Sign in to follow this  
mac4

New and novice parent of ASD kid

Hello

Wow I'm I glad to find this site!! Hi everyone I'm new, my daughter was dx with Aspergers on the 13th December 2008. I was given an information pack and this forum address was included.

My problem or one of many!!! Meltdowns; crikey its been meltdown city this week we have seemed to go from one epic shouting match with younger sibling into another (short School Holiday!!) My ear drums are battered!

Maybe its just been one of those weeks! I would love to hear from other parents on how you cope, goods books on tips, calming techniques and implementing them, as any new ideas immediately get my B's back up.

look forward to your replies

Welcome to the forum :)

Have you tried a visual timetable for the week with your daughter...that way she can see clearly when things are going to happen. You can adapt these for specific activities she may find difficult too, such as getting up/dressed, etc.

Bid :)

hello and welcome

Hello and welcome :thumbs:

My DS has always had problems with school holidays - he is very routine-driven, and finds it really hard when the day is a bit more unpredictable. I've found it helps to tell him what we're doing and when in advance. Of course that's not always possible and that's when we have problems. I've also found it helps to have a structured day followed by a calm day, so he doesn't get over stimulated. Yesterday we went up to London for a day out, and today we're doing nothing (in fact they are both still in their PJs :lol:). He's had plenty of time just playing with his cars and with the PS2, and just generally doing what he feels like doing. I really feel that it's good for them both to just 'chill' once in a while.

Take care

Nicky >:D<<'>

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the helpful replies.

We have put together a visual timetable and I stupidly forgot to use it during the holidays!!!!

I am going to start using it at the weekends so the days can be planned in advanced.

We have on going support from an educational psychologist and she mentioned a book called the Red Beast it's produced by Jessica Kingsley.

We bought this book and wow it's really good, they have other activities to do in the back and we made a red beast box and it really works. I am beginning to understand the vital need for things to be visual.

Thanks everyone for your replies.