Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

work

i am currently on jobseekers allowance while trying to find a job. ive applied for 28 jobs in 3 months, none have been successful. i have seen a disability adviser twice, she suggests i do volunteer work and stay on benefit becuase then i can find something to suit my needs easier. i'm still fighting the good fight with the DLA, live with my parents and am contributing nothing towards my living expenses except paying the occasional bill (my own, my parents have taken on those as well).

anyone else have problems like this? i dont want to sit on benefit for the rest of my life i want to work, but noone is giving me a chance! i called the jobseekers claim number to ask them if i was entitled to anything to help my parents while i'm searching, they said i should get a doctors note saying i can't work and go onto incapacity benefit and income support! anyone got any ideas on how to find a job when i can't answer telephones, be appropriately nice to customers or be in loud environments? ive applied to all these companies with the disability tick thing which are meant to give me an interview if i meet the minimum standards, some i met the standards when i was 16 but i still got refused an interview, so if even thats not working i dont know what else to do

Hello,

Have you tried looking for work in a govt department. Like some of the paying agencies for agriculture, environmental, MAFF, Dep. Work pensions etc. Inland revenue

All these agencies have people in the background doing a lot of paper based, and computer processing work. Mainly dealing with application forms either on paper or on IT system. There is very little telephone work if at all and even then its just internal colleage ringing for someone else on section. No formal telephone calls incoming or outgoing.

All communication with public is through formal written notification.

And if are required to contact agent or business can do through email.

Dont have to worry about interpersonal interaction with other colleagues much just got to do a reasonable work effort and apply self

Since these are govt agency are postive about disablement and will accomdate problem have. Some posts are set aside for guranteed interview if disabled/ have issues, as certain percentage of work force has to have disablity.

Hi,

Have you considered night work? Some people just cannot manage it, but if you can, it might be your answer. I work nights in a supermarket. You might be able to negotiate a very narrow role where you will be left alone to do it and can learn to do it well. We have a number of staff who will work one aisle and never do anything else, so I don't think you would be out of place doing the same.

Hi

My wife has been there. She has a mild physical disabilities. Spent 3 years going on this course then that course all with a promise that they would lead to a job .Did they :angry: did they heck. Still looking 4 years later.

Good luck.

Chris.

anyone else have problems like this? i dont want to sit on benefit for the rest of my life i want to work, but noone is giving me a chance!

Join the club, tell me about it :wallbash: I've had so many posts on the subject myself, "Noone is giving me a chance" is the operative sentence for me too, with "good / excellent communication skills" spewed over adverts left right and centre. I'm so capable of work overall and I'm sure there's no way I'd have been signed off as an "Incapacity" case, and I so want to work anyway, but being an employer's first choice of person is another matter altogether.

I've now had 6 months out of work, albeit split either side of a 2 week temporary job in June, so am now eligible for a Jobcentre programme called "WorkStep". I arranged to see my disability adviser, he spoke of 3 local organisations who run this, one was recommended by Asperger East Anglia at a drop in session back in May, and I now have my appointment to see them on Monday.

Have you tried looking for work in a govt department. Like some of the paying agencies for agriculture, environmental, MAFF, Dep. Work pensions etc. Inland revenue

All these agencies have people in the background doing a lot of paper based, and computer processing work. Mainly dealing with application forms either on paper or on IT system. There is very little telephone work if at all and even then its just internal colleage ringing for someone else on section. No formal telephone calls incoming or outgoing.

Where do these usually advertise? Ideal in theory but all the public sector jobs (mostly council) I see in papers etc have had the usual communication skills quoted so no further forward.

Talking of Asperger in public sector employment, a while back I did sign a Number 10 e-petition for this very purpose, everyone reading this thread please consider signing this as its closing date is next Wednesday 17th.

Link to this petition to "Create more public sector jobs for people with Asperger syndrome."

Edited by alanm

I've now had 6 months out of work, albeit split either side of a 2 week temporary job in June, so am now eligible for a Jobcentre programme called "WorkStep". I arranged to see my disability adviser, he spoke of 3 local organisations who run this, one was recommended by Asperger East Anglia at a drop in session back in May, and I now have my appointment to see them on Monday.

i'm signed up for workstep... but the woman still said they'd probably only find me volunteer work!! she seems to think its fine for me to sit on benefit but �47 a week is just not viable when my mother is off work with cancer! i'm letting them pay my bills and that's just not fair. so i keep applying, they keep not even saying i didn't get it :wallbash: i'd be happy to do volunteer work if i was getting enough money (i feel that i'd still be contributing to society that way). it just seems backwards that i am very intelligent, learn very quickly, am precise, polite and cooperative, but i never seem to have the skills the jobs want.

i tried some governement jobs, they didn't want me either, so that doesn't seem to be working out. i apply for at least 5 jobs a week so hopefully something will come up soon

and i dont think i can do night shifts because i cant drive. it would suit me as i'm a bit of a night owl anyway but i cant see how i can get there, the last bus is at 11 and the earliest at 7, so i dont know if that would work out

CAnt really offer any advice either. Ive been out of work 3 months now with not even an interview and ive applied for 47 jobs and only 2 have had the decency to even reply to tell me im rejected.

Personally Ive found the job centre to be a bunch of useless *****!!! According to the navy im entitled to use the disibility advisor but in reality the job centre dont want to know, and the benefits system is a joke as they expect me to live on �25 a month after my mortgage is paid. Cant live on �25 a week let alone month!!!! JUst glad ive got almost a years worth of basic foods in stock so im not spending too much, and the idiot gas and electric havent sorted the bills out yet but that will catch up with me eventually.

Im signed up to a long term unemployed scheme called "flexible routeways" which is supposed to help get back into work with interview skills, cv skills, confidence building etc and you can do some courses to help you too. Youve got to turn up between 8 and 30 hours a week. It can involve work placements where they aim to do work experience in a similar job to what you want so that you can get a reference to work with someone else or maybe even a job with them. They are over subscribed with "workshy" losers but once you get an appointment they generally seem receptive if your keen to work. Taken me ages to get an appointment with them though but my program starts properly next week with 30 hours intensive skills and jobsearching.