MelowMeldrew

A parent's right ?

Just how is that established in educational law for a disabled parent ? I have been refused communication support 4 times via a need and request to attend my son's school for reviews and such, the excuse ? "We are not obliged to support a parent to participate in their child's education, we are only obliged to support the child." So how, do I reject my son's social worker support, and WHO, do I use who will empower me to stop being refused participation in my son's school education ? since my son's allocated child worker says 'parents are nothing to do with us..." ! (she's first for the chop), I have managed to get support, but every time had to threaten legal action, I find this stressful and very time-consuming, as I have to row with officials every time....I thought a parents right to be involved in the child's education was written in law ? Who do I sue first ? Or do I abandon the state system and go it alone ?

It is my understanding that reasonable adjustments have got to be made by law now for anyone with a disability so that would include a disabled parent who wants to participate in their child's education but is unable to do so. I was contact the Disability Rights Commission if I were you and check this out.

Cat

Not knowing what the need is, I think it would hing on the term "Reasonable" in the Disability Discrimination Act.

If it was a resource that was available in the school then it would be reasonable to provide it for your use.

If it was something that was specific to your (The Parents) needs and would be an additional expense to the school and would be of no benefit to anyone else (at the time or at a later date IE a piece of equipment) then it may be considered unreasonable.

I think it would be a good idea to contact the Disability Rights People (CAB) to talk about your particular case

Edited by chris54

I think can go one better, a legal letter and threat of court action to the school and to the LEA, and to my son's social worker, I saw a solicitor today, the DDA clearly states they have abused my human rights, my son's, and broke the law. The DRC is dead BECAUSE the law enabled me, seems a few still are unaware of this law. The children's commissioner is also an option I gather, since non-enablement of the parent deprives the child of meaningful parent interaction in their education. In short, instituional discrimination exists to prevent a parent so doing.... The SEE HEAR program covered this actually this week. It's on iplayer, see what we get ! One woman deaf moved from England to Wales so she could have a baby, apprently she had no support where she was, so moved near her old mother who is still acting for her, she was too scared to have a baby where she was because of nil communicator support, madness.... I thought I was back in 1930 again....

Edited by MelowMeldrew

I think that you have the answers to your own question so I am not quite sure why you are asking them here :unsure:

By the way LEAs ceased to exit in Aprill 2006!

Cat

Edited by Cat

Schools are supposed to have a Disability Equality Scheme in place now, and it does cover enabling access for parents as well as children.

eg: if a parent is in a wheelchair, we have to make sure they can get in the building.

Schools are supposed to have a Disability Equality Scheme in place now, and it does cover enabling access for parents as well as children.

eg: if a parent is in a wheelchair, we have to make sure they can get in the building.

I'll get a wheelchair lol................. erm I was asking for information in South Wales regarding access to schools, and 6 out 8 had refused outright to offer access to deaf people, all 8 had supported wheelchair users.. the subtle difference here, is the system does not have to pay for wheelchair support... so long as the door is wide enough...

Edited by MelowMeldrew

I know I whinge about where I work, but I've realised that we are on the ball at least as far as deaf peeps are concerned. (Now AS is another matter :rolleyes:) . We are noted, I believe, amongst the deaf community, as a supportive university. I'm quite used to serving deaf students accompanied by an interpreter, all major meetings are signed and there is an army of note takers for deaf students.

Its like going back in time listening to your difficulties MM. I wouldnt have thought an interpreter was beyond the bounds of possibility. Certainly, if English wasnt your first language, they wouldnt dream of not having an interpreter available.

You already seem to be doing what you can legally - just hope you get somewhere with it. Maybe some media publicity wouldnt go amiss?

That was just one example - the school is supposed to consider the needs of any current (and future)parents (and children and staff). It was made clear that it should cover all disabilites.

It is not cheap for our school to make things wheelchair accessible, for various reasons.

What adjustments would you require?

Here's a link for DES (I presume it applies to Wales too):

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...hts/DG_10038105

First to say that it costs nothing to make a school accessible to wheelchair users is clearly wrong. My sons old school ( along with many others) has spent 10's of 100's of pounds in order to make all parts of what is an old building accessible, they have installed new disabled toilet for children and adult use and a wet room to help cater for any children that are not continent.

What is it exactly that you require that the schools are refusing to provide. As I said before is it something that would be considered "Reasonable" to be paid for out of the school budget.

There are cases where additional funding or resources are made available from various sources for school to provide for such things.Have you checked out this avenue.

From what you say 2 out of the 8 schools you have approached are happy to consider you requirements which from others Forum members prospective may be considered good compared to their own experiences..

Edited by chris54

I know I whinge about where I work, but I've realised that we are on the ball at least as far as deaf peeps are concerned. (Now AS is another matter :rolleyes:) . We are noted, I believe, amongst the deaf community, as a supportive university. I'm quite used to serving deaf students accompanied by an interpreter, all major meetings are signed and there is an army of note takers for deaf students.

Its like going back in time listening to your difficulties MM. I wouldnt have thought an interpreter was beyond the bounds of possibility. Certainly, if English wasnt your first language, they wouldnt dream of not having an interpreter available.

You already seem to be doing what you can legally - just hope you get somewhere with it. Maybe some media publicity wouldnt go amiss?

Interestingly the RNID has joined up with the Autistic groups, (no-one knows why !), so perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone here...