Cariad1

Hellooooo

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have a son who was diagnosed as Aspergers about 3 years ago. He was 24 at the time. I have been on several talks about Aspergers and learned a few strategies to help him organise himself and to finish what he started. .I've tried to help my son with these things but he resists all attempts to help him so he still struggles with some of the basics like personal hygiene. How do you get through to someone who has only been diagnosed as an adult?

Hi & welcome. No answers I'm afraid, my son is 19 but dx'd when little, but there are lots of recently dx'd adult aspies on here who may be able to help.

I really love your name choice, doesn't Caraid mean friend?

I think something like personal hygine etc is a tricky one.

Does he have friends or go to college etc? As if he is not out and about and is at home all day he has no reason to get up and shower, put clean clothes on etc. Something like that gives a bit of motivation to do something about personal hygine.

Hi there,

Cariad means Loved one.

Yes my son goes to to the pub but doesn't seem to notice his clothes are stained or his hair is very greasy and his teeth are all dirty. He resents me telling him that he needs to change his t shirt or wash his hair, but if I don't remind him he starts to look like a tramp. He wants a girlfriend and eeven telling him he need to look clean and smart to get one doesn't seem to work.

gundy

I really love your name choice, doesn't Caraid mean friend?

I think something like personal hygine etc is a tricky one.

Does he have friends or go to college etc? As if he is not out and about and is at home all day he has no reason to get up and shower, put clean clothes on etc. Something like that gives a bit of motivation to do something about personal hygine.

u could try to talk to him about it, ok he probably won't like to listen, but maybe when he calms down again he will think about it and what his friends will think of him if he is not keeping himself clean.

tho he probably doesn't care what he looks like. and is probably too busy with other things to be botherd with showering/brushing teeth.

getting into a routine would be good, like have a shower every day or every second day.

if i think of any good ideas I'll let you know,

I would look into weather your local council have an adult ASD support service, we do here, supported housing with key workers, especially AS.

MENCAP are an organisation that have helped us, as well as contact a family, though I understand your son is now an adult they will have further information on Adult support for ASDs.

Another is OAASIS they are a special needs advice service too.

You could request an assessment of need so this would give you and identification to what support he does need from your local services.

Goodluck with the help services and let us know how you are.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi there

Guess it may be a case of ascertaining whether he doesn't want to eg wash, or whether he forgets? If he doesn't want to, would a social story help (do a google search on Carol Gray Social Stories). If it's a case of forgetting, would visual cues help to prompt him? These things aren't necessarily for children and the good things about them is that they can be tailored.

Best wishes.

Caroline.