Sign in to follow this  
something_different

Autism Friendly Cinema

just found this at a local Cinema

we are introducing monthly autism-friendly screenings. The film and the cinema environment will be suitable for children with autism spectrum disorders and/or sensory hypersensitivity. The films have no subtitles, are played with the volume reduced and the house lights on low. Children can make noise and move around. Children with other disabilities are welcome to attend the screenings too.

The screenings will take place on the first Saturday of each month at 12.30pm.

"A" has never been to the Cinema I know he would not cope, even at home he will turn the volume on the telly down and don't sit still for more that 5 minutes at a time.

Last time I went to the cinema, about 5 years ago, I left with my ears ringing, I just do not know why it is felt that the volume has to be so loud.

I have spoken to cinema staff about this and they just say that that is the way it is, and think I'm a bit odd for asking.

Apparently they cant turn the volume down??

Does anyone know of other cinemas that are doing this ? Special showings.

I would go even if "A" didn't want to.

Edited by chris54

"A" has never been to the Cinema I know he would not cope, even at home he will turn the volume on the telly down and don't sit still for more that 5 minutes at a time.

Last time I went to the cinema, about 5 years ago, I left with my ears ringing, I just do not know why it is felt that the volume has to be so loud.

I have spoken to cinema staff about this and they just say that that is the way it is, and think I'm a bit odd for asking.

Apparently they cant turn the volume down??

Does anyone know of other cinemas that are doing this ? Special showings.

I would go even if "A" didn't want to.

Yes - several near me in London do this once a month. My DD loves the cinema at the normal volumes though, and as we only take her to see children's films anyway, we can get away with it if she's a bit fidgetey or loud, so we've never been to one of the special showings.

Its a great idea and others should encourage their local cinemas to try it. It started in our area and has spread. We even have managed autism friendly theatre.

We found autism friendly screenings at a cinema about an hour away - it was a really fab experience. There were no adverts, the volume was lower than usual, and it didn't matter that DS was making a bit of noise :thumbs:

We are hoping to get an ASD support group running locally, and we'll hopefully be able to persuade the local cinema to do this.