Sign in to follow this  
sammykin

clumsiness

hi everyone, i am sorry if i am posting something already dealt with but i am new and coont find a thread for it! my son has fallen off his current bike twice ( the first time on his way to his new secondary school!!!! what a day to do that. he broke a bone in his finger. he fell off it again last week and now will not ride it at all. he already has had a previous bike that we sold for similar reasons. he is now walking nearly 2 miles to school as there is no bus that takes him there at the corect time and he has 2 rucsacs. anyway what i wanted to know - is this lack of co-ordination or clumsiness common? do others have this problem and if so then any suggestions?

It is very common a lot of children on the spectrum also have dyspraxia which is poor coordination. it makes things like PE very difficult. My son won,t do PE at all and has great difficulty riding a bike, doing any kind of sports in fact. Throwing and catching are also a problem and they quite often also drop things, knock things over and are just generally very clumsy. I am sure i have dyspraxia too as i have all these difficulties and hated PE at school.

Cant really help much other than to say yes my son(8) has all the thing you mentioned.

We got him a new bike for his last birthday, first one without stabilizers and found there is no way that he has a hope of ridding it, no sense of balance whatsoever.

I have just got some big stabilizers for it so he can at least have a go at riding it in the garden. They cost about �15.

They also sell heavy duty ones for adult bikes that cost about �50. seems a lot for what they are.

You could also go down the road of getting him a tricycle., thinking of getting one of them for myself, Cost up to �500.

I would not say to much about walking to school, It is a mile to my sons school, I walk there and back twice a day. Well it keeps me fit (for nothing).

When I was a child we walked best part of 2 miles to school.

Never got any sympathy from my mum " When I was your age we walked 8 miles to school in the summer across the fields and 12 by the roads in the winter". Bit of an exaggeration I think but it puts thing into prospective don't it.

My lad really struggles with a bike he can about stay on tho saying that fell off again yesterday, he falls off his scooter too n broke his elbow once due to it. He will actually trip over nothing if that makes sense.

I used to walk nearly 2 miles to school. In the 6th form I cycled 5 miles each way. It doesn't take that long to walk 2 miles.

Why does he need 2 rucksacks? Is there any way he could have one, larger rucksack, and a few bits in a bag he can carry in his hand?

Hi, my son has quite good co ordination but doesnt gage his enviroement properly, so bumps into door frames, trips up stairs, catches the curb with his wheel, severe road safety, he scared himself yesterday after coming with in inches with a car, boy did he have a panic, Ive been told Js clumsyness is part of his inattention, distractabilty, not concentrating on what he is doing, and not taking into account gaps, corners, and his enviroment.

JsMum

Hi again.

Just remembered, I use to walk 2 miles to school and back and use to come home for dinners as well, Just about had time to get home eat dinner and back to school. Dinner break did last 1 1/2 hours as they had to have 3 sitting as the hall was not big enough to do it any other way. and there was 47 in my class and there were no such thing as TA, the kids to day don't know how lucky they are and there coming to take my awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

The other thing which you would find amazing today is that from the age of 5 I use to do that walk on my own crossing at least 2 main road. In the winter we finished school at 3.45 so it was dark before I got home.

When I went up to secondary school only had a mile to walk.

Talking about bikes...

DS1 (age 10, Y6, AS) was told today that he's the only one in his class who is too wobbly and unsafe to do his cycling proficiency this week. He can't do the basic cycling in a straight line while signalling etc so he can't go on the roads.

Well, at least he had a go. I'm proud of him for wanting to do it and have ago. We'll just to have to practise lots at home (if his confidence and self-esteem isn't too battered after today...) :(

Lizzie xx

Varying degrees of clumsiness and lack of gross motor co-ordination is very common amongst kids with AS. It's regularly noticed by onlookers but rarely understood. Until the mid 1990s it was commonly viewed by teachers and GPs as low personal standards and a sloppy attitude in a similar manner to lack of pride in ones appearance by wearing dirty and scruffy clothes.

Hi Sammykin,

my daughter would never manage to walk the 2 miles to school so i know where you are coming from.

my daughter has hypermobility and this means her joints are more bendy and flexible than most, this causes her pain and also does make her a bit more clumsy, she is very long and gangly at the minute as she is growing again lol.

Anyway it may be worth looking into this in case this is a reason as well as dyspraxia, i think they are both quite common in AS.

take care

N x

My daughter who has Asperger's (now age 22) could never ride a bike even with stabilizers. She once got some roller skate boots and fell over and broke her wrist first time out. She also walks into the person next to her if she goes out walking anywhere. My grandson, also Asperger's isnt interested in riding a bike unless you push him.

So I would say its extremely common and think if I was in your position I would want someone to fund him getting to and from school somehow, if he has ASD and has to walk 2 miles to school. Or would this come under DLA mobility?