Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Am I expecting too much?

L boards at school during the school week. They know just how difficult we find managing him at the minute, and they know that the relationship between L and my husband and his 3 brothers is 1 thread away from being totally non-existent, leaving the burden on me to sort out every little thing that goes wrong, and to act as a go-between/referee. There is a 'contract' in place whereby we need to 'work' with school/resi and they us. That is however, until it is a weekend, or a holiday, or a teacher training day, or they close the school because of snow.

Am I being unreasonable to expect at least a phonecall to see how we are managing/how things are? All I have had is a 30 second phone-call from the headteacher just now saying "Sorry Mrs ***, we have made the decision to close tomorrow as well. We hope to be able to have them back in tomorrow. Goodbye." (actually, I don't think there was even a goodbye!

Edited by fiorelli

I don't think you are expecting too much. I am no expert, having plenty of trouble of at school ourselves, but I think in most of our situations there should be regular contact. Especially about how things are going. It is that sort of contact that could make a difference to how to keep things going well, or how to make things better.

I only hear from school when things are bad! I don't think it is enough.

I think it depends on what the contract says. If it says they will help, advise and support you to manage your child at home, then yes. Otherwise it would be unusual to help with things other than getting him to go to school, sharing strategies, etc.