Sign in to follow this  
sadie

recovering from a migraine

Great to be able to contribute again....had an AWFUL migraine over the weekend and Monday. Just about recovered now but my stomach has shrunk and I still am only nibbling at food. I even rang the emergency doctor two successive evenings and had my DH running all over this great city looking for pharmacies in the middle of the night on two occasions also.. OK now but still anxious if this were ever to recur. :unsure::crying:

Poor you, I suffer with migraine and it is just the pits

The worst is when you cannot go to bed and sleep it off because of life getting in the way. I often wear dark glasses for days even when the worst is over. In the middle of winterr and on a rainy day I get some odd looks and comments.

The worst thing for me is that when I have one I quite fancy chocolate which makes it worse! It's torture.

i get them frequently :( to the stage i get dizzy and sick. I take to bed when I can, make sure the room is dark. Get some kool and soothe patches they are fab and neurofen migraine is good too. Did try 4head but that didn't work for me

I get them too. I can go months (sometimes over a year) without having one, then I usually have a spate of them, like once a week for a few weeks, then again a long period without. They trully are horrible and debilitating. I used to take the usual brand of remedy (sounds like migraine and relieve combined) but I've become intollerant to codeine. I've found another one which has only recently been approved for selling over the counter (previously only available on prescription) and you have to get a certificate of the pharmacist after filling out a long form! I've got some ready for my next attack, but I'm quite scared to take them after reading the list of possible side affects, where 'death' is far too high up the list for my liking!!!!

Anyway, you really do have my sympathies, because a true migraine is like being tortured.

Flora

Ouchie >:D<<'> :tearful:

You have my sympathies >:D<<'> . I have Lupus, which at the moment is causing intercranial hypertension (ie; flippin' big 'eadaches!!!).

Migraines are up there with back pain as the thing that can make you grind to a halt, if you want it to or not.

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D<

Sunglasses, pain relief - and absolutely no jumping jacks :sick:

:D

Smiley, it's interesting you say you have Lupus. I've just been doing some reading on ASD and autoimune diseases (of which Lupus is one). Have you ever looked into it?

Floz :D

Hey Flo' >:D<<'>

Yes, it's very, very common for family members to have some kind of auto immune thing going on.

Have you seen Sunderland Uni's booklet on Autism as a Metabolic Disorder? Interesting stuff.

:)

Smiley, no I haven't. I've just discoverd this potential connection while reading up on something else the other day. Is it available on their website or is it a published book (as in book shop?).

Flo' :)

edit to add... apolgies to sadie for taking this off topic!

Edited by Flora

Oh... horrible >:D<<'>

I used to get frequent migraines years ago -tunnel vision, the lot, and the only thing that helped was laying still in the dark with a damp flannel on my forehead, until I upchucked :sick:

As soon as I was sick I'd start feeling better (sometimes within minutes), but experiments with finger and epiglotis revealed that forcing the issue didn't work :(

Then I read an article about coffee allergies as one of the most common triggers. I used to drink gallons every day, but cut right back and it worked...

Now I find i can have two cups a day, but any more than that and I'm in trouble. i still get occassional migraines, but haven't had one of the two/three day affairs in about fifteen years.

Obviously, only a small percentage of peeps who get migraines have allergy related problems, but if you haven't treid already it's worth experimenting with the 'usual suspects' (Coffee/Dairy/Gluten and.... ouch, can hardly bring myself to say it to a laydee... choklitt)

Glad you're feeling better - hope that's even better soon

:D

Chocolate actually is the 'trigger' for migraines in only a miniscule number of people (it's a common misconception as my neurologost explained to me). Stress and inadequate levels of sleep (resulting in reduced seratonin levels) are far more common factors for migraines but the exact cause will vary from person to person.

The important thing with regards migraine is to identify your 'trigger' - the combination of factors that upset your brain chemistry sufficiently to cause the constriction of blood vessels that result in not only the 'traditional' mifraine symptoms but also the earlier 'pro domal' phase (during which sufferers typically feel tired). For some people a dose of caffiene (through something like Coke) can cause the blood flow to be restored more quickly but this will obviously depend on what your triggers are.

I too have suffered from migraines for many years (loss of vision, loss of speech, 'static electricity', loss of memory, vomiting and, one occasion, loss of hearing) but knowing what causes them has meant a drastic reduction in the number of attacks

Hi, I have only recently started suffering from migraine, doc says its stress, surprise surprise. But they are severe, they start with flashing lights, just off to the side, didnt know what it was at first, so they got worse and the headache started and it was just torture. Now I know I just take the tablets, the ones that rhyme with relive! two pink tablets, by the time I get the tablets its like I`m in a kalidescope, but the tablets are very effective. Then I started getting pins and needles and weakness in my arms and legs and was so worried I was getting MS or having a stroke, I`ve got four kids for gods sake, I CANNOT CANNOT be ill, well not seriously, anyway have been referred to a nurologist as appartantly there is a kind of migraine that can have this effect, I had never heard of it till the other week and then on Tuesday there was an article about it in the Mail! It is really scary as it comes on so quick, its only happened 3 times so far, but all in the last month and it lasted for a few hours. Really dont need this. But then who does. >:D<<'> Enid

Wish it all were so simple.. .... . my migraines always start very suddenly, always in the am. Usually wake up at 6am (earlier than normal) feeling fine and within 5 minutes I'm in the throwing up championships. Can't take any pain relief, doesn't stay down, ditto water or sips of the above. :( Get sooo thirsty. Can't establish any reason apart from stress I've been under.

48 continuous hours of this and I felt really worn down. I'm on continuous beta blockers, supposed to suppress ..BUT NEED A HIGHER DOSAGE i SUPPOSE. BUT LAST DOCTOR I SAW ACTUALLY GAVE ME MEDICINE DIRECTLY ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN AND ONLY THEN DID i START TO GET BETTER.....I'll hang on to those for dear life !!

Anyway new day now... don't want to think about the past, I'll just get on with the future. Sadie

anyway new day now

Hi Sadie,

I know what you mean. I've woken up with a migraine before. The first think I notice is that I feel really nauseas, then as soon as I try to lift my head the pain kicks in. Not nice.

Flora

I have had the occasional migraine, but fortunately, they are few and far between. They seem to be connected with being over tired, dehydrated or unwell. The last one was the worst. I woke up and just couldn't move. When I turned on the bedside lamp it was like being shot. I eventually managed to crawl across the room for paracetamol. Fortunately I had a glass of water by the bed, because I don't think I could have made it downstairs. Within an hour it had eased off to the point where I could stand, walk and tolerate daylight.

Maybe you could try to stockpile some of the medication, so that you always have it to hand when you need it.

Glad you're on the mend now!

Hope you feel better now Sadie.

I used to get them a lot when I was younger with accompanying nausea and they reached a peak in the middle my first pregnancy when I used to wake up virtually every morning feeling really ill.

I was told that they might ease off after my baby was born. Amazingly, they did and I've hardly had one since.

K x