MainMan

Hello

Hello

I've just registered and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Gerry and father to two sons and a daughter. One of my boys (currently aged 11) was diagnosed with AS last Autumn. I live in Ireland while the children have been living in Scotland with their mother since the middle of 2007 (we separated in 2003). I spend a week per month with the children in their mum's house. This has been working reasonably well in the circumstances but certainly in the light of an Aspergers diagnosis we are discussing the disruption this arrangement may be having with routines and stuff.

I'd be interested hearing other separated parents take on this...

Our son was told about his diagnosis just before Christmas and was extremely positive about it - wanting to tell the whole world about it. Since he's been back to school this month, he has struggled with homework and school work and disruptive behaviour.

On a few posts I've read around these forums, people talk about "statement-ing" or being "statemented".

What is that all about?

Bye for now

Hi Gerry and welcome to the forum.

I am an adult with AS.

People with AS thrive on routine. Your son might see your visits as a disruption to his normal weekly routine, or he may see them as part of his normal monthly routine. Does he seem to cope well with your visits? If there are problems you might be able to resolve them by making sure you keep to the same routine as he has when you are not around. A lot of people with AS find visual timetables useful to structure their day. It could also help you to keep track of his normal routine.

A Statement is a legal document which details what special support a pupil with special needs receives. Some children with special needs can be supported without one, but not always. If you think your son needs more support in school, it might be worth looking into.

Hi and welcome

As Tally said you may well be part of your sons routine.

My son thrives on routine and struggles when it changes, if your son copes well with your visits that is fantastic, my only advice would be if for any reason that routine needs to change and you need to change or cancel a visit try to make sure your son is fully prepared and understands in advance where possible. We use a visual timetable at home to show any change to his routine and this greatly helps.

Welcome!

Not sure, but I don't think they have Statements in Scotland/Ireland? I think the system is a bit different, but happy to be corrected :)

Bid :)

hi gerry

in scotland they have a new act called additional support for learning, this incorporates a coordinated support plan, which you can ask the school if your son has one and if not why he has not.

not all those with aspergers get one but its a legal document that states how they will support your son at school.

your son should have an educational psychologist, they are not always great, but they may be able to help you and your wife.

i am in scotland where abouts are your familiy from.

hope this is ok if you ned any further info just let me know. good luck

cheers

tess

Hello

I've just registered and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Gerry and father to two sons and a daughter. One of my boys (currently aged 11) was diagnosed with AS last Autumn. I live in Ireland while the children have been living in Scotland with their mother since the middle of 2007 (we separated in 2003). I spend a week per month with the children in their mum's house. This has been working reasonably well in the circumstances but certainly in the light of an Aspergers diagnosis we are discussing the disruption this arrangement may be having with routines and stuff.

I'd be interested hearing other separated parents take on this...

Our son was told about his diagnosis just before Christmas and was extremely positive about it - wanting to tell the whole world about it. Since he's been back to school this month, he has struggled with homework and school work and disruptive behaviour.

On a few posts I've read around these forums, people talk about "statement-ing" or being "statemented".

What is that all about?

Bye for now

Thanks for the welcome messages

hi gerry

in scotland they have a new act called additional support for learning, this incorporates a coordinated support plan, which you can ask the school if your son has one and if not why he has not.

not all those with aspergers get one but its a legal document that states how they will support your son at school.

your son should have an educational psychologist, they are not always great, but they may be able to help you and your wife.

i am in scotland where abouts are your familiy from.

hope this is ok if you ned any further info just let me know. good luck

cheers

tess

Yes Tess, I had suspected that Scotland would be different. I'll be able to attend a review meeting in the school next week with deputy head, class teacher, speech and language therapist, occupational therapist and learning support assistant. I'm not sure if there is an educational psychologist directly involved yet, but I'll know more thereafter.

The children live in Edinburgh.

Re: visual timetables, we have cottoned on to the value of these for our son - his mum has a weekly planner whiteboard in operation for the whole family but I'd better try a year planner type of calendar so that my monthly visits can be clearly signposted.

Bye for now