Sign in to follow this  
jonathan

Is OCD associated with A.S and what can we do to help

Hi

My nine year old(birthday last tuesday) was diagnosed with A.S at the age of 6 years old

he has always had the usual A.S obsessions/collections but now seems to be leaning more to the OCD I say leaning as I am a bit ignorant about the subject,I suppose his usual obsessions/collections

is a form of OCD in themselves but now he is becoming more excessive with everything since his 9th birthday, take last night for example he stayed up until past midnight repeatingly shouting as he couldn't cope with the obsession(it makes me so sad to see him like this) he'd turn the computer

off then on then off then on as everytime he turned it off he had convinced himself that he had pressed sleep instead of shut down even though he could see it wasn't on sleep as when you moved the mouse it didn't come on but he still obviously had to check, this went on from 8-10pm then

he kept saying his desk wasn't right/tidy and kept moving things back and forth I tried to comfort him on the bed by taking his mind off the obsession and talking about something he enjoyed

ie: our holiday & his birthday but as soon as I stop talking the fear came back, I really want to help him but don't know how, we are due to see the doctor in a week or so but in the mean time

can ANYONE PLEASE suggest anything what I can do do help or comfort him? or am I better

just leaving him to keep re checking things until he finally feels comfortable with it?

many thanks

hi im no expert but speaking from my own experience with my son hes 11 i think the two disorders are intertwined my son seems to get more obsessed about "germs"the higher his anxiety levels are he has to constantley go back and forth to the sink to wash his hands and then carefully drying his hands he has to have a clean towel each time ive minimised washing a little by buying him a stack of flannels he also keeps going back and forth to the toilet for a wee when his stress levels are very high would a tick chart help reassure him computer etc is off i find my son reponds more to visuals when hes anxious my sons been on a mild beta blocker for a while now which has the side effect of lowering anxiety levels and i think its helped him a lot id ask doctor for advice could he have some support therapy with someone my son sees a learning difficuties nurse(whose linked to his paed phyc) every week at home who helps work through his anxieties wih him hope this helps pm me if i can be any futher help take care lots of luck >:D<<'> >:D<<'> oh hes obseessed with every perfect in his bedroom as well

Edited by single autie mum

Hi Jonathan,

There is a natural tendency in AS to develop obsessions. They are harmless, and often even beneficial, productive and calming. However, because of this, we do have a tendency to develop OCD. I am not sure of the actual diagnostic criteria for OCD, but it is my opinion that when an obsession causes a problem, then it has crossed the line and become an illness. If your son is having to make checks he doesn't want to make, and is feeling upset, then I think you are definitely right to see the doctor about it.

If distracting him seems to be helping, then it's worth carrying on with in the short term. Sometimes though, the only way to be reassured is to be allowed to carry out the checks until you are satisfied, but if he's not satisfied after two hours, he probably never would have been. If the computer thing is a regular obsession, then maybe you could write out a checklist for him, and he can tick off all the stages. Then perhaps he could look at the checklist to reassure himself, rather than going through the whole process of turning it on and off every time - it would be less time-consuming.

Bach's Rescue Remedy is supposed to be helpful for relaxing. They now do a special night time one that says it will help to reduce intrusive thoughts. It is suitable for children. Might be worth a try.

Hi Jonathon,

When our daughter was being assessed by CAHMS they brought up her obsessions which they said was a level of OCD - and that lots of ASD children have this.

They determined that not only was ritualistic behaviour part of her make up but that her anxiety levels at any given time determined how the OCD manifested and we too were told that until it takes over their life beyond everything else then it just comes as part and parcel of her ASD - and that it would only become 'OCD' in it's own right if this happens.

Take care,

Jb

hi im no expert but speaking from my own experience with my son hes 11 i think the two disorders are intertwined my son seems to get more obsessed about "germs"the higher his anxiety levels are he has to constantley go back and forth to the sink to wash his hands and then carefully drying his hands he has to have a clean towel each time ive minimised washing a little by buying him a stack of flannels he also keeps going back and forth to the toilet for a wee when his stress levels are very high would a tick chart help reassure him computer etc is off i find my son reponds more to visuals when hes anxious my sons been on a mild beta blocker for a while now which has the side effect of lowering anxiety levels and i think its helped him a lot id ask doctor for advice could he have some support therapy with someone my son sees a learning difficuties nurse(whose linked to his paed phyc) every week at home who helps work through his anxieties wih him hope this helps pm me if i can be any futher help take care lots of luck >:D<<'> >:D<<'> oh hes obseessed with every perfect in his bedroom as well

Yes !! Why didn't I think of that a tick chart might help, I think I am so tired I can't think straight

anymore, what would I do without your help, many many thanks, it is so nice to know other people

are going through the same and coping really well with it themselves, your son is very lucky ! >:D<<'>

I personally think his anxiety levels are high but he says he isn't worried about anything

so I can't get to the root of the problem, but since he has only just started a new school year

I am wondering if the change may have caused this upset, many thanks for all your help!

Hi Jonathan,

There is a natural tendency in AS to develop obsessions. They are harmless, and often even beneficial, productive and calming. However, because of this, we do have a tendency to develop OCD. I am not sure of the actual diagnostic criteria for OCD, but it is my opinion that when an obsession causes a problem, then it has crossed the line and become an illness. If your son is having to make checks he doesn't want to make, and is feeling upset, then I think you are definitely right to see the doctor about it.

If distracting him seems to be helping, then it's worth carrying on with in the short term. Sometimes though, the only way to be reassured is to be allowed to carry out the checks until you are satisfied, but if he's not satisfied after two hours, he probably never would have been. If the computer thing is a regular obsession, then maybe you could write out a checklist for him, and he can tick off all the stages. Then perhaps he could look at the checklist to reassure himself, rather than going through the whole process of turning it on and off every time - it would be less time-consuming.

Bach's Rescue Remedy is supposed to be helpful for relaxing. They now do a special night time one that says it will help to reduce intrusive thoughts. It is suitable for children. Might be worth a try.

Yes I agree then can be calming and in the past when he has collections/obsessions they have helped him but this one seems to be causing anxiety to the point of really upsetting him

so I think I will try the tick chart first and see if this helps, thanks ever so much for all your help

Hi Jonathon,

When our daughter was being assessed by CAHMS they brought up her obsessions which they said was a level of OCD - and that lots of ASD children have this.

They determined that not only was ritualistic behaviour part of her make up but that her anxiety levels at any given time determined how the OCD manifested and we too were told that until it takes over their life beyond everything else then it just comes as part and parcel of her ASD - and that it would only become 'OCD' in it's own right if this happens.

Take care,

Jb

It seems to be lasting about half an hour with one thing then half an hour with another but add them

all together it can go on all night, he is fine in the day so it seems to come when it is time to relax

he has melatonin which has been a wonder drug for about 14 months now but this anxiety is over riding that as well, I hope as he settle more into the new school year we will see a difference

and maybe the tick chart will ease him alittle ! many thanks

Have no advice but couldnt read n run, my ds is exactly the same n some days it takes hours to get him to stop whatever the pattern is he is in.

Have no advice but couldnt read n run, my ds is exactly the same n some days it takes hours to get him to stop whatever the pattern is he is in.

Oh for a miracle cure eh!! thanks, I have just bought some Bach's Rescue remedy as posted above

fingers crossed it helps in some small way!!

Oh for a miracle cure eh!! thanks, I have just bought some Bach's Rescue remedy as posted above

fingers crossed it helps in some small way!!

Let us know if it helps, might give it a go with my lad. :thumbs:

Let us know if it helps, might give it a go with my lad. :thumbs:

Hi again

I have been using the bachs rescue since weekend and have noticed my son has been obsessing lesser and lesser and last night he went to bed and didn't go to sleep until 11pm

but signs of the usual obsessions of late, he has started with a cold so

I'm not sure if the Bach's is a wonder drug or he

was more tired with having the cold ,fingers crossed, I would definately recommend the Bachs Rescue remedy though as I am convinced it it that HOORAY!!