Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Don't know what to do.....

Hi

I requested a change of school for ds just before christmas, Education officer agreed that if they can meet ds needs he will amend statement to name new school. New school have been sent ds statement etc but due to the christmas break I am yet to hear from them.

My problem is that I am not sending ds back to current school tomorrow. The reason for wanting to change school is down to constant problems with the way they are implementing statement,not communicating change etc etc and although ds seems to cope with this at school it has been having a huge impact on his behaviour at home.

I am not sure if I should write a note to school saying I am in the process of changing schools and due to the nature of his condition will he will not be returning so I can ensure he is prepared for the change.

or do I say nothing and just keep him off?

I know it will be unathourised absence either way.

any sugesstions?

There's a registration category which is something like 'being educated off the school site', sometimes used for flexi-schooled children ( in part-time attendance for some reason, like health or behaviour problems). I wouldn't just not send him in without an explanation. If your Education Officer is friendly, it might be worth asking advice. Call me cynical, but I suspect the main reason LAs are so hot on attendance issues is because they have targets to meet, not because they are worried about a child's education as such. If the LA have a box ticked, they may well be happy.

Hi coolblue

Education officer said " if your child is not fit for school then you do not have to send him" He was unable to make further comment as he reminded me that legally my son has to go to school! He has been very kind and understanding but when I asked him what I should do he remained firm that it was his job to inform me ds legally had to be at school and educational welfare would become involved if it was prolonged absence even though he understood my reasons

You could just say he has flu for the first few days.

The school will probably soon find out that another school has been approached anyway - either from the LA or on the grape-vine (often HTs know each other).

I would probably call the Education Officer and ask his advice - he may deal with the school for you.

EOTAS (education other than at school) means that he is being educated elsewhere, which he is not (eg: he is not home ed'd or at a PRU).

I would defo discuss your decision to keep your son at home with the Educational officer, but I would put it all in a letter to your SEN Department of the reasons your son is not attending school at presant and explain that as soon as an apropriate school has been identified that meets his SEN he will return, do not deregister at this point.

I then would ring in everyday to notify of the school that your son is absent and you have notified the sen department and leave it as condifential.

If his absences are due to difficulties around his SENs then he has exceptional circumstances and should be granted authorised absent.

Good Luck with the new school.

JsMum

It must be difficult for you and your son to be in this limbo. Hopefully you'll get confirmation from the new school very soon that they can accept your son. Keep bugging the LA and the school until they tell you something definite.

K x