Sign in to follow this  
peaches

DLA thanks!

I applied for DLA before our lads diagnosis was made final, thanks to encouragement from people on here. It seemed to take no time at all and we get higher rate care and lower rate mobility. Citizens Advice filled in our forms. If you havent claimed yet its worth a try, the amount we have been granted will enable us to move to a slightly larger house to give our lad more room to play and an escape from his sisters!!!

Im really pleased. Thanks to all of you who wrote the sections on DLA and also contributed to my thread. >:D<<'>

I applied for DLA before our lads diagnosis was made final, thanks to encouragement from people on here. It seemed to take no time at all and we get higher rate care and lower rate mobility. Citizens Advice filled in our forms. If you havent claimed yet its worth a try, the amount we have been granted will enable us to move to a slightly larger house to give our lad more room to play and an escape from his sisters!!!

Im really pleased. Thanks to all of you who wrote the sections on DLA and also contributed to my thread. >:D<<'>

Thread here:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...c=19836&hl=

Hi Peaches

Fantastic! Really pleased for you. It's so sad that you're not told as a matter of course of a possible entitlement to DLA.

Like you, we moved from a shoe box mid-terraced property with no back garden to a detached bungalow (it required complete renovation and still resembles a museum!) with a large enclosed back garden. I initially felt guilty about using DLA for this purpose, but then the move was about giving R space, independence, privacy and providing a house that he can grow into (attic has huge potential) - all of which is essential. I think we're all a lot happier too. DLA can make a big difference.

Caroline.

Hi, Brilliant news, it opens doors to other benefits and rights too, good on you, and hope the move goes well.

We moved in May to a larger property so he could have a sensory room, with the help of his DLA we equipted it with a lot of things we otherwise wouldnt of had the opportunity to purchase for him and it has really benefited him, his sensory room equiptment is ongoing, from relaxing cds to activity booklets, and cd roms to help him work throw his difficulties.

I am chuffed to bits you got it, and like you said it didnt take long either so the worry of ifs are gone now.

JsMum

:thumbs:

Peaches, well done, this is great news. Like Tally says, you could get Carer's Allowance too. If you don't work or you only earn up to a certain amount per week (sorry, can't remember the amount off-hand), then you're autmatically entitled to claim Carer's Allowance also. I didn't know this for over two years after being awarded DLA and it's worth having.

~ Mel ~

Great news :)

Did you know that if he is getting higher rate care, you may be entitled to Carer's Allowance?

I think that I found I couldnt get it because I am on Incapacity Benefit, but will look into it again. Husband wont get it because he is working.

Also, we got the diagnosis yesterday and although it wasnt really a surprise I was surprised that his problems are so complex. So of course I had a sleepless night, like ya do! I cant work out if to move area or not.

That's brilliant news! I actually applied for DLA after reading a thread about getting DLA before diagnosis. It may have even been the one you posted. I am still awaiting word about this but I am really happy to hear that it went in your favor! -Skye

Hi ;peaches I am really pleased for you I hope you don't mind me asking but my son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with aspergers 4 years ago he is in mainstream school would he be able to get DLA do you think? I would appreciate your advice and also where to I enquire about it

thanks

Congratulations on getting the DLA award peaches. You did not mention so wondered if you have also notified child tax credits, as they will increase if the children you care for get any level of DLA (it is more if the child receives higher rate care - classed as severe disabled by tax credits) I think your tax credits will be backdated to the time you got your DLA awarded from, but there may be a time frame they will pay your backdated money to, so best to tell them as soon as possible.

Jonathan,

it is worth considering if you/ anyone else gives more help to your child than you would expect for his age, because of his disability. Does your son get extra help at school? Does he have lots of help at home? help from other professionals? What about his personal care, supervision needs? Do you consider them to be more that another 9yr old? If so then it is worth applying. I do have a pdf file that helps you fill in a form for children under 16 on "mental health" grounds - dont be offended its just the "physical" health grounds is more about children who have a physical disability preventing them getting around, the sort of problems you have with ASD fit more with this, although of course both may apply. This could be downloaded from a website but I tried it today and no luck, seems to be no longer a link with server but if you want I could try and send you this - not sure I can attach it to a post on the forum though..... if anyone can help then great. the web address which does not seem to work now is www.bhas.org.uk they had lots of helpful info. on applying its a great shame if it no longer works.

I know someone who is an adult who receives DLA for themselves for a medical condition and whose partner also does receieve DLA for a completely different thing. Both are physical illnesses though, affecting mobility and requiring care obviously.They told me that some benefits person told the hubby to apply for carers allowance for helping wife, even though he could not get money because of receiving some other benefit (incapacity benefit??) but it would mean that they would get an underlying entitlement to it, and it would increase some other benefit.

I am confused, how can you get benefit for caring for someone if you need care yourself and are registered disabled? Can someone explain to me as I have never heard this before and am a bit confused about it... (I hate not understanding it!!!)

peaches if it is true i wonder if same applies to your situation that you would have underlying entitlement to it and get some extra money another way??? thats what set me off thinking about it!

Edited by westie