Sign in to follow this  
gemgems77

happy to be here!

our story ! malachy is our second child of three age 5 ,he was a very difficult toddler and had delayed speach but we put it to just terriable 2s and new baby untill he went to nursery ,he was very anti social with the other children and the teachers ,and had many unexplained tantrums.so they wanted him assesed we saw a peadatrician who diognoised him with autism since then we saw a psycologist who said he hasnt because he can have a cheeky side which he can have, i am a very confused mum sometimes it seems like i have two children in one ex : he loves rotine cant take him into crowded places cant cope ,still ati social at school has to have a black towle obbsesed with thomas ,only ware thomas pants. at times hates us talking when we have peolple round says to loud etc etc... other times hes playing with my other son dressing up ,happy to be around people and like a normal child ,autism and adhd run in family on boath sides ,i think he has asd on the lower spectum as he has symptoms but not all the time got any ideas !! its all i seem to think about at mo has he hasnt he ......

Much of what you say could indicate ASD. As far a being cheeky, my 8 year old son's old teacher, when we moved said "He would miss his sense of humor". At that time our son had only just been diagnosed with ASD, that was about 8 months ago.

Ours hates noise, crowds, etc but when in a protected environment with one or two other children can be the noisiest child going.

For psychologist to pick out one thing and say "Cant be ASD because---" in my opinion is wrong.

By the way when you say "lower spectrum" I take it you mean Less affected-- High functioning.

hi we have this with blaine?? but the proffesionals all keep tellin us that he has no asd whatsoever as u cant turn it on and off????? what happens is when we go to app ect he is like an angel and will sit nicely,,when we get out of there it's back to normal????? he has sensory issues though which they do now agree after about 4 years of me pushin to look into it,,,,,what they have said is because normally people with asd can have sensory issues also...this is only what shows through with blaine,ie-- noise,,crowds,,and anti social behaviours,,,i dont know what to think anymore??? they sort of told me that because i suffer with depression it is starting to become almost an obsession of mine????? my answer to that was no way i have fought for all these years and nobody would believe me till now,,,,they are tellin me that i need therapy cos im almost makin it worse and that i should be back on meds????? my answer to that was well me takin medication isnt goin to take his sensory problems away isit?,,,i did explain that i feel the way i do as blaines problems are worse ova the last year and we wasnt havin any support from anywhere,,that's why i was gettin ill!!!! now they are all jumpin through hoops to help us????? they said they think im having a slight breakdown?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

By the way when you say "lower spectrum" I take it you mean Less affected-- High functioning.

HFA isn't 'less affected' than LFA, but affected in different ways. I'm not 'less autistic' being High Functioning, but I don't have additional complications. The distinction between LFA and HFA is based on a crude measure of IQ, where average or above is considered HFA/AS. It's quite misleading to suggest that an individual with HFA has less 'autism' and can lead to some difficult public perceptions and you run the risk of verging on the 'everyone does that' territory where needs can be distorted/ignored.

HFA isn't 'less affected' than LFA, but affected in different ways. I'm not 'less autistic' being High Functioning, but I don't have additional complications. The distinction between LFA and HFA is based on a crude measure of IQ, where average or above is considered HFA/AS. It's quite misleading to suggest that an individual with HFA has less 'autism' and can lead to some difficult public perceptions and you run the risk of verging on the 'everyone does that' territory where needs can be distorted/ignored.

Yes, sorry as soon as I had posted that I realised I had worded it wrong but did not have the time to edit it right there and then.

hi we have this with blaine?? but the proffesionals all keep tellin us that he has no asd whatsoever as u cant turn it on and off????? what happens is when we go to app ect he is like an angel and will sit nicely,,when we get out of there it's back to normal????? he has sensory issues though which they do now agree after about 4 years of me pushin to look into it,,,,,what they have said is because normally people with asd can have sensory issues also...this is only what shows through with blaine,ie-- noise,,crowds,,and anti social behaviours,,,i dont know what to think anymore??? they sort of told me that because i suffer with depression it is starting to become almost an obsession of mine????? my answer to that was no way i have fought for all these years and nobody would believe me till now,,,,they are tellin me that i need therapy cos im almost makin it worse and that i should be back on meds????? my answer to that was well me takin medication isnt goin to take his sensory problems away isit?,,,i did explain that i feel the way i do as blaines problems are worse ova the last year and we wasnt havin any support from anywhere,,that's why i was gettin ill!!!! now they are all jumpin through hoops to help us????? they said they think im having a slight breakdown?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????