Sign in to follow this  
kinky j

The new flavours of crisps

The leading crisp brand (often associated with that big-eared goit who played footbal) have brought out new flavours. These are:

Cajun squirrel

Fish and chips

Crispy duck and hoi-sin

Onion bhagi

Builder's breakfast

Chilli and chocolate

Well, the curiosity got too much to bear so me and him decided that we HAD to know what squirrel tastes like. In the end we deciced to try the top three flavours (as they were the only ones in the shop)..........wish I hadn't now though! They were gross :sick: but now I'm curious what the other three are like?

So, has anyone tried any? what did you think? and does anyone have any idea how they know what squirrel tastes like? :huh:

Found this article which specifies the ingredients which go into the Cajun squirrel flavour and asserts that no squirrels were harmed in the process:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fo...on-1242591.html

All of them sound pretty gross. :sick::sick:

What's next? Curried vole?

Me, I'll stick to good old Salt n' Vinegar, - simply the best. :thumbs:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Does no-one recall the classics, spawned from past suchlike campaigns (for a different brand, now amalgamated with the one endorsed by the Big-eared smiley chap, come to think of it, hmm....)

They included Spider flavour and Iron Brew (NOT the TM name there!!) flavoured crisps.......

I think Hedgehog featured in that motley collection too.....as I recall, us kiddleys deduced that Hedgehog was just a half and half mix of Beef and Chicken flavours. Strangely tungly on the ting!!

Presumably they taste something like

this

:unsure::sick:

K x

I see that the recipe includes instructions for cooking in a Dutch Oven - how very economical! I'm all for food you don't even have to leave bed to cook too; though my experiments with the toasting fork and a box of matches proved disasterous (I didn't think they were allowed to use flammable filler in quilts these days!).

They did hedgehog flavour crisps for a limited edition years ago, but they weren't very authentic tasting because they hadn't factored in the clay overwrap or bonfire smoke (anybody got any knifes they want sharpenin' or paths that need tarmackin'?).

Ben and I are both quite keen, accherley, to try squirrel as all the reports we've heard suggest it's rather tasty. We're not quite daft enough to pay �4.00 each for them (the going rate from the wholesaler), though, so we'll wait for summer and hunting season (cue Elmer Fudd vocals: 'We want squirrel stew, squirrel stew, squirrel stew/We want squirrel stew; Squiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-wal Stewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... wahahahaha!).

Li'l' Lithping Tommi has a nice recipe for popcorn squirrel :

Yum yum

While Hugh's ragout will warm you through and through, Och aye the noo:

Plenty for two -Woo hoo!

Does anyone know if the squirrel crisps have gluten and dairy in? :unsure:

:D

PS: Kathryn - I've heard you can get squirrel biltong now too :) Stick that in your hummus and lick it!

PS: Kathryn - I've heard you can get squirrel biltong now too :)

:P

I think you can turn anything into biltong actually. I've had ostrich biltong, but then I dislike ostriches so don't mind eating them.

Does anyone know if the squirrel crisps have gluten and dairy in?

Don't know but they probably contain traces of nuts.. ;)

K x

thanks guys, won't bother buying anymore flavours...we got the duck ones as they seemed a kinda normal flavour....and they are odd!!!!

imagine how much you could save on weekly shopping if you ate local squirrels...hmmm

my father is buying me a flavour a week, i'm not sure why. the fish and chips ones were gross. tasted like oil and gone off fish (but i dont like fish and chips). the onion bhaji ones actually tasted of onion bhaji!. the builders breakfast was disappointing, didn't really taste of anything, too much mixed up. i wont be trying the chilli and chocolate ones, that doesn't interest me at all. the duck will just taste of chinese spice... squirrel i bet is chicken flavour!

my father is buying me a flavour a week, i'm not sure why. the fish and chips ones were gross. tasted like oil and gone off fish (but i dont like fish and chips). the onion bhaji ones actually tasted of onion bhaji!. the builders breakfast was disappointing, didn't really taste of anything, too much mixed up. i wont be trying the chilli and chocolate ones, that doesn't interest me at all. the duck will just taste of chinese spice... squirrel i bet is chicken flavour!

The squirrel ones taste exactly like the chicken ones which is probably why I liked them.

I have tried them all except Chilli and Chocolate, I just can't bring myself to buying them (yuk)

I thought the fish and chips ones tasted like the packets of scampi fries you get but covered in vinegar, and didn't like the builders breakfast much either.

Duck ones are nice as are the squirrel ones

The best ones (imo) are Onion Bhaji, they taste just like real bhajis and I would quite happily eat them with salad ( all crisps have to be edible with salad to me).

Just don't look at the pictures on the packets though because they look more like hairy testicles :blink:

I have tried them all except Chilli and Chocolate, I just can't bring myself to buying them (yuk)

I thought the fish and chips ones tasted like the packets of scampi fries you get but covered in vinegar, and didn't like the builders breakfast much either.

The best ones (imo) are Onion Bhaji, they taste just like real bhajis and I would quite happily eat them with salad ( all crisps have to be edible with salad to me).

Just don't look at the pictures on the packets though because they look more like hairy testicles :blink:

I actually thought about them being kind of like scampi fries (used to eat them a lot when I was younger :sick: )

Lol! At least I wasn't the only one who thought that about the picture on the onion bhaji one! :lol:

great will not be able to look at packet the same agian.... people will wonder why i have gone crazy laughing ato myself next time i go to a shop that sells them I bet...thanks guys !!!