Sign in to follow this  
connieruff

Teaching at home

My son has Aspergers and I have found that he has completely lost the plot as regards maths, he just switches off in the classroom. He is 6.

I know from my own experience that once this happens there is no catching up - if you miss one lesson then you cannot really go on to the next stage. So I have decided to support him at home more, we went on the BBC Bitesize and I made sure he only did the ones that he found easy, its really important not to go beyond that if you want to get their confidence back. And stop while you are ahead. I have also found a wonderful website with lots of maths toys etc. If your child finds maths difficult (or any other subject come to that) then you need to go right back to basics again.

Its http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/toy...ng-numeracy.asp

It's brilliant.

Ooooooo thanx for that my lad hates maths with a passion n wont even attempt to do it in class n really has to be pushed to do it.

My son has Aspergers and I have found that he has completely lost the plot as regards maths, he just switches off in the classroom. He is 6.

I know from my own experience that once this happens there is no catching up - if you miss one lesson then you cannot really go on to the next stage. So I have decided to support him at home more, we went on the BBC Bitesize and I made sure he only did the ones that he found easy, its really important not to go beyond that if you want to get their confidence back. And stop while you are ahead. I have also found a wonderful website with lots of maths toys etc. If your child finds maths difficult (or any other subject come to that) then you need to go right back to basics again.

Its http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/toy...ng-numeracy.asp

It's brilliant.

Hi,

My pair also have AS and maths has been a real torture for them both (they are nine) their english is great but numbers stuff :wallbash: just don't go there!!

So over the summer I started them on the KUMON program and it has really made a BIG difference - little by little their confidence is growing - result!

I will diffo check out BBC Bitesize and your link sounds worth a look too! :D

XX