ScienceGeek

Life skills

My wife announced that she will be going to South Africa for 2 months (march 2010, I know a long way away but still have to plan). So during that 2 month period I'll be living alone with the cats, I've never lived alone in my life. I don't know anything about budgeting and other household stuff as my wife deals with everything involving money. I guess I'm thinking if I get in the practice now, it won't be as hard when the time comes around.

I don't want her not to go because I'm unable to look after myself. Bearing in mind that every time she has been away even for a weekend I've had some kind of accident that required an A&E visit! :rolleyes: I think this experience will be great for her. She will be volunteering with AIDS orphans. I'm just thinking practically about it now. Any good resources to start with? Any tips?

What kind of life skills do you mean?

Your wife can make sure direct debit is set up for bills while she is gone, and make sure that their will be enough money in the bank to cover these bills.

Also could set up an amout of money for you to spend each week on food etc.

Are your parents close enough to help you a bit?

As for budgeting, if the bills are paid by direct debit, they should all carry on smoothly without needing to do anything. If there is anything that simply cannot be paid that way, you could prepare some cheques to put in the post as bills come in. You and her really need to sit down and look together at exactly what she does so that you can understand what to do.

For day to day spending on food, etc, you could set up a series of envelopes with your cash for the week. If you need to split it further into money for different things, then you will just need a very big packet of envelopes :)

You could help out preparing meals and gradually get more involved until you are cooking complete meals all by yourself. You don't need to be able to prepare a huge variety of meals if you are willing to tolerate a very repetitive diet for 2 months.

things that can be put in the oven would be good they normally have instructions on the back telling you what temperature to set your oven to, and how long to put it in for.

you could label everything like i do in my kitchen!! With budgeting what you need to do is sit down with her to learn what pays what then write a calender for each day/week listing "pay gas" "pay water" "go shopping (list in draw)" etc. You can plan food menus and write a checklist for cooking to protect yourself from avoidable accidents.

Are your parents close enough to help you a bit?

Unfortunately not. My mum is in London and my dad is in Canterbury. :ph34r:

I can cook rather well, but common sense there seems to be lacking. Like I know that you shouldn't pick up a hot pan, but there seems to be some kind of disconnect between brain and action :lol:

I think my main worry is about getting things done, I usually require a lot of prompting. Handling money, paying bills, shopping, keeping on top of stuff in the house, organisation. Cooking meals for one after about 10 years of cooking for 2+

well you could make yourself up a calendar with what u need to do each day, and u cld even give it to someone on here who i am sure would be happy to prompt you!

Carry on cooking for 2 - just eat it over 2 days! :thumbs:

:thumbs: I do that pearl but for 4 as the recipes i have are for four!!!! This is why i have 2 large freezers and one is almost entirely full of frozen portions for meals ive already cooked!!! :rolleyes: I have to remind myself to stop cooking and going to reheating the frozen meals but i find it hard to change my routine from cooking to reheating and back again!!!! :wallbash:

this is when i am lucky to have such a limited diet! I have always just cooked for myself due to being too fussy to eat the same as anyone else!

I do that too Warren, but sometimes I double it and cook for 8! I have to stop when I run out of tubs.

I can cook rather well, but common sense there seems to be lacking. Like I know that you shouldn't pick up a hot pan, but there seems to be some kind of disconnect between brain and action

This may simply be a matter of practice.

Could you parents perhaps ring you each day while you are on your own? You could open your post while you are on the phone and if there are any bills you could either write a list of what to do when you have finished on the phone, or even deal with it there and then with them talking you through it. Cleaning the house isn't the most important thing. Cleaning the kitchen can be worked into your cooking routine, and if you didn't hoover for 2 months, the world wouldn't end.

:thumbs: I do that pearl but for 4 as the recipes i have are for four!!!! This is why i have 2 large freezers and one is almost entirely full of frozen portions for meals ive already cooked!!! :rolleyes: I have to remind myself to stop cooking and going to reheating the frozen meals but i find it hard to change my routine from cooking to reheating and back again!!!! :wallbash:

Well if you need any help eating them, just send some over to Chateau Pearl in a refrigerated van! :lol:

Can you set up your computer to give you reminders and prompts for things that need to be done?

What kind of things do you like to do regularly that don't need any reminders or prompting? If there are things you do regularly it might be good to start associating them with more mundane chores/jobs so they become habit by the time she is away.

At home we are big Battlestar Galactica fans. It's become part of the routine to put the washing on, watch two episodes by which time it is done and we can hang it out.

And Aspergers or not everyone benefits from giving a spare set out house keys to someone close by.