Tally

What is wrong with people today?

By 8.30 this morning I have been shouted at THREE times!

I came out of work with a trolley of shopping. I "cleverly" reverse-parked last night so I could make a quick get away, but forgot about having to put shopping in the boot, but luckily the space next to my car was empty. I was about to take my trolley back when someone pulled into the space. I looked all around and there was no way out at all. The woman got out of her car and tried to run off before I could say anything, but I said, "how am I going to get my trolley out now?"

She said, "what do you mean?"

I said, "you've blocked me in, how am I going to get my trolley out without scratching your car?"

She said, "well, go the other way," and pointed to an even smaller gap between two cars, one of which was a Porsche, which I was definitely NOT going to risk scratching!

The trolley man had been watching but he came over and asked her to move her car back so I could get my trolley out but she just walked off. As she walked off I said to the trolley man, "that is the most ignorant thing I have ever seen," and the woman came back and started yelling at me and calling me a b**ch. Then she got her son out of the car saying it obviously wasn't safe to leave him if I was going to kick off and swear in front of him . . . which was rather bizarre since it looked to me like it was HER who kicked off and swore in front of the child, who I hadn't actually even noticed!

After they'd gone the trolley man helped me lift the trolley out, so I got my �1 back :)

Then there was a traffic jam and someone had stopped across the turning for my road, so I just had to stop and wait for the traffic to move. The man in the car behind me got out and starting yelling through the window, "what is your problem, you're causing a traffic jam here." I just pretended I didn't notice him and locked the door. I wasn't me causing a traffic jam, it was the person who had stopped across a turning who caused the problem. It was obvious what I was trying to do since I was indicating properly. Eventually there was a gap and the man went away when I started to move the car.

Then I got to my house and there was a parking space just beyond a turning. I stuck my indicator on and a man on the pavement started yelling and waving. At first I thought my car must be on fire for him to react like that, but I couldn't smell anything funny, and then I realised that he thought I was indicating to turn down a no-entry, and thought he would calm down once he realised what I was doing. I parked and he carried on walking, but when I got out of the car he turned around and came back and started shouting that my indication was unclear and said I shouldn't be allowed to drive because I am clearly incompetent, and I scare people by nearly running them over. I just let him rant because I didn't want to interrupt him, and he finally stopped after saying he was going to call the police. He asked for my name and address. I didn't say anything and he said, "I've got your number plate," and I just nodded and he started to walk away.

I got my shopping out of the boot, shut it and walked off. He came back AGAIN and said, "you haven't locked your car."

I said, "yes I have locked my car."

He said, "no you didn't. I just saw you shut the boot and walk off without locking it."

I said, "I locked the car before I opened the boot."

He said, "I didn't see you."

I said, "no, I locked it from this side, you were standing the other side, you wouldn't have seen, but I did lock it."

He said, "you haven't locked it."

I said, "I have locked it. Try the handle if you like, it is definitely locked."

He said, "well, you are going to look very silly," and when the door didn't open he said, "oh, well you shouldn't have locked it like that."

Am I seriously supposed to get out of my car and walk around it to lock it, just so that people who have just shouted at me can have the peace of mind of knowing it is locked?

The common factor in all of this is me, but did I really cause all of this myself? The woman was obviously antagonised by hearing me say she was ignorant, I didn't expect her to hear because she was walking away, but I can be more careful next time. But in the third incident the man actually came back to shout at me before I had even spoken to him at all. I could have appeased him but only by giving him confidential information about myself. I would have apologised for scaring him if he hadn't started by shouting, but I didn't feel like it afterwards.

From what you've said, Tally, I dont think you did anything wrong in any of the situations (apart from reverse parking when you needed the boot, but I'm just jellus of your ability there) :lol:

Shouty woman was prepared to leave her kid alone in her car then?

Traffic jam guy - idiot. He was probably expecting you to turn right into stationary traffic so he was not held up one nanosecond longer than necessary.

Shouty guy - the only thing you could possibly have done wrong was park too near a junction, which didnt seem to be his issue. If my rapidly declining memory serves me, closer than 15ft. Everything else he said was just scarily meddlesome & you did right not to give him personal info.

I have a rough rule of thumb that in an average week one will have to deal with three idiots. Like buses, I reckon all yours came along at once :lol:

OK, I have just looked out the window and I am around 3 foot from the junction :oops:

Nevertheless, in my road, we do park that close to the junction (often right up against it in fact), so if that was his problem, it is not just me!

No, I dont think he was bothered about that, he just misinterpreted why you were signalling & blamed you for it. The 15ft rule is for an ideal world, hardly anyone actually sticks to it in a world with too many cars/too few parking spaces.

Where we live some of the junctions have long sweeping corners and people park all the way round them.

"It everyone else that has the problems."

I think people turn into maniacs as soon as they enter a supermarket car park or hit a bit of traffic. The other guy was just a plain idiot!!!

The ones i REALLY hate are the inconsiderate morons who park in the supermarket car park "pick up/drop off" areas. I take photos of them and email them to the supermarket who say they write to the driver. It really annoys me as im usually waiting for a taxi who nowhas to block the whole carpark to pick me up or go right into a car park bay to pick me up which totally defeats the point of the pick up bay!!!!

A recent example:

Inconsiderate drivers

I was telling mr p about the woman blocking your trolley in Tally, & he said, why didnt Tally finish unloading, move her own car out of the parking space & get the trolley out that way?

Durrrr! I never thought of that, did you? :lol:

I think people turn into maniacs as soon as they enter a supermarket car park or hit a bit of traffic. The other guy was just a plain idiot!!!

The ones i REALLY hate are the inconsiderate morons who park in the supermarket car park "pick up/drop off" areas. I take photos of them and email them to the supermarket who say they write to the driver. It really annoys me as im usually waiting for a taxi who nowhas to block the whole car park to pick me up or go right into a car park bay to pick me up which totally defeats the point of the pick up bay!!!!

A recent example:

Inconsiderate drivers

A few christmases ago, 2 days before I was in a supermarket car pare just pulled into a parent bay, yes I had some kiddywinks with me , just getting out of car when this bloke parked his car across my car, recons i had pinch his place. Fact he did not have any kids in car didnt seem to bother him anyway he threatened me. I just walked away with kids.

But I got his number and reported it to the police.Made a statement and every thing. Got a phone call next day ,Christmas eve, Police been to see him gave him warning and he asked them to pass on his apologies.