Sign in to follow this  
ryansmum2

Please HELP with Assessment Letter ...

hi all,

please can you help me - im trying to write my 1st letter to the LEA asking for an Assessment,

i have filled in - what the problems are / how they effect him etc.

but now im stuck with what i need to write to explain ''Why I feel the school can't support my DS ?''

hes had an IEP and been on SA for the past 4 years and SA+ for the past 2 years - but still is so, so behind all the other children in his class.

i dont know if anyone can help ?

if you can id be ever so grateful

many thanks mel xx

Hi,

I found this very difficult to do too! I am in the middle of bed time routine now but will pm you later with what I put so it might give you some ideas. can not promice it will be tonight but definatley by tomorrow

Lin

Hi,

I found this very difficult to do too! I am in the middle of bed time routine now but will pm you later with what I put so it might give you some ideas. can not promice it will be tonight but definatley by tomorrow

Lin

THANKS so much - i havent a clue what to write !

mel xx

Hi Mel,

I just went and dug out my paperwork on this, but it would appear that my form asked "how could these needs be met" rather than why I felt the school can not support my child.

I put on my application his need for support with social and communication issues and sensory problems. Examples for "how could these needs be" - a statement of special educational needs detailing XXX's need for a predictable routine, teaching and support staff trained in ASD's provinging consistent and ongoing support, smaller classes with appropriate lighting, support with confidence and self esteem. ASD specific social and communication prgrams would be paramount.

As ever every child is different and in our case our DS is academically bright, but struggled to fit into the school environment. He has complex difficulties realting to social, communication, sensory impairment and anxiety which is unpinned by having Asperger Sydrome. In my application I ensured I commented on the support school, the SENCO, CAMHS and Autism Out Reach had given but added this sadly did not move things forward, inafct my child had actually become worse. I also added that AS is a life long condition without a cure (its amazing how some school staff think there is ?) but with the appropriate understanding, support, environment and teaching style there is no reason why XXX should not florish.

Don't know if any of that helps ???

I am happy for you to pm me if you'd like to ask more.

Good luck !

Clare x x x

hes had an IEP and been on SA for the past 4 years and SA+ for the past 2 years - but still is so, so behind all the other children in his class.

It is not so much that he is behind his peers (though if his IQ is average he shouldn't be too far behind), but that he is not making adequate progress. Do you have anything to prove this? Have his IEP targets been reached each time?