Sign in to follow this  
joanne1

Visual cards?

I am sure i have read on some threads that some children use cards at school to show that they need time out or show how they are feeling etc. I hope I have got this right, please forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree. If there are these cards I think my son could make use out of them. He is 13 and has a real struggle at school. He is unable to express how he feels or more importantly WHY he feels a certain way. (usually angry) He does however display anger and frustration!!Which doesn't go down well at school. I thought that if I had the right idea about these cards and what they are used for, they may help him in school. He could show how he feels or what he wants without having to try and explain or when he can't, display bad behaviour.

I hope I have the right idea about it, and if I do , Do they work well for any of your children?

Where would I get some from?

Also do they take advantage of having the cards??

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated? And if I have got the wrong idea, I apologise!

Joanne

My son uses card in the class room, his are as well to say when he needs help etc so the teacher can see he wants/needs something without him having to say as he finds speaking up in the classroom hard.

The cards are made by the school they are nothing to special but are tailored to sure each child/situating.

>>I hope I have the right idea about it, and if I do , Do they work well for any of your children?

Where would I get some from?

Also do they take advantage of having the cards>>

One of my son's had a card. His teacher thought he would abuse it's use, but he did not. Because he knew he coudl leave the classroom at any time, he felt more relaxed, and hardly used it at all.

They can be made by anyone - you can have their favourite Pokemon or whatever on it.

The school needs to agree and needs to use it properly. In a secondary you need the support of the SENCO or Head of Year, so that all teachers will be told. It is no good telling the child to wait til the end of literacy or to start asking the child why he needs to go - they need to just let him go and calm down (to a specified safe place with a box of calming things). Sometimes a time limit is set (eg: 5 minutes) or just until they are calm and ready to come back to class. Then the Teacher can check if the child needs help.

This was R's time out contract.

Time-out Contract

When the Teacher shows R the card, or

when R shows the Teacher the card,

R will leave the classroom, without disturbing anybody,

and will go to the Unit

where he can read, colour or draw

for up to 10 minutes.

He will then either

return to the classroom and carry on with his work, or

collect his work from the classroom and do it in the Unit.

If he does not complete his work, he will bring it home to finish.

Child????????? Date???????

Head of Year??????????.

His card said:

Signs that R is stressed:

- more fidgety

- silly

- hyper

- giggly

- loud

- poor eye contact

When you see R is stressed, go over to him, show him the card, say "R, you need to go to time out".

He will need to take his books/rucksack.

R will go to the Unit and stay there for 10 minutes, doing something calming. He will then return, unless told otherwise by the Unit staff.

Hi Kazzen

Thanx for the info.

I think I may have a word with school and see if we can do this.

How old was your son when he was using these cards?

Joanne

Hi, my son was given a "time out card" which he could use at school if he needed to get out. Various themes have been used over the years to signal that he needed time out.

Would imagine that as long as school agree and are made aware of what it looks like and how it works (is it to be used by him, or both him and teacher as they may recognise warning signs before he does and head things off before meltdown) then the format of it (pokemon, other picture, words only) may be of his choice/ reflecting his interests.

His school teacher/ head teacher used to show a yellow card to signal time out, but this used to throw him off at deep end cause he related it to being in trouble like at football (rather than time out) but I suppose this may work for some...

A designated area to go to that is calming to him is important, going to toilets or something is not good idea - if my son did that and someone came over to speak to him while he angry he would explode at them (verbally and/or physically)

A couple of things that may help him to calm are a sensory book, if he likes that kind of thing. I am thinking about pages with textures such as bubble wrap, velcro, fur, sandpaper/ ridged card stuck to them that he can touch, and which may help to calm him down - if this would work he could keep it in the area/ or in his bag as it does not have to be a big page) My sons school made on of these and he did like to touch the page with bubble wrap. Music may also help to calm him.

Above is rather like Kazzen has described in her post, which seems to be a good, well thought out and planned system (wish I had read this a couple of yrs ago!)

When I was in my son's class last week I also noticed on his desk a keyring type thing with 3 pictures on with different coloured faces, one was red which said something like red face: "I def. need help with this", one orange face "I am not sure about this", one green face "I am ok with this"

my son is 10 by the way

I think it is for him to communicate with the teacher on how much help and support he needs with a particular task, which means he does not have to speak about it..... this sounds similar to Chris' card

Edited by westie

Hi westie

I think that sounds a good idea with coloured cards. He would certainly make use of that i am sure. Ds actually said that sometimes when he asks for help the teacher will be dealing with someone else and then go back to the desk. So he doesn't approach again!! Therefore doesn't get help. So that system could help! If they see that he definitely needs help with something.

I am glad i posted about this now. It just shows on here that advice and help through other peoples experiences can really help with new ideas and ways to benefit our children. Thanx for that

Joanne

Hi westie

I think that sounds a good idea with coloured cards. He would certainly make use of that i am sure. Ds actually said that sometimes when he asks for help the teacher will be dealing with someone else and then go back to the desk. So he doesn't approach again!! Therefore doesn't get help. So that system could help! If they see that he definitely needs help with something.

Joanne

Spoke to James' teacher today and she pointed me towards an excellent website called sparklebox which has all sorts of useful educational resources on that are free to download, INCLUDING the faces I mentioned that James uses in class to say whether he needs help! :thumbs: ,

see here

http://www.sparklebox2.co.uk/226-230/s2b230.html

and a couple of other useful ones that I found are:

http://www.sparklebox2.co.uk/thumbs36-40/s2b36.html - anger posters

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/parents/sen.html - links to pictures and info about emotions, and to use on daily planners and showing routines etc!!

There is so much more that I have not had chance to view but will post on here if I find anything else (I am sure there is a pinned thread for visual aids so may add these to this list as well as any others I find.

I agree if you post then you often find someone who has/ or is dealing with similar things and can help you find other/ additional/ different ways which may help your child and your family, thats why I really like it on here X :dance:

Edited by westie

Thanx for that I have added the sites to my favourites and will have a good look later.

You have been a big help and I will look out on here for any links you post when you have had chance to view them, if you find anything.

Joanne

Above is rather like Kazzen has described in her post, which seems to be a good, well thought out and planned system

Thanks - I devised it :rolleyes:

My son was in Years 7 and 8 when he used it (which is why it had a lot of detail on the card, as he had lots of different teachers).