Sign in to follow this  
allsetuk

DLA renewal -request school report

Im feeling really freaked out, I sent of my DLA renewal for my son aged 6 half, who has had DLA for coming up 2 years, after diagnosis. They have written to me this morning saying they have approached school for a report , when my sons teacher had already written a letter of support that was included in the DLA paperwork when i sent it back. why have they done this ? Does anyone know?

if school mess this up , by writing that everything is fine becuase he tries really hard to hide his true feelings as he is petrified of breaking rules.

i have been ill for about 3 months and at the end of my tether, autism just seems to have taken over every minute of every day and I cannot understand why they have written to school for a report when they have got one , my son behaves very differently at school than at home and the reason he can just about cope at school is because of the 100% colling off time i give him. But his teacher already explained all his issues with food, repetition, work, literal understanding, misunderstanding, pressure on himself to get everything right etc

School dont know that the second he leaves he will lie down and cry cos his stomach hurts when he walks , school dont know that we are prisinors in our home cos he doesn't want to go anywhere , school dont know that i cant get him to wash his hands ever , or it takes 30 minutes of tears to brush his teeth just once a day. School dont know it takes 2 hours to get him dressed or he needs melatonin to get to sleep , or that i have to sleep next to him as if he even senses that he has been alone in a room for a second he will scream and talk about nothing else for days.

Sorry for spelling mistakes im so upset

Edited by allsetuk

If the teacher has already written a supportive letter, presumably she'll just repeat that in the school report? Why does this worry you so much?

The school can only report on what they see there BUT your evidence evidences what you see at home and they can look at both things together.

Why does it worry me so much ????

it worrys me becuase my son is a perfectionist and tries incredibly hard to hold it all together at school, it worries me as i havent the strength to start fighting in a tribunal and i have heard horror stories, from many people on here who are already vunerable and having to fight constantly to get any help at all, i also have no clue if in fact if it is just a letter or a series of questions in a dla style questionnaire. its just a load more to worry about when im already at my wits end!!

My lad is like your and tries not to let things show at school so til recently they have thought he was an angel yet the second he leaves the school he is like the devil's spawn...im the same my life is taken over by it...I dread leaving the house most of the time cos I never know what he will do next. I get dla for my lad n when it needed renewing they did the same n approached the school even tho the school had already written a letter supporting it, think it is just red tape to be honest....nothing changed n my lad still gets it.

Im feeling really freaked out, I sent of my DLA renewal for my son aged 6 half, who has had DLA for coming up 2 years, after diagnosis. They have written to me this morning saying they have approached school for a report , when my sons teacher had already written a letter of support that was included in the DLA paperwork when i sent it back. why have they done this ? Does anyone know?

if school mess this up , by writing that everything is fine becuase he tries really hard to hide his true feelings as he is petrified of breaking rules.

i have been ill for about 3 months and at the end of my tether, autism just seems to have taken over every minute of every day and I cannot understand why they have written to school for a report when they have got one , my son behaves very differently at school than at home and the reason he can just about cope at school is because of the 100% colling off time i give him. But his teacher already explained all his issues with food, repetition, work, literal understanding, misunderstanding, pressure on himself to get everything right etc

School dont know that the second he leaves he will lie down and cry cos his stomach hurts when he walks , school dont know that we are prisinors in our home cos he doesn't want to go anywhere , school dont know that i cant get him to wash his hands ever , or it takes 30 minutes of tears to brush his teeth just once a day. School dont know it takes 2 hours to get him dressed or he needs melatonin to get to sleep , or that i have to sleep next to him as if he even senses that he has been alone in a room for a second he will scream and talk about nothing else for days.

Sorry for spelling mistakes im so upset

Hi.I understand your feelings.We are in the process of applying for DLA for Ben.I sent off a load of paperwork.DLA have already requested a report from CAMHS [who did not understand very well how much support Ben needs at home.]I sent an OT report.They have now written to school.

I don't think it is personal.I think they just want to be very thorough before deciding to committ any money. :rolleyes::wallbash: Karen.

They requested information from school for our DLA claim and I cant say it gave my any worries at all, so don't really understand what the problem is. If his teacher has already explain about him to you satisfaction, then surely anything the school put will reflect what the teacher has already said.

One of the reasons that they request information directly from the school is to try get an unbiased view.

I didn't mean why were you worrying in a bigger sense - I totally get all that and have been through a Tribunal myself, but if the teacher is already supportive, why is it panicking you? Not trying to be unsympathetic, but I genuinely don't understand why it's panicking you if they already said the right things the first time - why wouldn't they the second time?

Hi, I remember thinking similarly to you when I first applied for DLA for my son (I actually didn't think we'd get it at all, I just applied so that I could wave the refusal letter in the face of everybody who had been nagging me to apply for it. The reason I didn't think we'd get it is because my dad has been confined to a wheelchair since having a stroke ten years ago, his DLA was stopped completely after a year even though his needs hadn't changed and my parents had to go to appeal to get it reinstated).

I was pretty sure that the school wouldn't "back us up" because they didn't agree with the various diagnoses that the paediatrician and hospital consultant had given to my son. I also didn't think our GP would "back us up" because we hadn't been to see her in relation to any difficulties my son was having, we just stuck with the paediatritian and hospital doctors for all of that.

Anyway, they surprisingly awarded it to my son straight away. What I'm basically trying to say is that, despite what you feel the school might write, you can never be sure of the decision until the brown envelope drops onto your doormat and you may be surprised like I was.

Sharon

I know how this feels a little bit. I am waiting on the reply from my first DLA attempt. I keep thinking that everyone is going to tell them that Lib is not that bad and that she doesn't need extra care. When I think about it though, Lib is going to be herself no matter what so I would assume that the teachers and doctors will only be telling the DLA the same as me although I too worry about whether maybe she is sometimes worse at home than school. There is also the fact that the doctor has only ever seen her a handful of times and would not really know about all of the extra things we do at home for her. I just hope that I don't have to go to a tribunal like so many on this forum have had to do. I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully it is all just red tape and it will be sorted soon. -Skye

I think this is pretty standard. First time we applied they wrote to nursery for a more detailed report and last time we did his renewal I think I contacted school. We had no problems either time and got the appropriate reward. If school wrote a supportive letter initially then hopefully any detailed report will be along similar lines

Lx

Hi,

I can understand fully where you are coming from, We have just before Christmas received DLA , and my dx son can is a different child in school , but before and after can be a nightmare, .. The Dla asked for a report from school in which, he received one from the SENCO who taught him in reception!!! and one to say that they didnt see any problems at all in school only that he is slightly behind in some subjects..

I put loads of extras on the Dla form and even phoned the descion makers to speak and explain to them, I also asked them to get a report from the paedatrician who did the dx, which they did...

One fight over!!! now I still have problems trying to convince school that he may need extra support there, as it can be terrible some mornings just getting him to school, so would appreciate any advice there!!! have got the inclusion team going in on Thursday and have had to chase the Ed P, so speaking to her tomorrow,.. I am too only just finding info out on here, thought I was being paranoid on how different they can be at school to home...

We went through brushing his teeth, and the tears and sensory issues,

Dont worry about the form , just put everything down... and it should be okay..

x