Sign in to follow this  
zaman

Boys trousers

Hi I am after some trousers that are sensory-friendly, ie in a soft non scratchy fabric, that don't have buttons in the waist. He takes about a size 10-11 as he is tall. Has anyone seen any out there recently? (He wears a tatty pair of track suit bottoms that I would love to bin).

Thanks

Have you had a look at the french catalogue Vertbaudet? A lot of their trousers have elasticated waists and are a pretty friendly fabric?

Not sure about the button thing but I took my son to John Lewis for school trousers - they have lots of different styles & fabrics in their school uniform department. He walked around rubbing the trousers & then pronounced which ones worked for him.

Works for him, it works for me as far as I'm concerned ;)

Got to get some new school trousers for son. Problem we have is finding ones long enough with small waist. And of course they have to feel right, which rules out most that have adjustable waist.

we gave up with the adjustable waists in the end (for skirts and trousers for girls) they didn't go small enough! the 6 year old girl was wearing age 18 month clothes in skirts. obviously this wasn't an option for school uniform so in the end we chose trousers which were completely flat-waisted and put a load of tucks in to shrink the waist.

if a button is a sensory problem (rather than not being able to do it up) put a thin, wide band of elastic inside the button area. this way he'll be able to pull on the trousers, then not feel the button. - added bonus if he forgets to do them up it doesn't matter so much either!

alternatively for the hard core, simply remove the button and put it a small square of velcro in it making it slightly looser than where the button would have been. then you would be relying on elastic for holding the trousers up, but can get ones that look much smarter.

Oh how I sympathise. My son has had the same torn shorts on (day and night) for months. He used to wear Matalan tracksuit type trousers but I don't know if they go up to age 11, we also used to get stuff from Boden Mini which he could tolerate.

Good luck.

Anna

Edited by Anna Van Der Post