chris54

Getting to know you.(them)

There was a bit on here before about not knowing the neighbours.

We been here for 5 months now and still only know (can remember) the names of people next door, each side.

When it came to Christmas card time, we live in a close of 14 houses, we address cards to house number, inside put our names and house number, well it is working as cards back have names and number. I'm writing them all down so I don't forget, which I'm good at. Now when I talk to the neighbours I will at least have a fighting chance of remembering their names.

It turns out that although these are all big family houses in this close most of the people are older couples on their own, no children. Some retired, and as far as we know only one other with school aged children,II+15ish, which we never see apart from them going to and from school. So it is very quiet, a bit to quiet at times really. Everybody goes every where by car. Most have two cars, His and Hers.

Next door (retired) have two identical cars both less than18 month old that get use for less than a couple of hours a week and then they will both go out in the same car :wacko: Got more money than sense, how the other half live.

Some of my neighbours sent cards like that the first Christmas I lived here. I wasn't expecting people to be that friendly, so it was a nice surprise.

Often when I am hanging out my washing I see my neighbours outside with their children and the couple beyond that who are keen on gardening. I don't really know my neighbours the other side even though they have four children and I would have thought they would like to play outside. The man beyond that keeps himself very much to himself, though I have spoken to him a few times. And one beyond that there is a couple with two cats. When I had a week off in the summer I spent a lot of time sitting in the garden reading and I spoke to the lady a bit while she was supervising her cats on their first visits outdoors. She seems nice but I never got her name.

I have managed to fill a whole house with my junk. I don't know how I will ever fit it into a smaller house.

I know the one side as the lady used to be my lads dinner lady n kinda kept an extra eye on him for me...the other side is a rented house so they change more often than I eat a hot dinner n are not always the nicest of people. I do know the lady across the road but thats cos she had portraits done by me n my dp lol.

We have lived in our current house for five years and we have now reached the level of nodding to one another! A short, cursory business like nod. I am awful at face recognoition which doesn't help so I have probably inadvertently shunned many a neighbour over the years. I am sure that the neighbours think I am mad and an alcoholic. My son cannot abide the taste of tap water (chlorine) so I have to collect his water twice weekly from a private spring nearly two houtrs away (manys the time I have been surrounded by people just staring as I struggle to fill bottles in the pouring rain). When I come back all my neighbours see is a load of wine carriers coming in and out of the house (36 bottles each time!) and because they are so heavy and I am relatively slight I sort of sway as I carry them in! Becasue my son cannot cope with smells we often have the front door open even in the night and in the middle of the winter too. My neighbours have caught me in Asda (on my own) smelling all the washing up liquid - trying to find one my son might tolerate. I have even been seen opening duvets and stroking them and smelling them to try and find one my lad might accept. I am also an insomniac (max 2hrs a night) so I am quite frankly pretty stupid in my own right. So my neighbours think I'm mad and I can't explain things to them because my son understandably does not think it is anyone else's business what we do or why we do it. My son also wears the same (unwashed for years) clothes and even in mid winter will only wear a torn, worn t-shirt and shorts with broken sandles so I am sure they think he suffers from neglect!

I have recently decided to stop fighting the mad label and quite enjoy playing up to it now!

Anna

I think the card idea is great Chris :thumbs:

So it is very quiet, a bit to quiet at times really

Too quiet? Sorry, does not compute. Fancy a house swap? You could listen to the two louts we have next door effing & jeffing to relieve the silence :lol: