Sign in to follow this  
Allansmum

LSA one to one support

Hi

My son started mainsteam school yesterday. He is non verbal, and needs constant supervision. The school is open, all the schools round here are. The only thing stopping him walking out of the school is two traffic cones! He has a statement, and he has been awarded 30 hours of one to one support. Am I right in thinking that his lsa is there just for my son, and not the other kids? And that her job is to support him only? I told his lsa yesterday, my main concern is that there is nothing stopping him walking out of the school, and that he was to be watched at all times. Anyway went to pick him up yesterday. hubby left a bit later than me, and hadnt caught me up before i got to the school. His teacher was outside the class talking to another parent, my son came running out the class to greet me, i took him back into the class and he needed the loo, so i took him. I could see the lsa was also talking to another parent. No body was watching him. Whilst son was on loo, hubby arrived and asked where son was, nobody knew! Luckily he was in the loo with me.

Is the lsa job just to support my son? Shouldnt she have been with my son and not talking to other parents? Am I over reacting here? Supervision and safety are part of his statement.

Sarah

Hi.No I don't think you are over reacting.It is worth checking that the Statement clearly states that your son needs one to one LSA support for the total number of hours in the school day.If that is the case then that level of support should be provided.It is also worth checking that the Statement specifies the level of experience/training of the LSA that is needed.

We have had ongoing issues around the use of LSA support for Ben.It is a fairly frequuent issue on the Forum. :wallbash:

It is worth being prompt and clear at the outset if you feel that the school is not fulfilling the requirements specified in the Statement.It is especially important if you have concerns around safety.

I would expect that if your son has just started school and needs full time support then the school should have met with you before he started to assess his needs and plan appropriate support.If this has not happened it would be a good idea to write to the SENCO to ask for a meeting very shortly.

IPSEA have very good information on their website on action to take if provision is not being maintained as per a Statement.I will post it in a moment.Karen.

The two infant schools I know, are very explicit that the teacher stands at the door and only allows out children whose parents she can see - also that if anyone different is collecting them, they have to be told in advance, or they will not let them go. It is understandable that the LSA might need to speak to a parent, but either the teacher or the LSA should be closely supervising the children at hometime.

Perhaps you need to ask if you can go into the classroom and for the LSA to "hand him over" so they ensure he does not leave the classroom on his own.

In reception, years 1 and 2, the school should be handing over care of the child to the parent/carer. If this is not being done then I think you should contact OFSTED and tell them as the school are clearly not taking there responsibilities seriously.

For the same reason the school should be secure and no child of this age should be able to leave the school ground or for that mater anyone enter the school with out the door being unlocked by a staff member. Fire exits should also be alarmed so if opened the staff are alerted.

If your son has been awarded 30 hours then that is what he sould be getting. Had anyone told the LAS what her/his job is!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: