Sign in to follow this  
nvapid

times article

Did you read the article in the Sunday Times on 5 October? Sorry I don't have the link and, as I'm rather dopey recovering from a lurgy, I can't remember much of the content - something to do with a relatively high proportion of highly able mathematicians being on the autism spectrum. The journalist described autism and AS as 'mental afflictions' - a quaint description!

Billabong

Did you read the article in the Sunday Times on 5 October? Sorry I don't have the link and, as I'm rather dopey recovering from a lurgy, I can't remember much of the content - something to do with a relatively high proportion of highly able mathematicians being on the autism spectrum. The journalist described autism and AS as 'mental afflictions' - a quaint description!

Autism Genes can add up to Genius

I don't think there's anything new in this article - it's a report of SBC's work on autism/mathematics as he's been talking about it this week. It does show (to me anyhow) some of the ways a little misunderstanding (or possibly different understandings...) can potentially result in furthering public misunderstanding - take this paragraph for instance:

The idea that autism may have positive aspects is finding favour among some of those with the condition. Some resent being labelled disabled and have begun describing those without autism as "neurotypicals" to make the point that they could be the ones missing out.

I would like to state for the record that when I use the term 'NT' I am simply meaning not-autistic and not making a point ... :ph34r:

... and we shall 'brush over' the mental afflictions :wallbash::devil:

Edited by Mumble

I for one don't see autism as a 'special gift' or anything...it's just a different basic wiring system from the neurotypical...both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

Bid :)

I for one don't see autism as a 'special gift' or anything...it's just a different basic wiring system from the neurotypical...

Would that be those poor neurotypicals who are 'missing out'? :ph34r::devil::lol:

I have never thought of the term "neurotypical" to mean that non-autistic people are missing out either. As far as I know, it just means non-autistic. I think maybe the person who wrote that article may have seen some of the "aspie-supremacy" websites where people refer to NTs in a derogatory way, or even something like the "institute for the study of the neurologically typical" website - but not really got the joke.

Silly reporter.

It is ADHD type behaviours that are linked to watching far too much TV, although having seen Sam in action him staying in the same room as the TV for long enough to have too much TV beats me.

It is the normal kids displaying such ADHD behaviours get a lot better when they get some good TLC and attention from their parents.

Autism Genes can add up to Genius

I don't think there's anything new in this article - it's a report of SBC's work on autism/mathematics as he's been talking about it this week. It does show (to me anyhow) some of the ways a little misunderstanding (or possibly different understandings...) can potentially result in furthering public misunderstanding - take this paragraph for instance:

The idea that autism may have positive aspects is finding favour among some of those with the condition. Some resent being labelled disabled and have begun describing those without autism as "neurotypicals" to make the point that they could be the ones missing out.

I would like to state for the record that when I use the term 'NT' I am simply meaning not-autistic and not making a point ... :ph34r:

... and we shall 'brush over' the mental afflictions :wallbash::devil:

I'm glad it's not just me not being too impressed with the journalistic licence (ie misrepresentation or misunderstanding of facts). Bid's 'different basic wiring system' is just how I'd describe it - we've all got our good and not so wonderful points, some of them to do with our wiring, some to do with our individual personalities. My AS husband says AS are 'normal' but that everyone else is odd - but I know he's teasing when he says that. Oh yes I do! :lol:

Other studies, however, have found similar patterns. Baron-Cohen, whose cousin Sacha Baron Cohen is the comic actor behind the Ali G and Borat characters, said: ?Separate studies have shown that the fathers and grandfathers of children with autism are twice as likely to work in engineering. quote

Well Im glad they cleared that up about Sacha Baron Cohen. Ive been wondering about that. I thought maybe brothers!

It's funny that his being related to Sacha Baron Cohen gives him more clout than his academic credentials and experience!

It's wonderful (not), isn't it, the cult of celebrity? Madonna's divorce almost pipped the economic crisis to top billing on the news. Madonna who?? :rolleyes:

Whether or not this has long term advantages for people with AS and HFA, I think it's a great idea. The Lego clubs are based around a structure which is easy to understand, doesn't require any complex unwritten social rules, and encourages co-operation around a common interest. The opportunity for social contact is always a good thing to improve social skills and confidence too.