julieann

Has anyone got a C.A.F.?

I wondered if anyone had come across a C.A.F. (Common Assessment Framework).

The pupil I have been supporting in secondary school for the last three years, who has been statemented for the last 10 years, has had her statement taken away and replaced with a CAF (Common Assessment Framework)

Her parents have been told that it is a legal document and better than a statement as the school can give help immediately if it is needed and they don't have to apply for extra hours from county.

If anyone does have a child with a CAF, I was wondering what help your child was getting in school as my pupil tells me the learning support co-ordinator hasn't spoken to or seen her at all since she started back in yr 10 September 3rd. The new teachers haven't been told that she has learning difficulties and are writing comments on her work about it being untidy.

Although I am no longer employed to support her she is coming to me nearly every lunchtime with homework she doesn't understand, teachers she thinks hate her, didn't know how to get up pie chart on excel. Didn't want peers or teacher to know she couldn't do it etc. She is becoming very unhappy. She seems to think that because she has lost her statement the teachers think she is cured and she is still having difficulties with drawing charts, margins etc. Her 45 minute homework takes her 1.50 hrs because of diagrams ,charts etc. She won't talk to learning co-ordinator because she doesn't like her.

I feel she is being let down and want to phone her mum and let her know what is happening, but as I'm no longer employed to support her, professionally I'm not allowed to do that.

Julieann

We have had two CAFs they are an identification to need, and gives an overall level for criterias for support, basically we didnt get to the criteria for support, so we went without, they are not a statement, they have a full section on education and in there is where you would note the child is on any special educational needs, so school action, school action plus, expelled, pru, special school, statement, part time, but a CAF is not a replacement for SENs.

Its sounds like the law maybe has been broken here and I wounder if the parents had an oportunity to appeal the statement been removed by a tribunal hearing, I bet not, sounds extreamly dodgy and I would urge the parents to ask for an instant assessment of SEN today, this second.

The parents really need urgent proffessional advice, IPSEA, NETWORK 81, NAS EDUCATION LINE, CONTACT A FAMILY, ACE, Are all excellent and have helplines and some have outreach workers who can come and meet the family to ensure rights are enforced.

Poor kid, sounds like she is struggling and not getting the right help, A CAF will only identify what she does need, but it wont nessasarily materialise, as its all about funding. IT IS NOT A STATEMENT OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH EDUCATION.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

A CAF is used by agencies (SS, schools, etc) to pass on basic information about a child and to raise concerns, which are then supposed to be picked up by the releveant agency and processed.

It says: The CAF is a standardised approach to conducting an assessment of a child's additional needs and deciding how those needs should be met.

www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/deliveringservices/caf/

I don't think this comes down to the level of "having trouble with homework" though - just "X has AS - school should monitor and provide support".

I think they are legal (in that all counties have to use them - following on from Victoria Climbie tragedy and working together), but I can't see how it would get her eg: LSA support.

You would imagine that she would be on at least SA+ if she has just had her Statement removed, so she should be getting help/being monitored (though my son was taken off the SEN Register after being on SA+ and no one told me, and he now gets little help).

Definitely contact IPSEA - see if the parents can appeal the removal of the Statement.

A CAF is not the equivalent of a statement. It's an information gathering tool which is supposed to help early identification of a child's difficulties and better coordination of all the services which might be involved with the child. It does not have the legal force of a statement and it is not an educational document. It is not supposed to replace the detailed multidisciplinary statutory assessment which is the first step to a statement, although evidence from the CAF may be used in the statementing process.

These parents have been lied to. The CAF may be useful assessment tool if used appropriately, but it doesn't oblige anyone to provide anything, least of the the LEA funding for the special educational provision this child so obviously needs.

It sounds as though the parents were not clearly informed of their right to appeal against the termination of the statement. They should have had a letter about this, it's the law. Unfortunately if the two month deadline has passed, they will have lost their right to appeal.

I feel frustrated reading this: you must feel even more so!

Jill

The pupil I have been supporting in secondary school for the last three years, who has been statemented for the last 10 years, has had her statement taken away and replaced with a CAF (Common Assessment Framework)

I feel she is being let down and want to phone her mum and let her know what is happening, but as I'm no longer employed to support her, professionally I'm not allowed to do that.

Hi Kathryn, Kazzen 161 and J's mum

Thank-you for responding to my question. I have discovered that the school has told county that xxxx's needs can be better met with SA+. I am having a meeting with xxxx's Yr 10 pastoral care in the morning and will let you know how it goes. I can't talk to the learning co-ordinator as she hasn't been in all week as "she doesn't feel very well".

Julieann

the school has told county that xxxx's needs can be better met with SA+

I very much doubt that her needs can be *better* met with SA+. Whether they can be *adequately* met with SA+ seems doubtful given what you have said.

SA+ means professionals are giving advice to the school re: meeting her needs.

Hi

My understanding of CAF is that it is a multi-agency meeting to make sure that the right type of support is in place and that everyone is doing what they should be doing. if other agencies need to be called upon then they are.

It is simply a process.

As for school action plus all this means it that outside agencies such as CAMHS and outreach workers are involved. School then provide what support they can where as with a statement they have a legal obligation.

The funding of children on school action plus is applied for every year. They have to carry out an audit on each child who they think will qualify for extra funding they then have to provide evidence over a certain time period and the LEA give them the dates for this to happen. This evidence then goes before a panel who decide on which child will get funding. So a lot depends on the ability of how well staff write up the evidence and how more than my jobs worth the panel feel like being.

This is only my understanding.

It all comes down to penny pinching at the end of the day as does everything with support for our children.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Is it possible to find out whether the Ceasing to Maintain was handled correctly? If it wasn't, then she could take action against the LEA. Someone needs to slip her IPSEA's number - I appreciate that you yourself aren't in a position to do anything directly to help her.

K x

Is it possible to find out whether the Ceasing to Maintain was handled correctly? If it wasn't, then she could take action against the LEA. Someone needs to slip her IPSEA's number - I appreciate that you yourself aren't in a position to do anything directly to help her.

K x

I saw my pupil and her mum whilst out shopping in the six weeks holidays and only went over to say hi to them both and it all came tumbling out how only mum could get to the review and the learning support co- ordinator and educational psychologist spent over three hours trying to pursuade her to agree to give up the statement. When she still hadn't signed an agreement form they went round to her home address to get it.

The school don't know that I printed out different helpline forms from ACE with how to appeal and her rights to complain etc. and posted them to her. But there are a lot of social issues going on at home and after fighting every step of the way for her daughter for the last 10 years I think she's both mentally and physically exhausted.

When mum went to the review she had no idea that finishing the statement was even an option.

julieann

Edited by julieann

I saw my pupil and her mum whilst out shopping in the six weeks holidays and only went over to say hi to them both and it all came tumbling out how only mum could get to the review and the learning support co- ordinator and educational psychologist spent over three hours trying to pursuade her to agree to give up the statement. When she still hadn't signed an agreement form they went round to her home address to get it.

The school don't know that I printed out different helpline forms from ACE with how to appeal and her rights to complain etc. and posted them to her. But there are a lot of social issues going on at home and after fighting every step of the way for her daughter for the last 10 years I think she's both mentally and physically exhausted.

When mum went to the review she had no idea that finishing the statement was even an option.

julieann

This all sounds highly improper. Did she not get any Review paperwork before the meeting? Parents should be aware if it is likely that the school will suggest ending the Statement (as in that the child is doing very well). She should definitely call IPSEA, and maybe get her MP involved.

Harrassing her for 3 hours and then going round to her house (were they invited?) amounts to intimidation.

julieann

Even if she signed something it would not have affected her right of appeal. I wonder if the proper process was followed? It sounds as though she could really have done with some representation. There must be so many parents like her who are just overwhelmed and don't even make it to forums like this, or to helplines to find out what their rights are. :(

K x

My learning co-ordinator was finally back this afternoon , having been off since last Friday because she didn't feel very well.

She is the person who decided xxxxx no longer needed a statement. Although when I tackled her about the decision to finish rather than reduce the statement she said it wasn't her it was all above her head at county hall.

She was the one dancing around the staffroom shouting yes!, yes! I've finally got her off a statement after 10 years as if she'd won the lottery. :wallbash:

She is my line manager who I am meant to be able to talk to with support issues. Only she isn't speaking to me at the moment because I spoke to pastoral care about xxxxx and not her. :whistle::tearful:

I tried to get help for xxxxx this morning. I had a meeting with a staff member who has the role of pastoral care at the school. I told her my concerns, explained xxxxx problems and she assured me that she would have a little chat with xxxxx today and get back to me after Monday. I came away feeling I had at least made some progress.

That only lasted until just after lunchtime. I was supporting another pupil in the same class as xxxxx. After everything I had explained about xxxxx not wanting to ask for help within the classroom environment, doesn't like confrontation or talking 1:1 with adults she doesn't feel comfortable with, doesn't like her peers knowing she can't do something. She was taken out of class to see her head of year in front of everyone. Not knowing what it was she had done. A trip to head of year in lesson time usually means your in trouble.

xxxxx said:

" My head of year sat me in a little room that was very hot". "I was frightened of her because she kept staring at me and saying, "Is there anything you want to tell me. It doesn't have to be about school" I didn't know what I was meant to say."

The head of year is actually a very nice caring young lady but she wears glasses that are magnified and when she speaks to you she leans forward at you. Her voice has quite a sharp pitch to it. Not the ideal combination for an aspie :wacko:

Anyway the day hasn't been a total washout as xxxxx told me that the teachers have given her less homework today than they usually do. :thumbs: One step forwards, three steps backwards as they say.

julieann

Edited by julieann

I can't believe this, it is terrible for the girl, and her parents that they have taken away her statement and are now trying to fob her off with inadequate support.�It is however� brilliant to hear what a supportive and thoughtful person you are being to her and her family, you are doing a great job.� :notworthy:

I have experience of CAF forms. The school completed a CAF form when they refered my eldest son for "anger management" counselling after his annual review last year, and its a long form which lists questions about all the areas of a childs life and helps identify areas where help is needed from other agencies/ parties (e.g. it includes questions about early years, home life, health, learning etc. and my understanding is that it is used by multiple agencies (CAMHS, social worker, school etc) to share the information about your child and ensure they get the help and support they need and it was not there to replace his statement. I had to read and sign the form once it was completed to give permission for info. to be shared as appropriate, and I actually have a copy of it at home.You can also view a blank copy of the document online, and there is some explanation there about how the form is used.

Will the mum be able to appeal withdrawal of the statement or is it too late???

Will the mum be able to appeal withdrawal of the statement or is it too late???

Thank-you for your kind comments Westie. Unfortunately the paperwork all went through over the six weeks holidays and I received notification from county Hall that xxxxx's statement had finished. It was only through a chance meeting with xxxxx and her mum in a shopping centre that I found out what had really happened to her. I had been supporting xxxxx for the last three years and didn't even know that the review was happening. :angry:

Thats terrible. Do they never accept late appeals for good reasons? (I ask because a long time ago I applied for DLA for eldest which they turned down, and I appealed late with the reason that I was waiting for a particular assessment to finish plus some other school related stuff and they did accept my appeal - which I did not win in the end but it was reassessed at least even though I was over time limit). If not is there any way she could ask for a new assessment for SEN?? I am not aware of rules regarding this, sorry

If it could be shown that the LA did not follow correct procedure in withdrawing the statement, there might be a case for a judicial review of the decision.

In the case of "ceasing to maintain" , a statement must remain in force until the two month deadline for appeal has passed.

Very very dodgy indeed. :wacko:

K x