Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Panto

Hi, I love panto and it is a fantastic christmas memory for me......

Well I have booked for me and ds to go on Tuesday....I have got seats by the door so we can get out if he needs to and have a visit to the empty theatre arranged for tomorrow so he can see his seat and get used to the acustics,I am just in a panic that I am being selfish and that he will hate it and I do not want to put him through that but also do not want to assume ds won't cope with it as he may well enjoy it.......

We have talked about it but he does not really understand, If he does not go he will know no different and will not feel he has missed anything, but I want him to have the chance to have a new and maybe exciting experience. Is this selfish of me? how have any of your little ones managed at a theatre?

I am fully prepared to leave after two mins, but think that I will have at least given him the option to like of hate it rather than decide for him.

Any thoughts?????

Hi, I love panto and it is a fantastic christmas memory for me......

Well I have booked for me and ds to go on Tuesday....I have got seats by the door so we can get out if he needs to and have a visit to the empty theatre arranged for tomorrow so he can see his seat and get used to the acustics,I am just in a panic that I am being selfish and that he will hate it and I do not want to put him through that but also do not want to assume ds won't cope with it as he may well enjoy it.......

We have talked about it but he does not really understand, If he does not go he will know no different and will not feel he has missed anything, but I want him to have the chance to have a new and maybe exciting experience. Is this selfish of me? how have any of your little ones managed at a theatre?

I am fully prepared to leave after two mins, but think that I will have at least given him the option to like of hate it rather than decide for him.

Any thoughts?????

I have posted recently on the same subject. I had all the same fears as you but, as it turned out, DS had a fantastic time. He was a bit fidgety towards the interval and near the end of the show, but it was nearly 3 hours, so I thought he did really well :clap:

My view is that you have to give them the opportunity to have these experiences, otherwise how will you know whether he can do it, and also how will he ever learn how to cope with them? For what it's worth I think you're doing the right thing. Like you, I was prepared to be leaving after a couple of minutes but I'm so glad we took him as we left the theatre with a huge feeling of pride :thumbs:

Hope you have a fabby time and no, you're certainly not being selfish

>:D<<'>

I second that!

My Cal coped really well this year with panto, it was his little brother who fidgeted and moaned!

There were a couple of issues with sound levels, right enough....or possibly more to do with pitch, I suspect, but if thats a bigissue for your littley, you could take ear plugs? Not necessarily to block sound, you can get some that filter out certain pitches and suchlike though......

I hope he enjoys it, and that you do too.

You're not selfish at all! Have fun!

i dont think you being selfish at all. i think our children should be given the chance to take part and enjoy different experiences. i always take the end seats near the doors aswell. one thing i did with my daughter when she was little was to give her a little torch that she could hold if she was worried about the dark in the cinema or the theatre. my son was more concerned about the noise level so had some earphones he could put on to block the loudness out if he was uncomfortable.

i hope your and your son have a whale of a time and enjoy the experience together.

Hi

When it comes to my son, my motto is 'if I don't try, I don't know'. You're not being selfish at all - you're giving him the chance to see if he likes it or not and as you've already said, you've preparing him for the panto and are prepared to leave quickly if it doesn't work out.

Hope you both enjoy it.

Caroline

i think that you are doing the right thing, you will never know unless you try.

Hi, my son has being going to the panto since he was 4 (hes 9 now). He absolutely loves them. He does get a bit fidgety but so do most of the children.

You never know until you try and if he doesn't like it then you have got a quick exit. Hope it goes well.

Edited by sandyn