JeanneA

Rent

Hi I could do with some advice please, my 21 year old daughter Julie pays us rent of �40 a week, she's in full time employment earning quite a reasonable salery. The rent goes towards all food, electric, gas, doing her washing etc. but Julie sleeps round her boyfriend's parents house 6 or 7 nights out of 7. However, Julie still has dinner here after work, followed by a bath nearly every night (we haven't got a shower), also some other meals i.e. sandwiches, snacks etc. and she also has 'sky t.v'. in her bedroom which all comes out of the �40.

Do you think because she isn't hardly sleeping here anymore her rent should be reduced as she seems to think it should! I could really do with some advice thanks!

�40 sounds reasonable to me. The act of sleeping doesn't actually cost anything if you think about it, it's all the food and other things she uses like washing machines, hot water, t.v. that actually need to be paid for. Having a bed for the night is actually free.

~ Mel ~

I'd agree with oxgirl :)

Has the boyfriend's mum asked her to pay rent for sleeping there? So she wants two homes rent free then?! :lol:

If she and boyfriend have a look at their combined outgoings for accommodation and 'all in' meals etc, they'll find they're doing okay, I suspect. :) Or she could rent a flat and not sleep there and ask the landlord for 'sleeping away allowances'. :whistle:

:D

Hi no Julie's boyfriend's Mum has not asked Julie for any rent but that doesn't surprise me because they are really well off, whereas I am not!

I'd agree with oxgirl :)

Has the boyfriend's mum asked her to pay rent for sleeping there? So she wants two homes rent free then?! :lol:

If she and boyfriend have a look at their combined outgoings for accommodation and 'all in' meals etc, they'll find they're doing okay, I suspect. :) Or she could rent a flat and not sleep there and ask the landlord for 'sleeping away allowances'. :whistle:

:D

You could always agree to abolish rent and charge per item consumed so a bath is �2.50 a meal is �7 lunch is �5 laundry is �2 per load ironing is 70p per item charging her mobile ot TV for 1hour is 15p and so on I think she will realise �40 per week is cheap.

Um, I think �40 a week is cheap...my DS was paying �100 per month when he was working part-time, but maybe I'm a mean old trout! :lol: Just about to recalculate his housekeeping now he's gone full-time :devil:

Personally, I think if she is saving for something sensible, like the deposit on a flat, then �40 is OK, but if she's just got the rest of her wages for 'pocket money' I think she's taking the wotsit a wee bit! ;) She would be paying far more in a flat share!

HTH

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

No my daughter isn't saving for anything she spends all her money! I will carry on with charging her after all its up to her where she sleeps she still uses this place to come and have baths, meals etc. I have been too soft in the past so time to toughen up I think!

Hi

Sounds like she's using your house as a hotel. If she were to stay in a B&B or hotel she'd be paying around �40 per night - she's getting extras with you (washing, ironing, snacks, meals, etc). Might be worth broaching the subject with her - if she's unhappy about it, then you can justify why �40 is reasonable.

Best wishes

Caroline

Well sorry to go on yet again about this but my daughter Julie asked me outright last night (my husband Carl (her step-dad) wasn't in the room), if her rent could be reduced as she sleeps at her boyfriend's parents house every night now and only has an occasional bath here a week and some dinners (about 4 or 5 out of 7)!! I said 'no', £40 a week is cheap considering all her belongings are here and she has 'sky' tv in her room and she is here quite a bit during the day at the weekend plus she has some meals and I do her laundry. If she was renting elsewhere she would be paying double what she is paying here as my son does where he lives.

Please let me know what you think, am I doing the right thing in sticking by keeping her rent at £40 even though she isn't here much? My hubby Carl definately thinks so and will do reduce it. I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

Edited by JeanneA

Ooooh, I think I would have a bit of a chat with the cheeky wee madam! :lol:;)

If she rented elsewhere the landlord wouldn't care where she spent her nights, etc...she would still have to pay the full rent.

Personally I would say that as it's the start of the new financial year her rent is increasing in line with other price rises! I bet your gas, electricity and food bills have gone up...

Don't take any nonsense!

Boho >:D<<'> AKA The Wicked Witch of the West! :devil:

I agree with bid. I was way too soft with my daughter the year she lived at home after uni, & all sorts of resentments built up.

JP pays a similar amount of board to what you have set - I think its fair.

If she doesn't want to pay rent, then she doesn't want to keep any belongings at your house, doesn't want you to provide any of her meals, doesn't want you to provide sky in her room anymore and certainly doesn't want to have baths at your house?

She's 21, not 12 - she needs to realise that.

Thanks for your comments I will stick by my guns!

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU , YOU SHOULD STICK TO YOUR GUNS ON THIS ONE.

£40 IS VERY CHEAP IN TODAYS SOCIETY :thumbs:

Im with the others on this one tbh, I know that when I was living at home even on a part time job I had to give my mum 1/2 of what I was earning, out of the rest Ihad to pay for everything for my own car etc etc

I think you are being more than generous!!!

Thanks isme, I think she's lucky we haven't increased her rent :)

I agree with t'others - £40 goes nowhere nowadays with food the price it is. She's getting a good deal!

K x