Sign in to follow this  
mom

problems at school

hye all

Have been reading the forum quiet a bit but now need some advice, son aged 6 primary 2 (aspergers) attends mainstream school has been of form for a week now, and acting strange cuping hands, sitting with eyes closed for long periods and crying when we arrive at school, yesterday he caused an awful scene so I went and picked him up early as I could not settle and arranged to met his teacher yesterday evening, my other son (4) attends an asd unit attached to the school so his teacher kindly offered to have 6 year old while i spoke with his teacher, at this meeting she was aware something was wrong as he had cried in school on thursday (Like why did they not call me) but explained he does not talk to her or bother with other kids, while i was at home thinking he was happy! at end of meeting we went to pick him up at unit and she told me she does not have special needs training which i am aware of and the unit is so fantastic for kids like my son! Was very cross when i came home was she saying he should be in the unit, educ psych insist a statement is of no benefit to my son as he is very intelligent and would only hold him back and he is well fit for mainstream unlike my youngest, i intend to monitor him over the next week and am meeting his teacher on Friday for an update, then I think I will contact educ psych for some advice! At my wits end at home worrying any advice!

Thanks

Mom to 15 adhd, 6 aspergers, 4 asd, adhd, gdd and 10 year old daughter!

What are you upset about then. Is it the fact the school didnt contact you earlier or the fact the teacher words have made you re think your sons needs? Being intelliegent and having the need for additional support is really common and whilst a shock isnt the end of the world/

Take a deep breath , have a coffee and tell us more

We are all here to listen and help >:D<<'>

What are you upset about then. Is it the fact the school didnt contact you earlier or the fact the teacher words have made you re think your sons needs? Being intelliegent and having the need for additional support is really common and whilst a shock isnt the end of the world/

Take a deep breath , have a coffee and tell us more

We are all here to listen and help >:D<<'>

Thanks for you're reply!

Upset that I wasnt called in at an earlier date and informed that there was in fact problems,not shocked at him needing extra support as although hes very smart hes a slow learner, also not sure what to do next proffesionals are saying he doesnt need extra support or a statement as this would hold him back and now I need to find the energy to see whats best for him and argue my case! Just when you think things are progressing nicely I seem to hit a stumbling block all in the joys I expect !

Having a bit of a crazy day with kids all at home so energy levels low hence the mood.... on the coffee lol

Thanks for you're reply!

Upset that I wasnt called in at an earlier date and informed that there was in fact problems,not shocked at him needing extra support as although hes very smart hes a slow learner, also not sure what to do next proffesionals are saying he doesnt need extra support or a statement as this would hold him back and now I need to find the energy to see whats best for him and argue my case! Just when you think things are progressing nicely I seem to hit a stumbling block all in the joys I expect !

Having a bit of a crazy day with kids all at home so energy levels low hence the mood.... on the coffee lol

Hi.I thought I would offer an opinion.Having a Statement of SEN or having support at School Action or Action Plus should enable a child to progress.If appropriate support is provided when it is needed there is no logical reason why it should hold them back.Ben is very bright and has AS and dyspraxia.Ben has a Statement and full time support in school.

It is difficult to obtain agreement from the LEA to conduct a Statutary Assessment if school cannot show that significant support has been provided already at School Action and School Action Plus.However it would be worth asking the SENCO for a meeting to discuss the level of support being provided.The school are usually provided with funds to provide support for children with SEN who do not have a Statement.So they should not be doing nothing simply because they believe a child does not require a Statement.

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....1763&a=8791

The link above may be useful.It contains lots of helpful information regarding education for parents.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Thanks Karen, will phone school in morning to make appointment with senco and take it from there... link is very useful..

Thanks again

Sharon