Mumble

What does this mean?

I'm hoping someone can help me with a little literal to non-literal translation because my mind's going over and over the same thing and I can't find an answer despite looking in my Asperger dictionary and a quick trawl of the net.

My consultant today told me that he would be 'turning over some stones' with me. Now I'm pretty sure this isn't literal, but what does it actually mean/refer to, what will happen and what do I have to do? :unsure:

Help, 'cause my mind's on over-active imagination overdrive :tearful:

Hi Mumble

If someone said that to me I would think that he meant looking under the surface to see what lies underneath. So for example if you were going to your doctor with a pain in your stomach he would mean looking for something that wasn't obvious as a cause. Does that make sense?!!!!!! I'm not sure myself now!!

But it is a bit of an unusual one.

Hopefully someone else with have some clues

Stella xx

I would take it to mean that he would be looking for things that may be hidden away.

If you are looking in rock pools, you have to turn over the rocks to find the creatures hidden under them. Until you do this, it looks like there aren't any in the pool - all calm at first glance, but lots going on when you look more closely.

It would partly depend if this was a medical probelm or a psychological type one. It would make more sense if it was the latter - so maybe a person appears to be fine and coping, but with a a bit of searching the consultant would find that is not the case. I am sure a lot of us recognise this description - often described as looking like a swan. Above water, you see the swan gliding effortlessly across the water, but under the water you see the frantic paddling of it's feet!

Whatever, it would be good to remind the consultant that you do not understand idioms, and that he needs to be very clear in what he is saying. We all find it hard to take in what doctors say, particularly when we are anxious. You could ask if you could tape what he says (so you can listen to it again later), take notes or take someone else with you. It is OK to ring the consultant's secretary if you are worried, and ask her to find out what he meant. I often remember things I wanted to ask once I am back home.

Thanks everyone, that's helpful :)

It would partly depend if this was a medical probelm or a psychological type one. It would make more sense if it was the latter - so maybe a person appears to be fine and coping, but with a a bit of searching the consultant would find that is not the case. I am sure a lot of us recognise this description - often described as looking like a swan. Above water, you see the swan gliding effortlessly across the water, but under the water you see the frantic paddling of it's feet!

Whatever, it would be good to remind the consultant that you do not understand idioms, and that he needs to be very clear in what he is saying. We all find it hard to take in what doctors say, particularly when we are anxious. You could ask if you could tape what he says (so you can listen to it again later), take notes or take someone else with you. It is OK to ring the consultant's secretary if you are worried, and ask her to find out what he meant. I often remember things I wanted to ask once I am back home.

It's medical, but I think still makes sense. I'll remind the consultant about non-literal language issues (I'm trying to find something really short and simple to give him because he admitted yesterday I'm the first patient he's had with AS and he doesn't know much about it) and I'll also email my nurse who came with me as it will reassure me and help her to understand the issues.