosis too and friends and family of ours have had the same attitude. Ive tried giving them books to read and leaving literature about and talking about our everyday trials but we always get the same glassy look of boredom or the usual " she just being naughty" etc. I think the main problem is that my family and friends spend limited time with my DD so dont see all her traits. I went away for a few days though with my mum and daughters and it was only then, that she realised how time consuming DD is and how bad her traits are. She was devastated, but she still hasnt bothered to read up about ASDs and rarely has our daughter to stay unless we are with her.

On a high note, I recently went shopping with my friend and all our children and she really tried to help, she wasnt judgemental in any way and watched how I dealt with DD in difficult situations. To give me a little break, my friend tried out the techniques on my DD and was really helpful. I was so choked as this is the first time one of my friends has tried to help me this way. What a star. There are some good friends out there :D

Hi Jordansmum,

Just sending you some >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< I know how it feels when your family and friends don't understand. I have had comments like 'he will grow out of it' and 'can't the doctors give him something for it?' and other comments even less helpful that make me want to :crying: and :wallbash: They think they are helping with their so stupid suggestions. I would like to send them on a course if there was one for grandparents and other family memebers.

I just keep plugging away at them and correct them when they get it wrong. I do it as nicely as I can. I have found some good books which have been written for children rather than adults and this has helped a lot.

Don't give up. I know it is not easy to give others the understanding we have of our children but others will only have an understanding if we do our best to give it to them.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Diane

Hi Jordansmum

Yep know it well. Goingto see mother inlaw tomorrow (Wifes mother) try telling her. :wallbash: It is not that A is naughty, :P just has his ways, thing have to be done just right. Which she just can not understand. You know the sort of thing, the way his food is put on the plate, when we are there he will offten ends up not eating his meals :shame:

But how do you explane when you are only just getting your head round things yourself.

We also thought right from when he was a baby that he was different (how else to put it).But I always put it down to him taking after my, But now I realize yes he dose take after me, I realize that I have AS too, just as bad as A but AS all the same. He is 8 and was diagnosed about 6 months ago.

Some of our frends and family understand but not many. :crying:

Don't have any answers only just keep on plugging away.

:thumbs::thumbs: Chris :thumbs::thumbs: