Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

What info/booklets/leaflets would you pass on?

Need you help guys.

My 2 yr old's pre-school manager and I got talking today, and she asked if I had any 'bits' that I could share with her (They have had 1 child in the past with Autism, and they have suspicions arising about a child at the minute). Me being me, I thought I did as I have been given so much stuff from paeds/school nurse/CAHMS etc over the years, so I said yes, "I'm sure I have some things, I'll have a look and get back to you". Now, I've just searched everywhere I can think of and can't find a damn thing, yet I know that I have stuff hanging around as I came across them the other day.

Anyway... What sort of things would you pass on if you were in my situation? (bearing in mind that nursery has access to portage and inclusion officers)

Hampshire's "The Autistic Spectrum - approaches to facilitate inclusion in mainstream schools" booklet is very good. It gives a description of some of the problems a child might have and suggests strategies to help. It is aimed at schools, but would be useful to pre-schools too. Hampshire also do a booklet on the THOMAS approach which they might find useful.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/childrens-service...ublications.htm

Tony Attwood's book is the best, but might be a bit off-putting for her as it is quite long.

I found this book really simple and helpful and have given it to family members and ds's teachers and support staff to read. 'Can I tell you about Asperger Syndome - A guide for friends and family' by Jude Welton

HTH

Claire

I'd be happy to pop an info pack in the post :)

Would you? That would be fantastic! (pm me to let me know what you want towards the cost of it please!)

Cheers mate!

The best book I ever read is called

The Out-Of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz

its from the sensory view point for ASD and other conditons.