Sign in to follow this  
CEJesson

Fire drill this morning

:rolleyes: I managed to get through the fire drill at 6.55am this morning, the alarms are thankfully nowhere near as bad as my residence last year. There the noise was mentally scarring. Here they are loud still but the noise is different and somewhat better.

The situation was made better because my mentor had found out the date and time of the drill for me. An email was sent a few weeks ago 'warning of a drill sometime in the next few weeks' but I could see myself not sleeping each night until the drill actually took place! I was a bit petrified last night though and went to bed fully clothed!

last night I went to bed with all the room lights on, didn't want a repeat of an episode last September where the room was pitch black, I couldn't find my keys or glasses and I ended up shouting around terrified in my room.

Fire alarms are definately very scary to those sensitive to noise, its one of those noises that are hard to adapt to - nightclubs you can a bit more easily but only with earplugs and music you actually like. Traffic noise (especially lorries) is another one that is difficult to manage does anyone agree?

Fire alarms are definitely very scary to those sensitive to noise, its one of those noises that are hard to adapt to - nightclubs you can a bit more easily but only with earplugs and music you actually like. Traffic noise (especially lorries) is another one that is difficult to manage does anyone agree?

Absolutely - we're due our early morning fire practise soon but they haven't told me when (even though they previously said they would... :angry:). I find the fire alarm really really difficult - even when they test it on their regular alarm test time.

I think the difference in the noises you mention is pattern and predictability. I can't cope with night clubs because of sensory factors beyond the noise but I can see how they could be predictable - fire alarms are totally unpredictable and traffic noise is very mixed (lots of different noises including horns) and chaotic.

My little boy is petrified of fire alarms n cries his heart out..he was in a taekwondo class a year or so n the alarm went off unexpectedly n he totally freaked took me over an hour and 3 firemen to calm him n convince him he was ok. >:D<<'>

Absolutely - we're due our early morning fire practise soon but they haven't told me when (even though they previously said they would... ). I find the fire alarm really really difficult - even when they test it on their regular alarm test time.

That is disappointing that they have not got back to you, they should appreciate for peace of mind's sake (as well as your personal requirements sake) that you need to know of the time. I can understand that without them contacting you, theres a greater chance of worry each night that the alarm is going to be set off. Sending a vague email with no designated time may not bother 95% of people for example, but that 5% will be the total other extreme - concerned or frightened.

I think the difference in the noises you mention is pattern and predictability. I can't cope with night clubs because of sensory factors beyond the noise

Yes one of the issues we are raising at the Disabled/Dyslexic Students' Forum is strobe lighting on Union Nights. This contributes strongly towards the sensory issues for people at this university.

It is indeed that 'predictability' that has made me learn to cope with a nightclub situation. It is strange that I found dance music very uplifting, when I am a person affected by noise, and indeed the prediction of 'which songs will be on' always seems to help. You wait for the song to be played and it is this anticipation that keeps you going. Otherwise I'd either not attend or leave after an hour.

Sensory issues haven't seemed to be a problem over the years.

Edited by CEJesson

My little boy is petrified of fire alarms n cries his heart out..he was in a taekwondo class a year or so n the alarm went off unexpectedly n he totally freaked took me over an hour and 3 firemen to calm him n convince him he was ok. >:D<<'>

The question is, not "why so loud" but "why that noise?" - I am not saying it has to be a music theme tune as a fire alarm, but often the sounder emits a horrible siren, some with a flashing red light. A ringing bell would be equally as effective but wouldnt have such a lasting effect psychologically. I wonder whether this sort of thing is ever discussed in policy for students with a disability?

It is the sort of noise that is 'degrading' - in the sense that nerves are badly affected - last years events where we had 26 fire alarms in 3 weeks (over 20 of them in the middle of the night), meant even low decibel noise was an issue that jolted nerves.

After these 26 alarms I was no longer able to:

- Turn the lights off in my room at night when going to bed,

- draw the curtains to block out light

- sleep facing the ceiling and the fire alarm sensor itself

- keep my eye off the fire alarm sensor.

- sleep without the duvet cover over my head

- sleep without earplugs

---------------------------

Some of these issues remain - namely leaving the light on and sleeping with duvet over the head and with earplugs in.

Also, some songs have noises in the background that sound similar to fire alarms, particularly in dance music and this was very difficult to contend with.

It was made worse by the position of the sensor - it was right above you when you were at your desk, and it was right above you when you were sleeping. This year it is by the door which poses a less severe risk on paranoia.

Edited by CEJesson

Its great that you got through the alarm so well. >:D<<'>

Its also great to hear about how these things feel from an adult perspective because little ones can't tell us how they feel etc and just react to situations leaving us confused.

Thanks very much for helping me to understand.

Mwah!

I hate fire alarms! The one we have at work makes a siren noise and it is horrible. My colleagues know that they need to come and get me if the alarm goes off. We also have a doorbell and if I am standing underneath it when someone rings the doorbell, that is very unpleasant as well. Someone has also taken to whistling loudly to announce breaks, and that scares me as well.

Instead of leaving all the lights on, what about a night light? It would give you just enough light to find your things, but wouldn't be too bright and keep you awake.

But I don't see the point in a fire drill if you already know about it. If you can't cope with an unexpected drill, however would you cope if the alarm went off due to an unscheduled fire? Obviously it's horrible that people get upset, but when the alternative is that people may die, it is something that we just have to learn to put up with.

Sending a vague email with no designated time may not bother 95% of people for example, but that 5% will be the total other extreme - concerned or frightened.

We had similar when we went to sea for training we'd be put under constant alert for fire exercises and emergencys 24 hours and i could never sleep properly because of the uncertainty.

The question is, not "why so loud" but "why that noise?" - I am not saying it has to be a music theme tune as a fire alarm, but often the sounder emits a horrible siren, some with a flashing red light. A ringing bell would be equally as effective but wouldnt have such a lasting effect psychologically. I wonder whether this sort of thing is ever discussed in policy for students with a disability?

The siren is deliberately that way to ensure everyone is woken up and to cause enough disturbance so you wont want to stay. Old type fire bells could be easily drowned out under a pillow!!!

The strobe light is for people who are hearing impaired and also a visual reminder of the type of alarm as some places have different alarms for different emergencies. red strobe is almost always fire. They cant really get rid of the light as its part of fire regs now for new fire alarm installations.

But I don't see the point in a fire drill if you already know about it. If you can't cope with an unexpected drill, however would you cope if the alarm went off due to an unscheduled fire? Obviously it's horrible that people get upset, but when the alternative is that people may die, it is something that we just have to learn to put up with.

Good point - and the point management use - however, they fail to take into account how a 'drill' is so different to an actual setting off of the alarm. When the alarm gets set off (usually because students are smoking in their rooms :ph34r: or because they've come back slightly worst for wear at 4am and think hitting the 'pretty red box on the wall' will be fun.... :wallbash:) it is horrible for all the reasons Chris says but copable with...

When they have a planned drill, not only do the alarms go off, but you get all the 'senior students' (read as don't do anything except on this one date and probably the most drunk of the lot... :drunk:), staff, security etc., dressed up in fluorescent 'fire officer' jackets running up and down the corridors, banging on all doors, shouting 'Fire, get out now' and a bit of a panic all round as all the students try to get out, half asleep, unsure what's happening (I know what happens because this is my third year here now...) and even when we get outside we are all shepherded by more 'fire officers' down to a separate area of campus (which is apparently where we are supposed to go when the alarms go off, but no one ever does for a 'normal' alarm). This is a terrifying event for many students, not just for any student on the spectrum as no-one knows what is happening but it is clearly something different to a normal alarm (which we have several of and never accompanied by 'fire officers' or door banging). It is this 'drill' that I asked to be made aware of.

As for the sensor alarm in my room .... positioned above the bed and desk, little flashing light ... *shudders*