Sign in to follow this  
pookie170

PSRG Parental additional comments

Hey all,

some of you might remember giving me some fabby advice regarding the viewing of potential secondary placements for my son. I've decided to try my hardest to get him placed at the resi school as the amount of attention they give to working on the pupils' personal/social skills is great.....

What got me, though, was how we have to go about things in Scotland. Cal's been assigned another educational psychologist, who is the one spearheading the report being presented to the Pupil Support Referral Group. She hasn't even observed him- she promised to do so twice in the space of a few months but didn't even make it once-is it me, or is that just ridiculous?? (She's actually quite nice, though she has a rather unnerving, penetrating stare!! :hypno: ) Cal's Depute Head is also contributing but she cannot make recommendations regarding future placement (which sucks, as she's in agreement with my decision!) though she has conveyed Cal's strengths, needs and difficulties well.

The whole schemozzle gets stapled together and sent to the abovementioned PSRG, who deliberate and decide whether a local school can meet Cal's needs or not (under no illusions here, I just know we'll be going for an appeal!) but what really infuriated me is that I, as Cal's parent, will be the very last person to be informed of the decision (thus cutting into the time available to put together appeal info-crafty,no??) and will not find out what the decision is until April/May!!! :blink:

Why?? I know this Referral Group will have lots of cases to look at, (though frankly, they should be well acquainted with Cal by now!! :rolleyes: ) but I feel this is taking the biscuit, somewhat.

All I get to do is write a short report on what I feel Cal needs and why, I may specify which school I'd like him to attend (and I have indeed availed myself of this opportunity!) but I cannot include professional backing at this stage.

How daft is that?? Why the heck not?

I'm feeling a bit aggravated, it all seems far too geared towards the LEA- WHY are complete strangers entitled to make decision about my son? They've got it so horribly wrong several times already, so what qualifies them to possibly do it again? Why is he not entitled to have a representative present at the meeting to protect his best interests??Why am I not allowed to be a part of the process, other than a couple of sides of A4 paper?

Grump, grump, grump....I'm feeling very aggrieved about the whole thing and rather out of sorts, I must say!

Has anyone else had experience of this PSRG silliness in Scotland?

Think I might go pour a Baileys, I feel I deserve one!! :wine:

Esther x

Edited by pookie170