Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Uni Accommodation

Some of you might remember that previously I had massive problems with other students in my hall - I was being badly bullied, students were breaking rules, it was incredibly noisy etc etc. It took a long time, but I finally (after several meetings) got my hall managers to understand something of ASDs and they've on the whole tried to help (and made lots of mistakes along the way,but at least they tried... :rolleyes:) although I often get the impression that they're too busy for me.

I now have a problem that I'm not sure who to go to (if anyone) with and what to do about it as it's really starting to get me down despite my generally happy mood at the moment. I went to bed in tears last night because of it. :tearful:

My university participates in the exchange programme with American Universities. It means several of their students come to us for half a year. These students moved in two weeks ago.

A number of the girls have been placed on my corridor, including one in the room opposite me. This group are very very loud and their screeching cuts right through me. They often group and 'chat' (read as 'shout at each other') outside my door, they yell down the corridor to each other, get drunk every night and come in pissed at 3am waking me up, bash their radiators and walls and the noise travels (lovely thin walls...), throw their rubbish out of their room into the corridor causing a stench which really gets to me because they can't be bothered to walk to the bins (which really aren't much of a detour from leaving the building :wallbash:).

The trouble is, despite all of the above, they aren't actually breaking any hall regulations, just being very very annoying and selfish. I also recognise that some of these issues will not be issues for others because, for instance, I am very noise sensitive which is why their yelling/loud conversations physically hurt :(

So what can I do? Please don't suggest that I talk to them because I can't, but I also can't go to the hall managers as the girls aren't breaking the rules.

are you 100% sure there is nothing in the university accodmodation policy/rules on respecting other people?? or not making excessive noise?? The policys i read for my halls did meantion respect and keeping noise down etc, but i guess each uni is different.

Also with your ASD its not about the "rules", you have needs as a disabled person and with ASD's that can include decent behaviour and respect for your privacy and need for reasonable noise levels.

They are being disrespectful and inconsiderate albeit unwittingly!!

I do think it is a issue for the managers but on a disability front if the rules dont forbid it. Hell some unis have rules about slander of other students on facebook so youd think theyd have a rule somewhere about respecting privacy and being considerate. We arent saying they shouldnt get drunk if they choose, but should consider other students sleeping and speak in thier rooms.

email the university exchange office as well. US universities are very serious compared to ours, and if they're behaving like that the uni will want to know! either they're from a 'party' universityand are used to behaving badly, in which case your uni might not want more students from it, or they're running wild with the relaxed rules. either way the exchange will have rules far tighter than the universities general rules (for my exchange i was not allowed to engage in behaviour which would bring harm to the reputation of my home university, or damage the potential for future exchange)

Thanks both of you for sensible suggestions, but I am rather stuck:

are you 100% sure there is nothing in the university accodmodation policy/rules on respecting other people?? or not making excessive noise??

The rules on quiet only apply between the hours of 11:30pm and 8:30am and actually only relate to things like stereos, TVs etc. They do say in their beginning of term newsletter emailed to all students that at all times you should be courteous and noise shouldn't be audible outside of your room but a)this is not actually a rule so can't be enforced and b)the hall manager who lives on our corridor is just as bad having music loud enough to be clearly audible outside of his flat so I guess the students think well if he does it we can and if the students were challenged they could just say well the hall manager does... :wallbash:

or they're running wild with the relaxed rules.

From the content of their conversations I would say it's this that applies. It doesn't help that they are undergrad students (so probably about 19 years old) and my corridor is a postgrad/mature students corridor so is normally fairly quiet - the trouble is the hall can't predict who will leave in the first term and where the spaces will be and it just happens that the empty rooms this semester are on my corridor.

They do say in their beginning of term newsletter emailed to all students that at all times you should be courteous and noise shouldn't be audible outside of your room but a)this is not actually a rule so can't be enforced and b)the hall manager who lives on our corridor is just as bad

Well on that case you might be able to work side ways around it as they have ignored an instruction/request from the university in the newsletter. I still reckon the disability route might be the best avenue. Not how anyone wants to play it really but your left with little choice as letting yourself get ill because of them isnt a practical option nor a healthy one.

I think you're within your rights to protest. Noise at 3 am would be considered unreasonable by most people's standards.

K x

Well I've emailed my main hall manager and asked for a meeting. I'll write down the main points so I can make them clearly (she knows about my ASD) and see what happens and where to take things next if need be.

From previous experience, when students are spoken too, they initially respond by being even louder and more annoying (I'm prepared this time, extra ear plugs in and batteries for my MP3 player and noise cancelling headphones and I'll remove my food from the fridge so it can't be 'tampered' with :lol:) then settle down for a reasonable time till it all starts up again. But I have to do something as it is affecting me and my health.

I would think excessive noise at 3am would be reason to complain and also rubbish in the halls is plainly disrespectful to the Uni property and I would think frowned upon - and if not it should be.

I hope the meeting goes okay. It might be the settle down after a few more weeks anyway, two weeks in will still feel like a 'holiday' for US students here I would have thought.

Lynne x

I hope the meeting goes okay. It might be the settle down after a few more weeks anyway, two weeks in will still feel like a 'holiday' for US students here I would have thought.

the whole term will feel like a holiday! my work load at the US university was 4 hours of class a day, followed by 6 hours reading novels and textbooks for the next days classes where you'd be questioned on it, followed by 4 hours writing papers and completing assignments! that said, traditionally US students do worse in the exchange than the UK students precisely because of the way the ones in Mumbles halls are behaving. they run wild, then can't cope when it gets to a week before the end of term and they've not done any work and suddenly have to write a load of essays.

complain to the halls managers, but really do try to get hold of the exchange office, the US students are their responsibility and they'll have to deal with them. their behaviour isn't a problem because you have AS. it would be a problem for an NT as well, so dont hesitate to just say what they're doing!

There are very similar rules present in our flats. I was put with people deemed to be quiet and rule abiding, although I still have problems with them not cleaning the kitchen on a regular basis. This has been something to get used to. Disability Services fully know any issues with accommodation and have sorted these out where possible.

It is unaceptable they are creating noise at the wrong times, although somewhat predictable. It also sounds like they are stubborn to respect your values. However, a balance has to be achieved - I largely have to ignore any problems here (except when the door is left unlocked!)