Sign in to follow this  
bikemad

&(*^%&$R%^�$%^^&&**

Had an appointment at cahms today...was glad as thought id be able to have a word bout few things...took my diary I keep off my ds. Get there he has a 3 page letter off school bout how bad my lad is n how it would be good to get a diagnoses asap to get him more help in school n going into detail of incidents etc.....the bloke hadnt even read it!!!! He asked how the melatonin was n how ds had been n then cos ds was hypo in their he said mmmmm might consider meds in day for him for get this adhd!!!!! At the last appointment he dismissed the adhd as smalltime n told me he was sending ds for ados tests but now he is saying yes he wil get round to sending my lad for the ados test but we need to look at the adhd n then ushered us out n said ok il see you in 6 weeks!!!!! It took me longer to park than it did in the appointment!!!!

Every flamming appoontment he seems to changed what it is ds has one minute ds has mild aspergers n bad adhd then the next appointment ds has bad aspergers n mild adhd!!!! God I wish he would decide n do something...he told me he was putting my lad forward for ados tests n he had not even done it n told me he hates meds for adhd but now wants to consider them for ds. And how the hell can you class 3 minutes in an office as an appointment!!?? Grgh!!!!! :wallbash:

went through it for years bikemad until I asked for a second opinion, that had everybody jumping up and down, had a diagnosis in a couple of months, you can ask to be referred through your GP, they cant refuse its your right. Enid

I might do that Enid...my lad hates the bloke so it is a battle for ages just to get him there then you got the idiot to deal with after that. What did you say when you asked for a second opinion.....id love to say the bloke is useless but obviously I cant lol.

The bloke dont seem to even remember the last appointment or what was said...tempted to bring a camcorder lol.

I asked my GP to refer me for a second opinion, you dont need to give a reason, if you are asked just say, you feel like you are getting nowhere, take notes when you have a meeting and refer to them, that will make him sit up!I did feel embarassed at first as the CAHMS consultant was really shocked and phoned me at home! but soo glad I did. Enid

Are they deliberatley this incompetant just to avoid having to actually do something??? Id love to sit in on thier management meetings and hear what they say things like :" oh this month only ten dx's as we cant fund any more"

It really cant be that hard to make a DX when hes got the information in front of him, even if its a provisional one for later change.

I just get the impression they are being slow for some ulterier motive.

Ive thought that to be honest it is as if they have filled their qouta so cant dx anyone else!!!

Ive got an appointment with the cdtm(think that what they called)in a couple of weeks n im going to bring it up then n an appointment with cahms the week after n if it is the same then im going back to the doc who referred my ds in the beginning n ask for a 2nd opinion cos it is getting ridiculous...I began asking for help when my ds was 3 for gods sake he is 9 now!!!!

that is pretty pathetic to take 6 years!! Sure kids change but even if they had one DX and evolved the dx as he grew up at least he would get some proper help!!! Doctors are capable of changing dx's at will in the future!!!!!

Seems the authorities are failing whole groups of children.

My feelings exactly. When he was little I got all the usual 'o have you bonded, do you need parenting classes' etc..they just didn't want to accept he needed help. Age 4 he had an iep at school n did all thru infants but the juniors didn't do one but now they want to and they want him to see a behavior therapist..it makes you just want to scream!!!

I'd definately ask for a second opinion. When my eldest was first referred for ADHD assessment, we saw a young doctor who was in the process of doing her rotations just after qualifying. She had NO experience at all and quite frankly came up with the biggest load of garbage I'd ever heard. We saw her twice, after which I asked her to make sure we were referred at our next appointment to someone who actually knew what they were talking about. My OH was horrified and said that I was 'pulling rank' because I told her that in 10 years of teaching (at the time - 20 now!!) I had more experience of what was 'normal' behaviours in children then she did. But it worked - next appointment we saw the consultant and began to make progress. ALWAYS ask for a second opinion/referral - it makes people jump up and down and to be honest, most people don't even know that they're entitled to do it.

Good luck! For what it's worth - the bloke sounds awful and I'd have wanted to slap him into the middle of next week!!! :wallbash:

Edited by Michele17

Trust me it took all my power to not do that I just wanted to slap him to kingdom come!!!!! He has such an attitude, even the head of my lads school has commented on him n how bad he is!!! Im going to have to ask for another opinion I think cos the day to day life with ds is just getting harder n harder n im getting nowere fast at the mo with cahms.

u need to put in a complaint and take it further like i did we see someone else and got reece diagnosed that day.......

they cudnt do enough for us once i sent in the complaint

pm me if u want any info

love donna xxxxxxxx keep fighting xxxxxxxxx