Sign in to follow this  
pookie170

An apology for Badders......(Sorry, BD!)

Well....

Did any of you hear about Oliver Postgate? He died yesterday.... :tearful:

There should have been a day of national mourning, for this was the man that gave us Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine, The Clangers and numerous other children's characters to boot.

Apparently, Bagpuss was voted as the nations' favourite kid's tv character of all time! (Who votes in these things though? No-one asked me....did any of you vote on this???)

Quite right too, I LOVED Bagpuss, and its as fab to watch now as it was when I was wee, which is soooo rare......I revisited the animated film, 'The Water Babies' a few years ago, it had stood out in my memory as one of the best things I had watched as a kid, so I flicked on the tellybox with gleeful anticipation! And I wish I hadn't, as it did not stand up to the passage of time well at all......

Anyway, I digress.....

I feel moved to make a full, frank and public apology to Baddad, for having thought him to be a few cards short of a deck.

Why?

Well,boys and girls, are you sitting comfortably?

Then we'll begin.....

A long, long time ago, in a sunny vale called Krism, lived lots of funny people in a Batcave. :bat: They were all terribly nice, and had funny names like Pookie and Nellie and Bid and Elefan and Baddad.

The batcave people liked to have lots of fun, but they also liked to have chats about many different things, which was nice.

Then one day, they chatted about children's telly programmes.

Oh, boys and girls, they had such fun, sharing fond memories of characters and programmes and puppets!

So many of them could recall the same things, as they were all very, very old and crumbly.

Then Baddad, slightly crumblier than the rest, said,

'What about the Pingwins? They were great, eh?'

And all the rest said :huh:

They had not heard of these Pingwins, and Baddad told them marvellous tales of wooly birds with pails of milk who did fall down a lot.

And the others chuckled worriedly, and patted Badders on the head and said 'Yes, BD...ahem...' and then they drew away lest the madness be catching......

Bads, I did not believe you- but today I stand corrected and ashamed, for Oliver Postgate was also the creator of

The Pingwings!!!!

And your recollections were, if you'll pardon the pun, a little wooly, so I found this and will post it here for you to reminisce over!

(and actually, it looks fab!!)

http://www.dragons-friendly-society.co.uk/pingdraft.htm

I do hope it works, I chortled so hard when I remembered the Pingwin discussion! Had to find it for you!

Oliver Postgate, we salute you! :notworthy:

Edited by pookie170

Ahhh... pingwings...

I actually posted this a while back, so my reputation as an authority on all things black, white, knitted and animated no longer came under scrutiny:

The Evidence

One point, though: do not confuse excellent recall for a sign of 'crumbliness' - I was actually little more than a foetus when this series was running...

Talking of which, as a po' po' urchin my reading material as a child came mostly from jumble sales, so i read loads of stuff that nobody else can remember...

I had a set of pre-war books called 'Mr & Mrs Noah' (I think), and loads of early eagle annuals featuring characters like Lettice Leef; Davey Dean (he's not so green) and a fat Detective called Harris Tweed...

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I was watching an episode of Spaced on DVD (ep 4 series one) and there was a bit where Mike got shot with a paintball and he said 'I'm tired, Tim'... Now, Simon Pegg, who writes spaced and plays Tim, is a huge comic book fan, and there were a couple of pre-war comic tramp characters called 'Weary Willy & Tired Tim', so was this an in joke? If there are any really spoddy spaced fans out there (it has a similar cult following to Star Trek, I'm told) perhaps they could enlighten me! :lol:

Oh - Weary Willy and Tired Tim were very much like two other characters called 'Mutt and Jeff'... so if anyone ever wondered where the c0ck-a-knee rhyming slang for 'deaf' came from, Nah ya know! ;)

:D

Oh PS: RIP Mr Postgate, and thank you :tearful:

And PPS: If that's the same website i found my clip on they had a knitting pattern for making pingwings there. Sadly i can't knit :( I'd love a knitted pingwing :whistle:

Edited by baddad

To be fair, from reading that, you would only have seen it if you lived in the south East, and were at least 4yrs old ( BD!:whistle: ) in 1961/2! (oh and rich enough to own a TV!!! :lol: )

Still, it obviously made an impression on one little boy ;)

A x

PS...RIP Oliver and many thanks for The Clangers and Bagpuss >:D<<'>

To be fair, from reading that, you would only have seen it if you lived in the south East, and were at least 4yrs old ( BD!:whistle: ) in 1961/2! (oh and rich enough to own a TV!!! :lol: )

Still, it obviously made an impression on one little boy ;)

A x

PS...RIP Oliver and many thanks for The Clangers and Bagpuss >:D<<'>

Nope - I was younger than that, HONEST INJUN (but maybe I saw re-runs?) and the TV set was about 6ft x 3ft with a screen the size of a postage stamp and my dad got it in leiu of payment for something or other...

So what about Bleep and Booster? anyone remember them?

:D

And PPS: If that's the same website i found my clip on they had a knitting pattern for making pingwings there. Sadly i can't knit :( I'd love a knitted pingwing :whistle:

Awwww, the Pingwings are so sweeeet (I'm WAY too young to remeber them, of course :whistle:)

I was a huge fan of Bagpuss, and the Clangers was simply the best telly programme ever :thumbs:

They dont make 'em like that any more :(

Now, where are my knitting needles .................

Look out BD , you're about to get 500 knitted Pingwings for Christmas. :o:D

(but not one from me - I was never very ept at knitting either :rolleyes: .)

Now I'll bow out of this discussion - as usual - what a trial it is to have grown up without UK television! I'll leave you to your fond reminiscences. :)

K x

Look out BD , you're about to get 500 knitted Pingwings for Christmas. :o:D

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

Although not from me I hasten to add.... last time I tried to knit something was a baby jumper for when Bill was born and it ended up about 2 foot wide! I have no idea why.

Flora :D