Sign in to follow this  
Spike P

ASD Provision in mainstream schools Eastbourne

I am letting off steam !!

First anyone tell me what is EBD Please. Second if my boy had recieved assaults as described by Kassan I would just get my lad out of school and take evideence of assaults to someone, local news, MP, anyone, it is totally outragous.

In our town there is no ASD facility attached to any mainstream school out of 7 senior schools in our town !! Aaargh...It is driving me nuts how much effort everyone makes just to get a bit off help for their children.

It took ages and ages to get a statement for our son who has ASD and then all the petty to and fro of this and that from the LEA who lets face it are only admin people, there not in education themselves!!

Now we have to get our wee man to a senior school next year and the nearest facility is 20 miles away...okay at least we have a facility that close !! But hey we will see if he gets a place first.

How can it be best practice or value for money when your LEA is willing to pay �15,000 a year for a taxi to take a child to school ? Why not give me the money and put it towards an independant school place that although not ASD specific, has a strong special needs department with lots of ASD knowledge, and of course no more that 15 in a class!! But no that does not make sense!!

However pious or pompous it sounds I really worry about the children who's parents are not as able as I to be my son's advocate and who end up in mainstream schools with no bloomin support and totally miserable...I have seen loads of examples of that.

There I am better now !! Thanks for listening!

Enraged from Eastbourne !! Spike

Our County does pay for some children with AS to go to an independent school such as you describe. They often agree on the basis that the parent transports the child themselves (the legality of this is questionable, but at least the children get into the school). Have you approached your LA about this school?

Our County does pay for some children with AS to go to an independent school such as you describe. They often agree on the basis that the parent transports the child themselves (the legality of this is questionable, but at least the children get into the school). Have you approached your LA about this school?

Thanks for your input...Yes I have had trillion conversation's with LEA but I have decided they are from the planet Zoorg and have little understanding of my proposals !! As an aside i have paid good money for advice from professional's on the prospect of winning an appeal for the independant we like, and it seems pretty slim, but hey we have put AS facility in mainstream school as first choice and independant second so watch this space !!!